Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween costumes!

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
karlie said:
halloween1.jpg

This is from halloween 2007. I made all the costumes. We were candy stripers.

halloween2.jpg

This is from last year. Also made both costumes. Well, I didn't make my boyfriends pants... He was a ring master, and I was clearly the bearded lady.

I'm at a complete loss for what to be this year... and I need to get started soon! Any suggestions are more than welcome!
I love the candy striper costumes, that's a great group costume idea, but my favourite is the bearded lady costume! I am planning a full on circus/sideshow themed party, my room mate and I are going to be conjoined twins

karlie

New in Town
get_atomized said:
I love the candy striper costumes, that's a great group costume idea, but my favourite is the bearded lady costume! I am planning a full on circus/sideshow themed party, my room mate and I are going to be conjoined twins

That is a great idea! I was trying to convince my Boyfriend to have a circus themed party as well! We both need to make use of those costumes again!
Also, Conjoined twins? That's one heck of a commitment! ;)

cupcake

Familiar Face
My birthday falls just before halloween so I'll be having a joint party this year.
My boyfriend and I are going as Groucho and Lydia (the tattooed lady)

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Here was my inspiration for my last years halloween costume:
VKE002.jpg

and
VKE001.jpg

And here was the finished product!
bwpirate.jpg

This year I am going as a a gypsy! So I am palanning on buying nothing for this costume, all I need is gathered skirt(check), hip scarf(check), peasant blouse(check), coin jewlery(check), sandals(check), and a scarf for my head(check!). Can we say cheap costume!

Samantha

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
This year I'm going to be either a character from Batman, or a character from a video game called Kingdom Hearts. My friends want us to go as a 'group' from the same thing, so there's a bunch of us trying to decide on one costume idea.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
karlie said:
That is a great idea! I was trying to convince my Boyfriend to have a circus themed party as well! We both need to make use of those costumes again!
Also, Conjoined twins? That's one heck of a commitment! ;)
We're very close ;)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Parfait said:
That is so funny, my Husband and I watched this movie the other day and when her character appeared on screen, my Husband looked over at me and said "You love her look don't you?" right when I said "I love". Hah! lol
I love that costume so much! I actually whipped it up for a recent event that I attended. It needs a few more tweaks but it's mostly done. Here's one photo of me and my friend as Batgirl.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zarathud/3904633742/

I was considering wearing it for Halloween, but I usually march in the Greenwich Village Halloween parade and I don't know if it's suitable for walking around NYC all night.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I'm thinking of dressing up as Abraham Lincoln and my husband wants to be George Washington. Any suggestions for how to make a Washington wig? Should I just bite the bullet and buy one? What about Lincoln's beard? Has anyone here ever made a beard? I'm hoping to keep spending to a minimum and I have a lot of time on my hands so anything I can make for cheaper will help.

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
Hi Audrey Horne-

I'm thinking of dressing up as Abraham Lincoln and my husband wants to be George Washington. Any suggestions for how to make a Washington wig? Should I just bite the bullet and buy one? What about Lincoln's beard? Has anyone here ever made a beard? I'm hoping to keep spending to a minimum and I have a lot of time on my hands so anything I can make for cheaper will help.

I think you'd be best off buying or renting a George Washington wig, since making one would be a pain. Since you're in Orange, if you don't mind a drive up to L.A., Western Costume in North Hollywood would have the most authentic George Washington wig, but I've seen them in wig stores in Hollywood, as well as cheaper ones in costume stores. As for a Lincoln beard, that could also be found at costume rental places, but Cinema Secrets in Studio City and Ozzie Dots in Los Feliz/Hollywood also might have them. Hollywood Toy and Costumes would also have both the wig and beard. For the Lincoln beard, you could use fake fur to make it, and maybe attach it with a little spirit gum or even toupée tape like TopStick. Hope this helps.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Thanks so much DecoDahlia! I don't know why but I hadn't even thought to look in LA. That's probably much better than ordering online since I can see them in person. Thanks again for the help :)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I still have no idea, but I can't be bothered go out and spend a fortune on a costume and I really want to do something with suspenders/braces for some reason.

So it is either my version of the equestrian look - Got the boots, gloves and riding pants, just need a whip and bow tie for this.

kylie.jpg

Or the clockwork orange look.. need a bowler hat and a cane for that look. Swedish Therese (the singer) does this look brilliantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZDxah0avYw

Edited to add video

SayCici

Practically Family
Audrey Horne said:
When I was in elementary school, me and a few other selected students were chosen to make little videos on why we were the ones who found America first (Vikings, Native Americans, Conquistadors, etc.) and one of the boy's dads created an awesome beard using yarn that tied around the ears. Or you could just draw it on.

karlie

New in Town
Audrey Horne said:

I bought the stuff for my beard at a dance/theater store. The hair, glue, and remover came to about 12 bucks, and I have a ton left! I'm sure you could buy smaller amounts than i bought of the hair, so It could be even cheaper. I think it would be worth a shot to look!
-or use old doll hair?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
No activity here for a while; I hope we'll get to see some costume photos in a couple weeks.
Meanwhile, the hub and I have been asked to participate with the Arts Council's float in the upcoming "Ghouls Gone Wild" parade, instigated by the Flaming Lips. It's always a great time, though I prefer to watch than take part, but we did agree.
The theme, not surprisingly, is 'works of art'. I said no to "American Gothic" right away (who wants to spend a night of parades and parties looking like a wizened old granny?!). I reckon the Mr. will just put together a wacky concoction at the last minute and call himself inspired by outsider art; me, I'm thinking of taking my cue from a Weegee photo.
After browsing archives and my own books, I'm leaning toward this one:
wg3-58.jpg

It'd be great if I had someone to be the other girl (no, I don't think my fella is game for that), but I'm going to see if I can put together the look of the girl on the left; I have saddle shoes. How hard can it be to pose jauntily on a bar stool throughout the route? ;)

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Halloween is by far, My favorite holiday. Just something about dressing up, and being someone/something else for the night.

Unforently, I haven't dressed up since I was 14(And for some reason, Years beyond that, I had a tendacy to be with either a Vampire or a Witch.).

This year, I'm participating in a Haunted house "Insane Asylum", and I get to be a Vintage "ghost" nurse(Blood splattered all over my costume), and hang around a table with a screaming patient, and a doctor, who has gone a bit insane, and trying to "fix" her by surgery means. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo