Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT AERO half belt thread.

Cossack or Half Belt with these specs: Cordovan/FQHH/Alpaca/Black mouton?

• Half Belt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cossack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
This is may Aero 30' halbelt. I think that the fit is perfect for me: not too much short or long. I'm very satisfied. I hope the photos can help you.

Halfbelt32.jpg

Halfbelt2.jpg

icecold

One of the Regulars
Sierra Charriba said:
This is may Aero 30' halbelt. I think that the fit is perfect for me: not too much short or long. I'm very satisfied. I hope the photos can help you.

Thanks, i saw your thread a couple of weeks ago - that's actually pretty close to how mine fits. Looks great on you, and therefor makes me feel better about my own:)

winston

New in Town
I think you just have to ask whether you like the look or not, rather than worrying how it's supposed to fit. Aero even offer a long halfbelt, so factoring in different heights of owners there are probably a lot of jackets which fit like yours. Personally, if I was getting a halfbelt (and I nearly did) then I would want it longer than most examples, including aero's modelled jacket which you linked to. The coat is not exactly for warm weather and some of these jackets look like they would be drafty around the waist with anything but high-waisted trousers.

icecold

One of the Regulars
winston said:
I think you just have to ask whether you like the look or not, rather than worrying how it's supposed to fit. Aero even offer a long halfbelt, so factoring in different heights of owners there are probably a lot of jackets which fit like yours. Personally, if I was getting a halfbelt (and I nearly did) then I would want it longer than most examples, including aero's modelled jacket which you linked to. The coat is not exactly for warm weather and some of these jackets look like they would be drafty around the waist with anything but high-waisted trousers.

Simple words of wisdom here :) , and I'm an idiot - i basically like it, and obsess for no reason at all if it hits where "it should hit" at the waist... pathetic...

here are pictures of the fit
http://picasaweb.google.com/branco.p/UntitledAlbum#

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I should think there are many of us who have a picture in our minds of what things should look like ideally in the best of all worlds. Sometimes reality, and garments, have a hard time living up to this picture. [huh]

For what it's worth, the jacket seems a good fit.

But do you like it?

IMO...SierraCharriba's '30s Half Belt fits perfectly. I have several HBs..and would rather have them a little on the long side than too short. For me..if it doesn't at least cover the belt and buckle on a pair of normal denim jeans...the jacket just looks a poor fit.
HD

IndianaGeo

New in Town
My opinion

Hi Ice,
Personally I think the jacket looks great on you. I, like others, prefer a slightly longer fit. I think as the jacket breaks in more you'll be fine with a little extra length. Given that there's the long half belt option and the standard short version, I see nothing wrong with living with the best of both of those worlds. I really think you have a winner there.

icecold

One of the Regulars
Thanks a lot guys, some informed opinions here, with the added bonus that they're also reassuring :) . As always, pleasure to stup by here...
The mistake in the order turned out to be for the best. Needless to say, the quality of Aero is badazz. I particularly like the fact that the assembly is tough yet "unpolished". I.e. it leaves no doubt that this is a garment made out of several pieces of a dead noble anima :). The horse is dead, long live the horse!

Adam in Canada

New in Town
icecold said:
Hi there, I just received my Aero 30's halfbelt. The problem is that they messe up my order and made the body 2" longer. So now I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or return it, so that's why I ask:

How exactly is this jacket supposed to fit?
(For some reason I can't upload pictures, so let me describe).
Right now, the one I have falls about 2-3 inches below my belt. Which seems to be a tad long. Probably looks ok, but when I sit or bend, the jacket obstructs movement, plus I'm worried that this would ruin the zipper eventually. To make things worse, I'm an inch shorter than the model on their web page.

Speaking of which, on the other hand, the picture they have on the model on their own web-page seems to be a tad short
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...age?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=43

So now I'm completely torn between what is the good fit for this type of jacket. The slightly longer body i have seems to result in pretty different silhouette, but then again, the really short - barely-covering-the belt cut also seems to be a bit too "ambitious", no? Obviously, the biggest concer is dealing with returning, waiting, exchanging, etc., etc., etc. So any input that would helpm me make up my midn will be greatly appreciated!!

Can you tell me what size you ordered? I'm building a custom 1930s halfbelt slim fit with bootlegger front, and I'm trying to work out the length. I don't want a short jacket (ie: sitting at the belt line of a typical low waist jeans; I want it longer than that, at least a couple inches below the belt line), but don't want a barstomer length jacket either. Yours looks to be a good length, as does SierraChariba's. I'm thinking about 27" or so at the back; I realize there're a couple of inches of downward slope at the front of the jacket, too. I take a 44, and I'm 6'1".

By the way, your jacket look terrific, in my opinion.

Adam

icecold

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, I wonder what period the long half belt style jacket (e.g. the Aero LHB) is typical of - is it a 30's design (like the short halfbelts), or is it more of a 50's design?

Fenton

Familiar Face
icecold said:
Hey guys, I wonder what period the long half belt style jacket (e.g. the Aero LHB) is typical of - is it a 30's design (like the short halfbelts), or is it more of a 50's design?

the storm cuffs are rather typical of the 1950s ... otherwise it's 1930s/1940s

icecold

One of the Regulars
Fenton said:
the storm cuffs are rather typical of the 1950s ... otherwise it's 1930s/1940s

Thank you, that's exactly why I asked - I'm contemplating ordering a LHB, but with button cuffs (cossack/30's hb style). instead of storm cuffs, so it seems this design would make it even more 'authentic'?
I appreciate aero's willingngess to accompdate pretty much any request, but I also don't want to create some mumbo jumbo of features with shaky or no :eek: historical correlate

Fenton

Familiar Face
icecold said:
Thank you, that's exactly why I asked - I'm contemplating ordering a LHB, but with button cuffs (cossack/30's hb style). instead of storm cuffs, so it seems this design would make it even more 'authentic'?
I appreciate aero's willingngess to accompdate pretty much any request, but I also don't want to create some mumbo jumbo of features with shaky or no :eek: historical correlate

great choice! I was thinking about something similar for my next jacket. I really like the LHB but there are a few things I'd change (e.g. straight outside pocket, 1930s button cuffs) ... IMO the storm cuffs go really well with the highwayman but don't look too convincing on halfbelts.

khoge1@optonlin

New in Town
Long Halfbelt questions

Hello,
I am planning to buy a new leather jacket, having outgrown my old college many years ago. I have just about settled on an Aero Long Halfbelt. I want a longer jacket or short coat. I do not ride a motorcycle and plan to use it for walking in the city and burbs, in casual attire.

I have learned a great deal from this forum. This thread, in particular, has been useful. Unfortunately, many of the older pictures have been removed. Like many of you, I find seeing how the jackets look on real people to be extremely helpful. Is there any way that these pictures could be restored?

I find the FQHH to be very attractive and it is clearly the most popular. I find the oil pull to be very nice as well and have scoured the posts for all the pictures that I can find. I do know about Mark Moye and have exchanged a few emails with him. And I have been to his site many times.

Paddy had posted some pictures of his oil pull jacket and these too have been removed.

Your help is appreciated.

3-seasonner

good question, doublegun - i voted for the halfbelt with fur collar, but without extra warm lining for certain reasons:

- the HFQ is thick enough to give very good windshield
- the fur collar will warm your neck and throat (very important agains chilly feeling
- it has storm cuffs (!!) against blowing wind on bycicle for instance
- the standard cotton twill allows to wear a thin sweater for "onion style protection"
- jacket is still light enough to go with a light shirt or T-shirt on warmer days in the spring

1.jpg
[/IMG]
2.jpg
[/IMG]

Klemmi

New in Town
it's here....!!!

Aero 50's Half-Belt brown FQHH

First flashlight pics:

Size 44 (+1" Body, i like it a little longer)

LHB Back

two insidepockets

Royal Steward tartan lining

Inside Windflap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner