Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guns and shooting advice?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Sorry you had some trouble with that range, KittyT. Hopefully you will find a place that is more first-time shooter friendly.

I spoke with the owner on the phone and he apologized for their poor delivery. He explained that they had a suicide there only a month and a half ago, and the fellow who dealt with me is a prison guard during the day so he's pretty edgy. The owner was very nice and told me that when I come back, I should ask for him and he will give me my lane rental for free. I plan to go back with a couple of girlfriends on Saturday.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although an unfortunate incident, it sounds as if it has been resolved to some degree of satisfaction. Better safe than sorry is the mantra, I suppose.

Any new firearms lately? Have you had a chance to look over a Beretta 92FS 9mm? That may be something up your alley.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Any new firearms lately? Have you had a chance to look over a Beretta 92FS 9mm? That may be something up your alley.

Not yet, as I haven't had any further opportunities to go shooting. I will be going back to the range this Saturday with some girlfriends, and there is another 2AS practice next Saturday, so I should be able to try out a few new firearms...

warbird

One Too Many
The Beretta 92 is a large frame duty weapon. The grip on that pistol in particular is quite large. Unless you have large hands I would not think it a good match.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
S&W 6906 compact 9mm is a nice firearm...smaller with good capacity...i have one...i have small hands and it fits good...a sig p228 or 229 in 9mm may be a good choice too...i think the S&W runs around $400 used and a little more, like $500 for a used sig...

warbird

One Too Many
SamMarlowPI said:
S&W 6906 compact 9mm is a nice firearm...smaller with good capacity...i have one...i have small hands and it fits good...a sig p228 or 229 in 9mm may be a good choice too...i think the S&W runs around $400 used and a little more, like $500 for a used sig...

The Sig is a well made firearm. The problem with the Sig is the high bore axis ratio. What that means is the barrel sits well above your hand. To be truly proficient with this firearm you have to practice a lot.

A medium framed revolver has many great qualities.

For auto leaders what you want is a pistol with a low bore axis, meaning the pistol will recoil less and it is easier to get back on target. A low bore axis pistol sits low in your hand or your hand rides high on the grip how ever you want to look at it, the barrel is as close to the top of your hand /web of you hand as possible. If you try say an XD or Glock pistol and compare that to a Sig 226 you will understand what I mean.

You want something that fits your hand. A great pistol is the Springfield XD which has interchangeable grips. You don't want a pistol that has a barrel of more than 4". You aren't likely going to be shooting 25 yards and more. Optimally you want to practice for the 5-7 yards range primarily.

This is the advice I give to people just getting into the sport or anyone who has the purpose of learning to protect themselves and having fun plinking on the range, no interest in bullseye competitions and such.

This is also the advice of one of my shooting partners. She is a former FBI agent/firearms instructor who now teaches handgun tactics to law enforcement and military personnel (men and women) all over the world. She is among the best handgun shooters in the world, period, man or woman.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
warbird said:
The Sig is a well made firearm. The problem with the Sig is the high bore axis ratio. What that means is the barrel sits well above your hand. To be truly proficient with this firearm you have to practice a lot

you're very right...i think it's what i call "top heavy"...there is a lot more firearm above the hand and it throws the balance way off once you get down to a couple rounds...the 6906 has more balance (i guess that it the right way to say put it...) however the sig has a very very comfortable grip...

warbird

One Too Many
SamMarlowPI said:
you're very right...i think it's what i call "top heavy"...there is a lot more firearm above the hand and it throws the balance way off once you get down to a couple rounds...the 6906 has more balance (i guess that it the right way to say put it...) however the sig has a very very comfortable grip...

Yes, very comfortable. I have this discussion with people often. I say it is hard to be extremely accurate. They say are you kidding me, the SEAL's use it because of its accuracy. Is say yes they are, and they shoot about a thousand rounds a week too. They are proficient as all get out.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The Ruger SP101 is a great revolver, chambered in several good calibers but the .357 mag would be my choice. Easy to shoot, easy to conceal and Ruger makes a superb revolver. I have several Rugers and wouldn't take anything for them.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
warbird said:
Yes, very comfortable. I have this discussion with people often. I say it is hard to be extremely accurate. They say are you kidding me, the SEAL's use it because of its accuracy. Is say yes they are, and they shoot about a thousand rounds a week too. They are proficient as all get out.

yep, accuracy takes a lot of practice...it seems accuracy with the sig takes much much more...i realized this while shooting my fathers p228...but i'm sold with the comfortable grip...i swear it was made for my hand, but thats just me...i'm more than willing to do the extra practice to become accurate with a 228 or 9...

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Kitty, as you now doubt have realized by now, there are a lot of good firearms out there. Try out as many as you can, see what feels right in your hand and you like shooting. Then you will practice more and become more proficient with it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
DeaconKC said:
Kitty, as you now doubt have realized by now, there are a lot of good firearms out there. Try out as many as you can, see what feels right in your hand and you like shooting. Then you will practice more and become more proficient with it.

Thanks, that's the plan! So far, my favorite has been the Browning Hi-Power! :)

Thanks again, everyone, for all the advice! You've been so helpful and it's so exciting to learn so much new stuff.

Shovelhead

New in Town
Also, check with some of the local gun clubs and ask if they offer the NRA sponsored Women On Target program. It is a one day shooting workshop for women to acquaint them with the sport. My club sponsors one of these in the summer, and I have acted as a instructor in the past.
We have stations set up for rifle, shotgun, and handgun shooting. We have a cook-out and award door prizes also. A fun day out both for participants and workers. Unfortunately, we are a bit far for you to come to our event!
Our club has approximately 900 members, both men and women. So don't be intimidated! It's not a "guys only" thing to shoot.
If you cannot get any local information, contact the National Rifle Association and they should be able to assist you.

Also, if Massachusetts doesn't pitch a fit about Airsoft, you might look into some cheap airsoft guns to practice handling and bbasic trigger-control with around the house--I have a target mounted on a wall across the house from my room and start every morning with a few plastic pellets launched at it, good for practice, stress-relief and helping me focus to face the day. This sounds like a joke, but I'm serious: one of the guys who won one of the big national competitions recently is from Japan, and only handles "live iron" when over here for a match--100% of his practice and training aside from the week or so before the match is Airsoft.

Kitty, glad we can help, and congratulations! You've taken your first steps into a big, sometimes crazy and occasionally annoying but always exciting new world.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Also, if Massachusetts doesn't pitch a fit about Airsoft, you might look into some cheap airsoft guns to practice handling and bbasic trigger-control with around the house

I see Airsoft makes electric, gas and spring loaded models. What's the difference, and what do you recommend?

Spring is cheap, and gas is more realistic for semiautos and pumpguns--actually makes the slide work and causes recoil like the real thing, albeit not as much of it. Pretty much electric's big use is "Rock & Roll" (full-auto spray-and-pray), and it's generally not cheap. All three have their uses, but I use springers for the morning shoot (having to manually work the slides makes me think more about what I'm doing, which helps get the ol' brain goin'), as well as for "inert" gun simulators when I'm working with my students on handling and technique off-range--but if I'm in a situation where I need the extra realism, like "force-on-force" (read: "combat airsoft", kinda like playing paintball), I'd go with gas; IIRC, they can also use CO2.

Be warned, though, some places treat airsoft as "discharging a firearm"--the big advantage with a springer is it can be done inside your home or apartment, where nobody knows about it unless they're a Peeping Tom or in there with you.

----------------
Now playing: Danny Elfman - M.I.B. Main Theme
via FoxyTunes

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Spring is cheap, and gas is more realistic for semiautos and pumpguns--actually makes the slide work and causes recoil like the real thing, albeit not as much of it. Pretty much electric's big use is "Rock & Roll" (full-auto spray-and-pray), and it's generally not cheap. All three have their uses, but I use springers for the morning shoot (having to manually work the slides makes me think more about what I'm doing, which helps get the ol' brain goin'), as well as for "inert" gun simulators when I'm working with my students on handling and technique off-range--but if I'm in a situation where I need the extra realism, like "force-on-force" (read: "combat airsoft", kinda like playing paintball), I'd go with gas; IIRC, they can also use CO2.

Be warned, though, some places treat airsoft as "discharging a firearm"--the big advantage with a springer is it can be done inside your home or apartment, where nobody knows about it unless they're a Peeping Tom or in there with you.

A big +1 on this. Some of my first firearm learning experiences were with spring airsoft handguns. They are becoming more and more important in training nowadays. Pick up any recent copy of "Shotgun News" and you might find an article about airsoft guns as training tools.

Not only are they good for training, but they're fun too! :D

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you find a pistol you like, such as the Hi-Power, but the grip is still not perfect, remember that you can often get things like aftermarket slimmer grip panels to make the gun fit your hand better.

(I run those on my Browning and my 1911's, having comparably short fingers).

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9563

Also, on many models of pistol (again the Hi-Power is one such) you can have a gunsmith install a shorter or longer reach trigger if that will help in maintaining a proper grip and trigger pull.

The new trend among manufacturers is increased fit options out of the box, so what used to entail custom modifications is becoming more of an "off the shelf" situation.

In any event, the more you get into shooting, the more ways you can find to spend your money.

Much like vintage clothing or hats. :D

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
My .02 cents

Kitty-

I have been an avid shooter for over 25 years and have been shooting competitively for most of that time. I have also taken numerous ladies out shooting for their first time.

I wholeheartedly agree the best way to learn and enjoy shooting is to try out numerous pistols until you find one you like and are comfortable with. There are literally thousands of different pistols out there; revolvers, semi-autos, small-frame, large-frame, etc. It is important to find one YOU are comfortable with. If possible, try some out before you buy.

Just my opinions. Let me know what ya think.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80