Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GW AERO AC-21996 is ACME AC-21996

RayR

One of the Regulars
I have an amazing new AERO 21996 replica thanks to Diamond Dave and Good Wear. Dave has an agreement with John Chapman to produce certain jackets using Johns own GW patterns! One of these is of the AERO AC-21996 which they are calling ACME AC-21996. I think that's the only difference. Dave uses only GW approved materials.
I was intrigued by the look of the "Combat Crew" distressed leather so when I saw this go on sale on eBay, I ordered. That was Dec. 14th. This incredible jacket arrived today

ACME4.jpg

ACME5.jpg

This is like skipping the 2 year Good Wear waiting list and saving money for doing it. The detail and construction is second-to-none. And the leather is the best I've ever had...right out of the box full of beautiful grain and character while buttery soft and flexible.

ACME6.jpg

Smooth Talon zipper and solid, thick weave cuffs, too.

Dave took all the same measurements you send for a GW order and he picked the fit for me...and nailed it.

ACME2.jpg

And the ACME label:

ACME7.jpg

pawineguy

One Too Many
Congratulation on a stunning jacket and kudos to John for finding new ways to get jackets into the hands of enthusiasts. The fit and the leather couldn't be better, imho.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I've perhaps told you this before somewhere amongst the gozillions of threads on this great website, Archbury, but I LOVE your Avatar. (Recognize it from "Twelve O'Clock High.")

RayR

One of the Regulars
Fantastic! Perfect fit and look... Is that the cowhide?

Brettafett, I deliberately neglected to mention that because of the confusion and potential prejudice in the HH vs Steer debate =), but yes, it is Steer Hide! I think I only would have know by reading the description on the sales page.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Brettafett, I deliberately neglected to mention that because of the confusion and potential prejudice in the HH vs Steer debate =), but yes, it is Steer Hide! I think I only would have know by reading the description on the sales page.

Not to open a debate, but it's been pretty well documented in other threads how difficult it is for most of us to tell the difference once it's made into a jacket. Steer never seems to get the respect that it deserves. Bottom line is it's a beautiful jacket at a good price and compared to what we are used to, no real wait.

devilish

A-List Customer
I thought that with the work that Gary Eastman did on the subject for his book the debate has been put to bed at this point. Steer/Cow is and always has been great leather and we now know it was used in several WWII contracts. When makers such as JC and others choose a leather it is pretty much guaranteed to be the best they can find. Quality will not be an issue.
I recently bought a very early GW Dubow made in a heavy but very supple and grainy cowhide. It feels great and drapes in a manner very like many seen in period pictures from the war.

Tsongkhapa

New in Town
Agreed, that is an outstanding A-2 in the steer, and you really wear it well, Sir. I almost bit the bullet and bought one last month while the sale was on. I very much wish I had done so now.

RayR

One of the Regulars
Agreed, that is an outstanding A-2 in the steer, and you really wear it well, Sir. I almost bit the bullet and bought one last month while the sale was on. I very much wish I had done so now.

Thanks for the kind words. I believe he still has a substantial discount posted on eBay right now, FYI.

Tsongkhapa

New in Town
If he still has the discount on eBay, that is the most dangerous information to know at the moment! I'm currently on JC's wait list, but I might break down and get this particular jacket from DD, then plan to get the Monarch or Dubow from JC.

I just couldn't be more impressed with the quality and fit of your steer A-2. And the customary Aero red knits really are sharp. It is good to see an example of Diamond Dave's handiwork.

Tsongkhapa

New in Town
RayR, I finally bit the bullet and purchased one of Diamond Dave's steer ACME AC-21996's a few minutes ago, which I found on Ebay. The price was right, and I just couldn't resist. Besides, I chalked it up as a birthday treat to myself.

I was greatly inspired by the photos you posted, as the grain really pops out and that rich color is stunning. I have you to credit for my new purchase, Sir. I'm usually more of a horsehide, or even goat aficionado, but now I'm completely sold on steer. Thank you for that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24