Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guns and shooting advice?

Imahomer

Practically Family
Hey KittyT, what you need is a "group tightener." That what we would always recommend to a new shooter who was sort of there, but had a spread out pattern. Yes, practice is the ultimate answer, but there is an exercise you can do to help steady your arm and aim.

We would recommend a quart of milk, but anything around that weight will do. When your watching tv, or just hanging out, hold it in your shooting hand, while you're in a shooting stance. Hold it for a minute or two. Obviously the aim is to build up your muscles so that when you do go to the range, your much steadier.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
DeaconKC said:
The High Power is a superb handgun. It has a very nicely sized grip for almost everyone. Keep up the practice and be safe!

My dad has had it since the 70s and still has the original purchase receipt! I also shot his Browning Challenger .22 LR.

Imahomer said:
Hey KittyT, what you need is a "group tightener." That what we would always recommend to a new shooter who was sort of there, but had a spread out pattern. Yes, practice is the ultimate answer, but there is an exercise you can do to help steady your arm and aim.

We would recommend a quart of milk, but anything around that weight will do. When your watching tv, or just hanging out, hold it in your shooting hand, while you're in a shooting stance. Hold it for a minute or two. Obviously the aim is to build up your muscles so that when you do go to the range, your much steadier.

Many thanks for the tip!

Imahomer

Practically Family
I've got a Browning high power, however it's a much newer model and not half as cool as one your dad gave you. That makes it extra special.

Lucky!!!:D

Oh and you're very welcome for the shooting tip.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The most screwed up thing happened to me yesterday.... I went to an indoor range up in NH because I felt like getting out of the house and engaging in an activity that would help me focus and take my mind off all of the lousy things that happened to me during 2008. None of my friends who shoot could go with me, as they were either working or nursing New Year's hangovers.

After an hour drive and a half hour wait, they told me I wouldn't be able to shoot and cited time concerns. There were tons of people waiting, but the range was still open for another hour and a half, and others who came in after me were not turned away. I decided not to argue.

An hour later upon returning home, I received a call from my town's police department. The range had called them citing concerns of "personal safety" - because I was a female, going to a gun range by myself, and marked as a beginner on their registration form. W.T.F. The range employee had told the officer that I had never shot a firearm before, yet he never even bothered to ask me. A simple "I see you're a beginner, what's your previous experience?" would have shown them that I wasn't some desperate female there to hurt myself because of post holiday depression.

I totally appreciate their concern with safety, but am also completely miffed at the lame assumptions made about me because of my sex. A young man coming in by himself post-holiday wouldn't have even caused them to blink.

Unfortunately, there are no other ranges nearby that offer rentals, so I can't just take my business elsewhere. I called the range to complain to one of their employees and also have emailed the owner to let him know what happened so that hopefully when I go back, this won't happen again. GRRRR!

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Kitty, Glad you are enjoying the new hobby. As you are finding out, it can be quite addictive. And expensive. I'm going to suggest you stick with the .22 and 9mm, as they tend to be the least expensive calibers to shoot. And, the more you shoot, the better you will get.

Have fun and stay safe.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I believe a number of ranges have certain rules whereby if you're not a member, you have to come with another person, or bring your own gun, because some people *have* committed suicide that way. It being the post-holiday season, they might be a little more on edge.

If that was the policy, though, they should've just told you, not waffled around about it. How frustrating. Definitely write them a letter and give them a call to complain.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
That is complete bovine scattalogy.

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA lol

ShoreRoadLady said:
I believe a number of ranges have certain rules whereby if you're not a member, you have to come with another person, or bring your own gun

This range is not one of them. There are discounts for members, or for guests of members, and members get bumped to the front of the line, but they have no rules that restrict non-members from renting and shooting, even machine guns.

If that was the policy, though, they should've just told you, not waffled around about it. How frustrating. Definitely write them a letter and give them a call to complain.

That wasn't the policy, which is why they BS'd me about why they were refusing my business. They have been called AND written.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
KittyT said:
That wasn't the policy, which is why they BS'd me about why they were refusing my business. They have been called AND written.

Good for you. Wish you had another range to go to! As it is, maybe they'll wise up. It's sad, but it seems as if in today's world a woman who shows any interest in shooting is an anomaly. I would've thought a range would have more sense, though.

Kitty, not sure if this was previously mentioned, but one of the black-marks against the gun-community is that, just like mechanics, there are a lot of salesmen/range-types/etc. who like to jerk women around 'cause they don't think you belong in a "men's activity"--the kind who I'd really like to be there if they crossed paths with Julie Goloski or any of a number of other ladies who regularly outshoot guys... lol

Had to come back just to post this, idiots like you describe never fail to send my blood-pressure to scary levels. (And as far as I'm concerned, the jerk's attitude makes "him" less than a man... and I would gladly tell him so to his face.)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Kitty, not sure if this was previously mentioned, but one of the black-marks against the gun-community is that, just like mechanics, there are a lot of salesmen/range-types/etc. who like to jerk women around 'cause they don't think you belong in a "men's activity"

Thanks, Diamondback. I pretty much gathered that this was the case (same as I have encountered on occasion working in the computer industry). I must say, though, that I was incredibly surprised with the number of women who were there - of course, they were all there with men.

And then there are range-dweebs who are just rectal-orifices in general--I heard of at least one local rangemonster (at Wade's, for the Seattleite shooters) that wouldn't let a guy solo with a rental-iron, citing the same thing.

Also, you might want to check out various tomes by a guy named Massad Ayoob--he trained the instructor who trained me, and has been a valued source of advice through email. Don't let the titles fool you, his Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery and GD Book of Concealed Carry ($25 each, so I suggest asking if a friend or library has 'em, or PM me and I'll see about lending you mine) also have a lot of useful advice for handgun handling in general, and Amazon has a reprint of the Army's pistol training manual for about $4 (give me some time and I'll see if I can find a .PDF somewhere in my collection of old manuals, then post a link).

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Keep it up Kitty

Keep it up Kitty! The boys club needs to be shaken up. There are certainly opportunities outside of the range if you find the right people...back wood shooting was how I got started with pops, went on to desert shooting and have had the privilege of going to a 'cop range'; a public range, but the cops certainly get a different treatment.

l_a39e427c22229b6c2e012bc0b837fcfd.jpg

(Me Black Rock Desert 4th of July Weekend; back in 2002)

MissJeanavive said:
Keep it up Kitty! The boys club needs to be shaken up. There are certainly opportunities outside of the range if you find the right people...back wood shooting was how I got started with pops, went on to desert shooting and have had the privilege of going to a 'cop range'; a public range, but the cops certainly get a different treatment.
True, Miss J--the range I usually use is unofficially referred to as "Summit Substation" by local Sheriff's deputies, and perhaps because of the combination of LEO staff and clientele, people there are a lot more courteous all around than other ranges I've used. Then again, I know some of the lingo and talk shop with 'em, too, so that may be a factor as well.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissJeanavive said:
The boys club needs to be shaken up. There are certainly opportunities outside of the range if you find the right people...

Thanks! Unfortunately, living in Massachusetts, this is extremely difficult because the laws are very, very restrictive.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
shoulda slapped the man for that foolishness...

...just got a new cleaning kit for my 'arms...off to the range as soon as this damned ice age decides to thaw...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
ShoreRoadLady said:
I believe a number of ranges have certain rules whereby if you're not a member, you have to come with another person, or bring your own gun, because some people *have* committed suicide that way. It being the post-holiday season, they might be a little more on edge.

Unfortunately, this is quite right. Just recently a lady snuffed out her own flame at a public range with a rented handgun. Many fellow shooters were witnesses and scarred for life by the event. :(

Sorry you had some trouble with that range, KittyT. Hopefully you will find a place that is more first-time shooter friendly. It's best not to go to a public range. Not only are they known for suicides, but also for people (alone at the range) being killed for their guns. It's always a good idea to take a buddy to the range with you, as well as more than one firearm.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm more and more appreciative of the fact that I live in a place where I can walk out of my back door and shoot whatever gun I want!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy