Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT AERO half belt thread.

Cossack or Half Belt with these specs: Cordovan/FQHH/Alpaca/Black mouton?

• Half Belt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cossack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Wow - that jacket looks amazing - it fits perfect. Must be nice having something custoem made like that to your exact specifications. That is the exact jacket that I want and will be ordering from Aero myself. I think the cordovan looks smashing!

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket. I've had my Highwayman for about 5 weeks now, and it just keeps getting better. Love it.

Don't be intimidated by the initial break-in. It won't take long before it loses a lot of its stiffness. Show it who's boss.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a cordovan Barnstormer next. Or maybe a cordovan Mariner. Or a Halfbelt. Or, or, or.

I can see how Aero jackets can be an expensive habit. They make so many cool styles. I call them a work of art in leather.

nerdator

New in Town
Alpaca lining

I find it pretty warm with the Alpaca lining, but just the sensation of it when you touch or squeeze it makes it worthwhile... for me it's just a shirt under the jacket right now, for work, it's not that cold anymore, and I want to keep it on, even if it's a little warmer than usual, to break it in [huh]
there is one thing I have to get used to, except for the breaking in, it's the inside pocket that is missing. If you are used to it and cannot do without it, then you should consider it as an extra option.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brian, when you are in touch with Aero Re: Jacket.

Remember, they are making this jacket up for YOU, so when it comes to the lining, you have some choice, okay...?

It may be that alpaca is your thing, but they had a nice range of horse blanket from the 1930's that they found 'bolts of' in one of the old Scottish border woolen mills when it was closing down (they don't make this stuff anymore!!), or you could have a heavy Harris Tweed woven lining...etc, etc. Speak to Amanda about it and she will send you out swatches on request.

Lost and Found bolts of beautiful Blanket

I have an antique steer '30s style HalfBelt with the "heavy" blanket lining that Paddy is talking about. This lining is quite different that Aero's normal blanket lining. A much heavier more nubby robust muted plaid that Aero generally saved for some Barnstormer jackets...and in limited supply. If this lining is still available..I highly recommend it. The warmth and wear quality is fantastic! What A find!;)
HD

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great!

Nerdator, I'm glad you went with the Halfbelt. The style, the colour, the fit looks great on you.

Mr H, I've got the alpaca lining, and it's plenty warm enough to wear just a shirt under the jacket. It's soft, too. But bear in mind I don't live in a very cold climate compared to where you live.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Just ordered one

Ordered in Cordovan horse with the red tartan wool lining and G-1 deep pistol pocket (a must for riding). I have a Barnstormer in Cordovan steerhide, with the Alpaca wool lining, got it when Aero first started making them. Great jacket I think I will eventually order another in horse because there is no substitute for horse.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Congratulations on a beautiful jacket and perfect fit. I have always admired the cordovan FQHH but not gotten around to ordering one. I have a black highwayman and brown long halfbelt, both in FQHH. These are now fairly well broken in so perhaps it is time for a new FQHH jacket. :) I have considered the cordovan for a HB, barnstormer, or bootlegger (perhaps sans epaulettes).

cheers.

nerdator

New in Town
thank you everybody for all you good wishes and congratulations on my jacket. I wear it every day, as long it is not too warm, the mornings are still cold, the right time to wear it, but on my way home in the afternoon, I often find myself carrying it over my arm already :) and the best news is: it starts to break in, every day a little more. quest, you mentioned the bootlegger, I just like the looks of it, any experience with this beauty? because that could be my next one, in case I consider bying another one.... which is very likely...perhaps...:)

jacketquest

Familiar Face
nerdator said:
t... quest, you mentioned the bootlegger, I just like the looks of it, any experience with this beauty? because that could be my next one, in case I consider bying another one.... which is very likely...perhaps...:)

Nerdator,

I do not own a Bootlegger. I have seriously considered purchasing one though. I really like the offset zip and motorcycle style lapels. I saw a seal buffalo hide one that was spectacular. Mark Moye (US Aero agent) has pics of some on his site (please remove this is such links are not allowed).

Oil pull version:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4523742&uid=142228

FQHH version:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7487901&uid=142228

nerdator

New in Town
quest, I liked the links, thank you. I contacted Amanda at Aero, she told me they could make all the jackets I have an eye on --> the Highwayman, Hercules, Bootlegger or Windward. So there is a great deal of thinking for me to do till this year's winter...

kbuzz

New in Town
Aero Californian v. Hiway and Half Belt

As folks may know from my post last week i looking at aeros. Can anyone comment on the general cut/fit differences between the Californian and the Hiwayman and Half Belt.
I was dead set on a HW and saw the pic of the californian and now im intriguied.

Obviously, there are finishing differences but it appears that the HW is cut a bit shorter. Not sure how the half belt differs though. Any comments would be appreciated.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

All three jackets fit the same through the chest/shoulders/arms. The highwayman has adjusters at the bottom of the jacket, so it has a boxier silhouette. The halfbelt/californian, on the other hand, has adjusters at the waist. If you have a 'V' shaped torso, jackets with a halfbelt back will allow you to show it off.

I hope this helps,

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
My favorite Aero jacket is one they did for LVC about 3 or 4 years ago which was known as the Blue/Black. It was even shorter and trimmer than their 30's halfbelt and featured a waistband in the front. Much more distinctly 1930's than their other offerings. It's not among their regular catalog products but I'd wager they still have the patterns laying about if you ask nicely. Mine's made in a black buffalo hide but I'm sure it would look even better in a lightweight horsehide or goatskin.
I'll try and have a friend snap some shots of mine sometime in the next few days.

kbuzz

New in Town
LVC sounds interesting

Thanks for the reply. The LVC model sounds interesting. Particularly for those folks who are lanky and slim...like me...looking forward to the pics. I like the HW but me thinks it might be too short n square for us taller skinny guys

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Aero Long Half Belt

With fall weather looming, I broke down and ordered an Aero Long Half Belt from Mark Moye. Now I'll have to split time between it and my Highwayman.

Here's what I'm getting....

Brown FQHH
Brown cotton drill lining
One inside pocket
Vintage brass zip and hardware

We all know they ain't cheap (as in amount of dollars to purchase), but how many articles of clothing can you buy that will likely last decades, plus look so cool and function as a suit of armor? The exchange rate between the dollar and GBP isn't helping any either. Oh, well. Odds are it wasn't going to go down in price.

I really like the looks of the Long Half Belt. I kept hemming and hawing back and forth between it and the Californian, and the Cossack, and the Mariner, but the LHB won out for now.

Mark is shooting for getting it to me by the last week of October. Can't wait. Now all I have to do is explain spending almost 900 bucks on another jacket to my wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner