Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Jeeze, I knew Ducktail was popular, but not THAT popular. Does he set up appointments or is it first come first served?

What's his pomade brand labeled under? I remember seeing it in a video, but I can't recall the name or the video.

He is the only one who cuts gents hair in there, and it is first come first served. He is only just now training someone else to cut hair. He takes twice as long as an ordinary barber, which makes the process even more long-suffering. If you show up on a Saturday right before he opens, expect to be anywhere between number 7 to number 10 in the queue. Yeah, your whole weekend down the toilet for a short back and sides.

All the guys I knew left to find somewhere cheaper and faster. Most of us now go to an old teddyboy in his 70's who does it for £8.80 and you are in and out in 30 minutes. I used to pay £20 for a cut at ducktail, but he has now raised his prices to £25. Now his customers are pretty much just trendy guys that are jumping on the rockabilly bandwagon. They will change their hairstyle in 6 months.

Mr. Ducktails pomade is by Hairgum. It will probably run you about $10-15 for a can that you would be lucky to have last you 2 weeks. It is literally the best pomade I've ever used though.

P.S. - If you are looking for rare American pomades, this German guy seems to find them all. Just don't order from him as you will pay through the nose for something you can get in the states:

Pomade Shop!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
This is the look all the Boys & Girls are sporting here in Australia This Summer, slightly disconnected longer layers towards the hairline, , not quite a Toni & Guy undercut!, heavily texturised, but yes a bit 1980's, New Romantic, or you can slick it back with some Muk.

http://www.mukme.com/mukshop/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=MK001010

5299969084_7d6b029d20.jpg

I always used Matrix Dirty Trix, but that has been discontinued, due to it not selling in the USA, so hopefully MUK will be around for while

Last edited:

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i wore a baldy for a long time, but recently went to a high/tight. typically 1 on the sides and 4 on top.

then shaped into a flat top with Grant's Golden Pomade or Hold Fast (which is now defunct. :( ).

4569216483_31fee2f1eb.jpg

Jan

One of the Regulars
He is the only one who cuts gents hair in there, and it is first come first served. He is only just now training someone else to cut hair. He takes twice as long as an ordinary barber, which makes the process even more long-suffering. If you show up on a Saturday right before he opens, expect to be anywhere between number 7 to number 10 in the queue. Yeah, your whole weekend down the toilet for a short back and sides.

All the guys I knew left to find somewhere cheaper and faster. Most of us now go to an old teddyboy in his 70's who does it for £8.80 and you are in and out in 30 minutes. I used to pay £20 for a cut at ducktail, but he has now raised his prices to £25. Now his customers are pretty much just trendy guys that are jumping on the rockabilly bandwagon. They will change their hairstyle in 6 months.

Mr. Ducktails pomade is by Hairgum. It will probably run you about $10-15 for a can that you would be lucky to have last you 2 weeks. It is literally the best pomade I've ever used though.

P.S. - If you are looking for rare American pomades, this German guy seems to find them all. Just don't order from him as you will pay through the nose for something you can get in the states:

Pomade Shop!

My sister actually just stopped in to Something Hell's today. She bought me a few tins of his pomade, so I'm pretty stoked for that. I never knew that he was the only barber in there. I thought he had a female stylist in there? Guess I was wrong.

I still plan on getting a haircut from him, if I ever travel over there. I personally don't mind the talking. But as you said, if you need to be somewhere, it just wastes your time.

I've checked Pomade Shop, but they don't have the pomades I'm looking for. They're either not made anymore, or I really have to go dig through some ghetto areas and find the ones that don't have anything modern.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Ive never liked hair on the face on a man. Men, not necessarily boys, should have it back off the face in whatever style of their choosing, imho.

I'm not interested in the layered or bangs in front look myself. For some reason, the past year or so I have felt the need to have a part of some sort, especially a left side part. I think parted or slicked back hairstyles project a certain sophisticated, business-like air about them. An un-parted, non-slicked hairstyle that I do still happen to like is something like this, though:

james-bond_best-movie-spies.jpg

With hair like this, something resembling a crew or buzz-cut, he still looks like he means business. I know he's James Bond, but still... My point still stands that if I do not slick and part my hair in any way, I would go for this look.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, after fifty days of trying to grow a beard, I just shaved. Some of you may have seen pictures of that attempt on the hat threads I posted on. My family happens to be more pleased with it too, saying that being clean-shaven gives me a younger, more intelligent appearance. That aside, what kind of hairstyle am I sporting right now, would it be considered an executive contour, or a pompadour?

Photoon2011-01-13at14143.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-01-13at1411.jpg

I sometimes try to model my hairstyle based loosely off of Sean Connery's in the first two or three James Bond films.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
For the longest time I would shampoo my hair everyday, and wonder why my hair was so dry. I do not like putting gels and stuff in my hair and scalp, I believe it's unnatural and not good for the scalp pores. But I do like my hair to have the richness a very light gel provides, and not for the hair and scalp to be dry. So, several years ago I stopped using shampoo everyday, in fact I use it about once every couple of weeks, and I'll tell you why.

The human body naturally provides oils through the scalp for your hair. Yes, I wash my hair everyday using a washcloth, gently rubbing/cleaning the scalp back and forth 10-20 times, wringing out the washcloth and using a new one every few days. What this has accomplished is my hair retains some of the natural oils the scalp produces, I don't use any shampoo or gels, so the shampoo doesn't extract all the natural oils, which most people then feel compelled to replace with gels.

The only issue I have is in the dead of winter, when it's super dry cold air, I get a little dry scalp, but nothing I can't handle, or treat, and nothing I didn't already have to deal with when I was using shampoos. I have slow, relatively fine thinning hair, and I am totally confident what I do now is better for me than the old process. I must say, backing off on all the shampooing and gooing gave me exactly the golden era look without trying to find it through hair products. I don't normally post pictures of myself in a public forum, but since some of you might question my process/result, I will try and scrounge up a picture to show you the result of my process. I am happy with the result.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
For the longest time I would shampoo my hair everyday, and wonder why my hair was so dry. I do not like putting gels and stuff in my hair and scalp, I believe it's unnatural and not good for the scalp pores. But I do like my hair to have the richness a very light gel provides, and not for the hair and scalp to be dry. So, several years ago I stopped using shampoo everyday, in fact I use it about once every couple of weeks, and I'll tell you why.

The human body naturally provides oils through the scalp for your hair. Yes, I wash my hair everyday using a washcloth, gently rubbing/cleaning the scalp back and forth 10-20 times, wringing out the washcloth and using a new one every few days. What this has accomplished is my hair retains some of the natural oils the scalp produces, I don't use any shampoo or gels, so the shampoo doesn't extract all the natural oils, which most people then feel compelled to replace with gels.

The only issue I have is in the dead of winter, when it's super dry cold air, I get a little dry scalp, but nothing I can't handle, or treat, and nothing I didn't already have to deal with when I was using shampoos. I have slow, relatively fine thinning hair, and I am totally confident what I do now is better for me than the old process. I must say, backing off on all the shampooing and gooing gave me exactly the golden era look without trying to find it through hair products. I don't normally post pictures of myself in a public forum, but since some of you might question my process/result, I will try and scrounge up a picture to show you the result of my process. I am happy with the result.

This is all somewhat interesting (if not a little gross); however, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with "Hair cuts," which is the topic of this thread. ;)

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I've really enjoyed this thread, very helpful. I've been cutting my own hair for 25 years now, sometimes with mixed results!!!!
I suppose my cut is still the style I had in high school, long on top and short on the sides. Back then it bordered on a mohawk though, then I saw the movie The Memphis Belle and really liked the haircuts. Long on top and really short just above the ear and on the neck. There are a few spot that are really tricky to do myself, I let my wife have a try just once!! I still do most of it, I've let my teen daughter have a go at it recently, not to bad. And when I really need help I run to an Old time Barber shop in town for a fix. There are a few left in town but I fear when they pass away, all will be lost. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Had the same hairstyle for about forty years. The only thing that varies is length; a little shorter and closer to the head in warm weather,
whome.jpg

Cliff

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Ok..here are the pics I promised. Combed back with a little shellac.
img2505x.jpg

img2509o.jpg

By the end of the workday she starts to fall, Cab Calloway style.
img2511th.jpg

And these will help explain the cut, very long on top and short on the sides. Before the water and Shellac.
Also explains why I wear a hat most of the time!
img2504x.jpg

img2503o.jpg

coble

A-List Customer
i've been working on this for a while now, finally got it to slick back the way i wanted it, i cut my own hair, so i taper the sides, and near my neck i usually use a zero up to a 4 along the sides.
167054_10150132388225350_503590349_8514163_7018144_n.jpg

166379_10150132388425350_503590349_8514170_3064537_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner