Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair question

Dick Tracy said:
And regarding applying makeup in cars, God only knows how many traffic crashes I handled because of it.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here, but I fear that more and more states will adopt outright bans on cell phone use while driving because too many people let their phones distract them from their driving. Scarcely a day goes by that I don't see some speeding, tailgating, lane-changing-without-signaling clown yakking away on his or her cell phone.

perterra

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Well, to my mind, it looks sloppy, if not downright :icon_smil.

I dont think in the past mens hair has been long enough for it to matter.

Vanity is a tough thing (no offense meant) but vanity is a personal issue. You see a lot of people who wish to dress retro but rarely do you see the haircuts that were so common then. If you dont want your hair messed up, dont wear a hat. It doesnt affect who you are, your still the same person regardless of your hair. People arent going to think your any weirder with mussed hair than they would if you were dressed like Indiana Jones, Al Capone or wearin a zoot suit. Most people dont understand retro dress anyway.

Same thing I think about motorcycle helmet hair, I'm riding a bike, my hair deserves to be flat.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Dick Tracy said:
Keep your hair short and if possible avoid low crown hats.
I think that most of the gents here seem to agree about the low crowns. We like them TALL here!

perterra wrote; "You see a lot of people who wish to dress retro but rarely do you see the haircuts that were so common then."

There are a number of threads all about getting that period perfect hair here. You can go quite long on top and still be accurate. You just have to be careful lest you end up with Shemp head (not that there is anything wrong with that. Always liked Shemp myself...;) )

Marc Chevalier wrote; "What I don't like is smoothing it back with my hand and then having a palm coated with Brylcreem, especially before eating or taking my wife's hand to dance".

Marc,I'm sure your wife appreciates that!;)

perterra

New in Town
Sefton said:
!

perterra wrote; "You see a lot of people who wish to dress retro but rarely do you see the haircuts that were so common then."

There are a number of threads all about getting that period perfect hair here. You can go quite long on top and still be accurate. You just have to be careful lest you end up with Shemp head (not that there is anything wrong with that. Always liked Shemp myself...;) )

I agree, but you dont see long hair on the sides, everyone had sidewalls in the old days.:p

havershaw

Practically Family
Yeah, I don't tend to have too many hat hair problems when the hair is at a proper length. But then, my wife is a hairdresser and specializes in vintage hairstyles...although mostly for women. Since we've gotten together, she's mastered a couple different types of cuts. I just got a less drastic version of Bogart's haircut in 'High Sierra' - she just did it, and I didn't even know what she was going for, until she showed me. what a gal.

getting back to hats, and the hair created by them...
I bought a couple of bottles of vintage NOS hair oil on eBay about three years ago, and I only just finished the first about a month ago, so I think I'll be OK for the next three years. Anyway, I try to keep the hair pretty short, but when you're going for Jeff Bridges in Tucker, it can be a lot tougher to avoid the hat hair. The hair oil helps. My wife said she thinks she knows what the modern equivalent is, and I'll try to remember what she said. Hair oil, however, can be hell on sweatbands, and, eventually, ribbons and felt. My main Borsalino (until recently) is very spotted in the front, where the crown meets the brim, and it was NOS!

Hondo

One Too Many
What hair?

Wildroot should answer this lol
But seriously I don't have much hair these days so wear a hat and enjoy it:p
But in my younger days my dad forced me to get a hair cut so I used to comb it back like Elvis, a littler wet (water) or butch wax so the wind wouldn't blow it. I had so much hair when I see a miror I :eek: Freak Out!!!

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I use a mixture of Brylcreem and

168542.jpg

Brycreem alone can cut it for me but if I have to look really dapper, I'll slap on the greasy stuff. lol

I have a classic haircut with a side part, tapered sides, and a pomp at the front. It nearly impossible to keep the pomp intact without Tres Flores

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I've never liked oily hair treatments of any kind (pomade, Brylcream, etc.), and I'm delighted to do my hair in the AM and add a bit of gel. When i remove my hat, I step to the side and give it two or three quick strokes with a comb. If there is a restroom handy, I usually have more than one reason to visit, so that's a nice place to comb it.

I wear my hair fairly short, so hat hair is not a big deal except when I'm due for a cut.

I'd MUCH rather comb my hair than live with oily hair treatments of any kind.:eek:

Knifedaddy

New in Town
havershaw said:
Yeah, I don't tend to have too many hat hair problems when the hair is at a proper length. But then, my wife is a hairdresser and specializes in vintage hairstyles...
Good thread. What are some examples of vintage hairstyles? In old movies no doubt they don't have hat hair because their hair was probably touched up between takes.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
What I don't like is smoothing it back with my hand and then having a palm coated with Brylcreem, especially before eating or taking my wife's hand to dance.

Maybe you're using too much brylcreem. Mix a pomade like Murrays with something for shine and use only enough. Think High Modernism, less is more. Then too, you could take your hat off in advance of eating and or dancing and at some point give your hand a discreet wipe with the handkerchief no gentleman is ever without. but that's just if you insist on over-lubing.

In The Two Jakes, when Jack Nicholson enters The Green Parrot he does something I saw my dad do thousands of times. He handed over his hat to the hat check (okay, my dad never wore a hat, but his hair was subject to weather conditions, like any cricket match or comapny picnic), and then he gave his hair a lightning fast comb before he was through the curtain into the bar area. If you know your head and your hair well, all you have to work on is the speed. Three strokes in a doorway and you're good to go.

Anyway, I have other hair problems. :eusa_doh:

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:
When I used Vitalis, the most common comment I got was, your hair looks greasy and dry...

Not good.

I have to agree about the Vitalis. It left my hair very dry.

I've used Top Brass for awhile. It's not too grasy and gets the job done.

physlabs_1906_307640990

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
As a long time former hair gel user (10+ years), I can confirm that almost all hair products that contain alcohol will dry your hair. Ever since I stopped using it, my hair has been healthier. Brylcreem is the way to go. It smells great and, when used in moderation, makes your hair look great.

221B, ever notice how hard it is to get the Tres Flores out of your hair? Try using it with any hair groom product (e.g., Top Brass, Brylcreem, Hair and Groom) and it'll come off a lot easier.

221b

Familiar Face
Tres Flores vs hair gel

Your right Tommy, it is hard to get out. I use it with something called Jockey Club hair cream. It has the consistancy of watered down lotion. The other day I decided to use gel instead of my normal mixture. It made my hair so dry and it dryed out my scalp, it was very unpleasant. I also used gel for years before I switched to Tres Flores last year. I'll probably never go back to gel.
The Tres Flores also allows me to finger my hair back after I take off my hat. It not too greasy if you use a moderate amount.

czack

One of the Regulars
More Hats, Less Hat Hair

Started thinning, decided to meet Mother Nature halfway, wear any hat I want with no worries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24