Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guns and shooting advice?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I know there are a lot of gun enthusiasts here, so here I am asking you all for a little advice.

A friend of mine has convinced me to join her Second Amendment Sisters club and learn how to shoot. I won't go into my political views on guns here, but learning to shoot is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and I think it's important to learn proper gun use and safety, even if you never intend to own one. So... I'm going to go and I'm sure it will be a ton of fun.

So for you experts out there, any advice for a newbie? Things to keep in mind or things it might be helpful to know before I go? Things I should expect? Club members will provide guns and ammo for the beginners, as well as a safety class, but I'm sure I won't regret any additional information or prep I can get beforehand.

The first piece of advice from my father: "You should/will probably start with .22 caliber since they are inexpensive and kick much less. You will, at a minimum, need ear plugs. The course will probably require safety or shooting glasses. But these can be inexpensive."

Along with some other sage advice: "Don't tell mother! She will get very upset!" lol

Nick Charles

Practically Family
go to a range before hand and get used to the noise. Also don't start with a .22 a 38 revolver is perfect for beginners and their are alot of copanies that make ladies models.

The reason I say revolver is that for beginners they don't have a bunch of gimmick and safties to think about if the need arises to use it fast. They are most like instant cameras. Point and shoot.

Congrats and welcome to the first line of defense..:eusa_clap :D

vintage68

Practically Family
Any range that you go to will have safety glasses and earplugs for free (eyes and ears) for a very nominal fee (if not free). Usually they'll start you out with the simplest firearm, such as revolver. Your instructor will teach you the basics, so don't worry about all the terms.

Shooting is usually pretty dirty with all the lead, so wear some old clothes you don't mind getting soiled.

Just pay attention to your range instructor and you'll be fine. And oh yeah, don't forget to have fun.

Kitty, you might check out CorneredCat.com--run by a lady I know from another board, her advice might be useful.

The Four Rules, as a primer:
RULE 1: ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded, even if you know otherwise.
RULE 2: Don't point the muzzle at anything you're not prepared to destroy.
RULE 3: As my favorite blogger LawDog phrases it, "Keep your boogerhook off the bang-switch until you have immediate intent to fire."
RULE 4: Be certain of your target and everything beyond it--what's your "backstop"*?
*Backstop=whatever will finally stop the bullet at end-of-flight.

Personal experience: Beware the advice of "Gun Shop Commandos"--particularly if they insist that some calibers are "too big for women", which as a guy I find sexist and disgusting, not to mention untrue since I've personally seen none-too-solidly-built girls firing full-power .45s with good accuracy!

Also, try different things out and see what works best for you. If you can find someone who owns a copy of Mas Ayoob's Book of Combat Handgunnery, there's some really good advice about posture and "stance" in there. (If you can't find anyone with one, PM me and I'll see if I can dig up one of my copies and either scan that section or send it to you.)

Regardless of politics, welcome to the community!

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Battle Of The Heroes
via FoxyTunes

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Shooting is great fun and it isn't very difficult. Just go and enjoy yourself. Yes, to become an expert marksman requires much effort and practice, but to have a good time shooting only requires that you be safe. Just pay close attention to the rules of the range and you will be fine.

AF

On the Four Rules, here's a decent writeup, also.
http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

Personally, when I'm handed a weapon or handing one off I prefer that the action be in "OPEN" position during the transfer--on an auto, this means slide locked back, a revolver the cylinder swung out, on a break-open rifle or shotgun the chambers opened and on a semiauto rifle the magazine removed. Always confirm "unloaded" by both sight and feel, probing the chamber with a fingertip.

Happy shooting!

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Ice Chase
via FoxyTunes

Other advice, rent or borrow (assuming Boston doesn't have a New York City-type "License to Possess" requirement) before you buy if possible--always better to plunk down a $10-15 rental fee and find out you don't like something than the full several-hundred-$ retail and be stuck with an iron that doesn't fit you.

----------------
Now playing: Basil Poledouris - Kaboom!!!
via FoxyTunes

Feraud

Bartender
Obey the rules of the range, practice safe firearm handling, and most importantly.. enjoy yourself! Plinkin' with a .22 rifle is loads of fun.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Nick Charles said:
Because it isn't really necessary. You are spending money on a gun that you may only use for the class. Spending wisely is my only advise there.

Well no one's buying anything anytime soon! As I said, club members bring what they have so there are always extras for the beginners to use :)

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
First off, way to go! I'm sure you'll have fun with it, especially with such a positive attitude. Whenever I shoot indoors I always wear foam ear plugs and muffs over them. Gunshots are LOUD inside. Hearing is easily lost and impossible to replace. Other than that just pay attention to the safety class and keep your mind on what you're doing. Don't be intimidated by the rules; it is a serious business due to the danger of what can happen if you break the safety rules, but if you follow them the danger is minimal. Above all, have fun! :)

WH1

Practically Family
I agree with most everything stated previously, although I am a fan of the 22LR cartridge and firearm as it is excellent and inexpensive for practice. When I was instructing NRA courses I always started new shooters out with the 22 pistol so they could learn the basics.
My only addition to the advice already posted is remember a firearm is a tool not a toy and it is dangerous if used improperly just like any other tool such hammer or a chainsaw. They have no independant will and are only as dangerous as the individual handling them. ALSO HAVE FUN, I commend you on being willing to explore this regardless of your political views.

warbird

One Too Many
What WH1 said. If possible start with a .22 and a rifle at that. It will train you to pull the trigger and not flinch. They are also accurate and you will acclimate yourself to it quickly. You want to be comfortable and feel safe with the weapon. It will intimidate at first, but not for long.

Yeah you could shoot a .38 or bigger pistol, but why. The ones made for ladies are light with short barrels that aren't accurate for long distances and truthfully are not fun on the hands after a few shots. You made no mention of combat readiness simply that you want to learn to shoot. You can plink a .22 all day and not be bothered and not spend much money and get good fairly quickly. I have rifles which go from .17's to .470 Nitro Express African double guns to .50 BMG's. One of my favorite rifles to shoot is still my old Marlin .22 lever action. I shoot mistletoe out of the tops of tall trees with it near Christmas time every year.

You can handle just about anything after a bit of shooting and just work your way up shooting whatever your 2nd A sisters offer to let you try.

Oh and I will tell you what you also might love to try. Find some of the ladies who shoot skeet, trap or sporting clays. A 20 gauge and some moving clay targets are great fun and you will be amazed how fast you can pick it up.

Enjoy! That's the most important thing.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Congratulations and enjoy the experience. If someone has a good .22 they are super to shoot anytime for anyone! I've taught all my nieces and nephews to shoot and they are all very safe gunhandlers and shoot well. DB was right on target about the "gunshop commandos", don't be intimidated, but don't be worried either, unless some idiot tries to start you off with a 44 magnum! Wear some eye and ear protection, a t shirt with tight collar or button your shirt all the way up, hot brass down your collar is very uncomfortable. Comfortable shoes help too.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Kitty, this is great. Target shooting can be lots of fun.

The best safety advice you've already gotten, and having experienced shooters nearby will help you greatly.

My advice is from a guy with weak wrists and small hands (my friends call them Lady Hands... not cool), so I hope it's helpful in a very, eh-hem, targeted way.

For your first experience, try different calibers. I have fired the so called "Lady's models" before in a 38 cal. Usually that just means a light-weight frame. Skip those and fire steel frame if you can. The heavier the pistol, the more kick it will absorb. I fire 45's from a heavy Ruger western-style revolver, and I hardly feel anything. Also, if you have small hands, avoid fat grips. Semi-automatics are famous for that problem.

Have fun. Tell us how it goes!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Talk to your shooting friends and shoot some of their pistols to see what you like. Firing Ranges around here actually will let you try different pistols on the line if you are thinking of buying one.
I would recommend a revolver for its simplicity but try them all- pick what you like!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Craig Robertson said:
My advice is buy a ukulele.
Well, in your hands that's a beautiful thing - but in mine it'd be a dangerous weapon indeed. :eek: :D

---------------------------------

Good for you Kitty. I especially like your attitude toward learning about safe, proper use.

I have taken several levels of firearm safety and usage courses that delved into issues of situational awareness, conflict avoidance, legal ramifications, psychological/emotional aspects of deadly force, et al. There's a lot more to it than "Yee-Haw" and I believe you will find your first experience very interesting and educational.

Personally, I like firearms as marvels of engineering and craftsmanship as well as for their effectiveness as tools if the unlikely need for defending myself or others should arise.

Many people who learn correctly about firearm use - and in many cases, who come to possess a weapon - are very responsible, polite and respectful people who would go to great lengths to keep from having to discharge a round at another living being. But these are also people who, if left with no other option, are very adept at neutralizing a threat. These are my kinda' people.

All the best!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Other advice, rent or borrow (assuming Boston doesn't have a New York City-type "License to Possess" requirement) before you buy if possible

It does. No rentals allowed here, and a firearms license is required to possess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner