Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings and my new (old) G-1

Deacon211

One Too Many
I kind of dig the Cockpit vintage jackets. They seem to have a nice cut and the leather seems pretty substantial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gamma68

One Too Many
Nice jacket, and good fit. I'm happy it worked out for you. :) As for the button, these just may do the trick: (more than needed, but nice to have spares.. ;) )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Early-...505540?hash=item2ece695684:g:skEAAOSwnTJXAVjv

I went ahead and ordered these buttons. The seller says they're an exact match for the 1968 Martin Lane G-1. Thanks again for the link.

Gamma68,
Some here recommend a light application of paraffin wax to help the zipper run more smoothly. Simply rub the piece of wax lightly along the zipper teeth and it will provide a bit of lubrication. I tried this on a motorcycle jacket with a stiff zipper and it helped a bit.
Regarding the squeakiness, I have found that Pecards helped to quiet the jacket down. You may also find that simply wearing it regularly may help to reduce the squeaks. Who knows how many years it sat around unused and forgotten until you came along. A little excercise may be all it needs.

Following your advice, I bought some Gulf Wax and ran it along the zipper teeth. It's a bit messy as the paraffin flakes off all over, but the zipper does slide more smoothly now. I also thought of using graphite, but I imagine that's even messier.

Today, I tested Lexol leather cleaner in a small inconspicuous spot and it worked fine. So I used it to get out the faint remains of a few light white smudges. All that remains are two little white pinpoints (paint, I'm sure). The Lexol worked so well, I applied it lightly over the entire jacket. The leather feels more clean to the touch now and a little less stiff. Still squeaky. Looking forward to applying the Pecards once it arrives (Friday).

I'm loving this jacket. And after reading through a few other G-1 threads, I feel very fortunate to have found one that fits right off the bat at a great price. :)

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks, Tkecks. I hope to wear it for years to come.

I applied Pecards Antique Leather Dressing on Friday. It's clear that some areas of the coat (sleeves) are more dry than others. And one panel of the left sleeve still seems dry and may need a second coat.

How long should I leave the Pecards on before buffing off the excess? I tried to apply a light coat but the Pecards has not soaked in yet in many areas after 2.5 days and the jacket is still a little "greasy" to the touch.

Also, I cleaned the wool cuffs/waistband but think I might have inadvertently stretched out the knits too much. I mixed some cold water with Woolite in a spray bottle and sprayed the knits with a towel lying underneath. After blotting with a clean cloth, I sprayed the knits again with plain cold water, then blotted with a clean cloth. The knits seem clean, but they're also more loose. The good part is the jacket isn't riding up above my waist in back, but the knits are definitely not snug.

Is there anything I can do tighten up the knits? Seems to me I read somewhere that ironing them would achieve this, but I'm hesitant to apply heat and do more harm than good. There are also some holes and maybe three small tears. I believe the knits are serviceable and certainly not shredded, but at what point do I seek replacement cuffs?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Tkecks. I hope to wear it for years to come.

I applied Pecards Antique Leather Dressing on Friday. It's clear that some areas of the coat (sleeves) are more dry than others. And one panel of the left sleeve still seems dry and may need a second coat.

How long should I leave the Pecards on before buffing off the excess? I tried to apply a light coat but the Pecards has not soaked in yet in many areas after 2.5 days and the jacket is still a little "greasy" to the touch.

Also, I cleaned the wool cuffs/waistband but think I might have inadvertently stretched out the knits too much. I mixed some cold water with Woolite in a spray bottle and sprayed the knits with a towel lying underneath. After blotting with a clean cloth, I sprayed the knits again with plain cold water, then blotted with a clean cloth. The knits seem clean, but they're also more loose. The good part is the jacket isn't riding up above my waist in back, but the knits are definitely not snug.

Is there anything I can do tighten up the knits? Seems to me I read somewhere that ironing them would achieve this, but I'm hesitant to apply heat and do more harm than good. There are also some holes and maybe three small tears. I believe the knits are serviceable and certainly not shredded, but at what point do I seek replacement cuffs?
In my experience it usually takes about a week for the Pecards to soak in to the point where the greasy feeling disappeared. I brushed the jacket with a horsehair brush about a day after applying the Pecards and this helped to rub it in and remove any excess.
I do not know of any way to tighten up the knits, if you find something that works please share it with us! The knits on both of my vintage G-1s were shredded when they arrived so I had them replaced before I wore them. Replacement knits are readily available and they can really bring new life to an old jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
If the Pecard has not fully soaked in after 2.5 days, it isn't likely to soak in anymore. El Marro says a week, but I have never had the patience to wait more than a couple of days. The sections where it is still visible have absorbed all they are going to absorb. Go ahead and wipe off the excess. If other sections still feel dry, then give another Pecard treatment.

As to your squeak, there are two ways to treat it. The reason it squeaks and creaks is due to the threads moving against the leather. As an above poster stated, talcum powder on the threads may help. I prefer to rub Pecard into the threads in the area where it is squeaking. Let it sit for a day and then wipe off any excess. It has always worked for me.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I think the squeaking and creaking are gone. Pecards took care of that.

I might wait a little longer to buff the jacket. Like this evening. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait an entire week, LOL.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I thought of a new question while wiping excess Pecards off my jacket with a clean cloth. Perhaps this has been addressed before elsewhere.

Would my 1968 Martin Lane G-1 have originally been issued to a U.S. Navy pilot, or could this jacket have also been available to the civilian market at that time? Or could it have been available at some later date at an Army Surplus store or other retail outlet?

I tried contacting the eBay seller twice to ask if he knows about this particular jacket's history. But he hasn't replied, so I'm left to guess where my jacket has been and what it has seen.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I'm impressed: you did your research, made your purchase and now you're following-through with conditioning, etc. asking questions and getting advice. I think maybe "the hook is well-set" and that now you might have a new charming obsession collecting leather jackets - or at least drooling over other peoples' purchases like I am over yours. What a steal on a beautiful, well-fitting G-1 with bags of character.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for that information. And it would only have been issued to aviation personnel, correct?
Only aviation personnel would be authorized to wear the G-1. Don't know that they would be issued to officers as they receive a monthly clothing allowance. The first one may have been issued. I know I was issued a flight jacket while in flight school. Thereafter I was responsible for buying my own, if needed. They were available at the PX (BX for the Navy). Maybe an officer with more recent experience can let us know the current procedure.

For enlisted flight crew the flight jackets are issued.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I'm impressed: you did your research, made your purchase and now you're following-through with conditioning, etc. asking questions and getting advice. I think maybe "the hook is well-set" and that now you might have a new charming obsession collecting leather jackets - or at least drooling over other peoples' purchases like I am over yours. What a steal on a beautiful, well-fitting G-1 with bags of character.

Thanks for the compliment. When I become interested in a new area, I tend to dive in and soak up as much knowledge as possible. I've learned a great deal already from the members here. I suppose my next purchase would be an A-1 or A-2 for the warmer months.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Here are before/after images of my jacket after applying Pecards antique leather dressing (one coat on the entire coat, two coats over the front sleeve panel). The top image is "before," the one following (with jeans) is "after."

G-1_1.JPG
G-1_4.JPG

G-1_2.JPG
G-1_5.JPG

G-1_3.JPG
G-1_6.JPG

You may be able to see some difference in the darkness of the leather. The color seems almost washed out in the "before" images. The left sleeve in particular was really stiff and dry. I may go over the coat again in a few areas and apply another light coat, particularly at the upper chest which still seems a little stiff. But the leather dressing is close to finished. There is hardly any greasy feel to the leather, so I'd say it takes at least four to five days for that to dissipate.

The Pecards really helped make the leather more pliable and the jacket more enjoyable to wear. No squeaks or creaks! The set of replacement buttons has arrived and I'll have a tailor take care of the missing button.

Thanks again for all the care suggestions and advice. I'd like to think the aviator who first owned this jacket would be proud to see it being cared for so it will last at least another 48 years.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
That is absolutely incredible! I'm way jealous.

As to your earlier question, the flight jacket is technically flight equipment and not a uniform. It is by this theory that the flight jacket was (and still may be) restricted to on duty, on base status. That it isn't really a flight uniform (depending on who you talk to) anymore still tends to be beside the point.

So, in other words the jacket, like your flight suits, helmet, etc are all issued. By the same token you can "turn in" your jacket for a new one if it is unserviceable. These are highly desirable, so the naval services keep very close tabs who gets them, who gives them back, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner