Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand gun ownership in the U.S.

How many HAND guns do you own?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to 5.

• 6 to 10.

• 11 to 25.

• 26 to 50, or more.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
With all the talk of guns here recently at the lounge in various threads, and my own recent acquisition, I am curious as to how many of us exercise our constitutional right to own hand guns. Of course, you needn't reveal your identity, or be specific as to what type of hand gun you own if you prefer not to say. This is just a poll to satisfy my curiosity. What percentage of the population owns at least one? I own two. A vintage 32 Colt auto that belonged to my grandfather, and my Walther P1. Hopefully more guns than I will ever need, so I don't think I will be purchasing another any time soon.

1. 0. None whatsoever, I hate guns! OR: Not just yet, but someday.
2. 1 to 5 hand guns. Purely collectible and/or for self defense.
3. 6 to 10 hand guns. I am a serious collector and shooter.
4. 11 to 25 hand guns. I love guns! (Obviously.)
5. 26 to 50 or more hand guns. I am an avid collector/gunsmith/dealer.

Currently none, but I'm getting into not just collecting but building from scratch and even redesign/re-engineering work! And you can have mine when you pry 'em from my cold dead fingers--with your own cold dead fingers...

Mostly I plan to specialize in the Government Model/1911-type .45, and my own derivatives of it...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Currently none, but I'm getting into not just collecting but building from scratch and even redesign/re-engineering work! And you can have mine when you pry 'em from my cold dead fingers--with your own cold dead fingers...

Mostly I plan to specialize in the Government Model/1911-type .45, and my own derivatives of it...
Hmmm,...no category for you to fall under exactly. I hadn't thought of that.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I hope I voted correctly, lol... we have many guns but not all of them hand guns. We have rifles and such as well.

I enjoy revolvers myself.
Nikki

Back in the early '90s I started researching and collecting shotguns,rifles,and handguns. Like collecting anything..I went through many types and calibers before arriving at where I wanted to be. Something like collecting fine fedoras,perhaps?? Shooting at our local range I found my prefered caliber and frame favorites. Funny...I seemed to pick some of the old standards... 20 guage shotgun(also love the 28 guage)...30-06 rifle(also liked the 300 mag....270...30-30...223).......45 acp handgun(also .357 mag...45 LC). Over the years I managed through trading and dealing to come up with an all engraved collection. My favorites being a Factory engraved Colt Python stainless 4".357....Custom engraved Para-ordnance P13 stainless .45...along with S&W .44mag 2 1/2"..matching S&W .357 2 1/2 "...matching S&W .38 2"...and more. I've had them all fined tuned and enjoyed shooting them all. Finally..I reached the point were my collection was complete. Now..that ain't so easy to firmly decide concerning most collecting...but I run outa places for safes. Really,whether I ever shoot one again..they are works of art to me..even if only just to look at.
HD

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I don't have so much trouble with guns as I do all the overinflated rhetoric about them - on both sides, but especially the side with industry funding.

To listen to some folks, the right to bear arms is the first, last, and only good thing that ever happened in this country. I think we've got much better things to concentrate on. Yes, any society is going to have violence, but too much of ours is based on violence.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
HoosierDaddy said:
Really,whether I ever shoot one again..they are works of art to me..even if only just to look at.
HD
Yes I know what you mean. I like the vintage looking guns best. If I come across something old and unusual for a good price, I will probably buy it.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Yes I know what you mean. I like the vintage looking guns best. If I come across something old and unusual for a good price, I will probably buy it.

Agreed! My husband recently bought a new Beretta. He kept asking me which guns I liked and I couldn't stand all the black plastic "toy" looking guns.
Nikki

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
ohairas said:
Agreed! My husband recently bought a new Beretta. He kept asking me which guns I liked and I couldn't stand all the black plastic "toy" looking guns.
Nikki
Yep, it seems a lot of manufacturers have cheapened their products with the addition of polymers and such, and with designs that are made to appeal to the consumer. :rolleyes: Practicality and reliability are the most important features, so I think military surplus and vintage all steel is the way to go.

S

Samsa

I have fond memories of shooting various rifles (.25, .30-06, and Black Powder rifles) when I was in scouts. I never did have the chance to try a pistol, and can't say that it really appeals to me either. I would own a rifle, but still live with the old folks (who wouldn't approve) and there's no shooting range around here that would allow rifles anyway. Maybe if I find myself living in the country in the future...

OK, personal favorites/would-consider-buying list:
1. 1911. Any single-action version, including the doublestacks if only I could make my hand fit around one...
2. COP .357 4-shot pepperbox. Easily concealed and delivers a whole lotta hurt at point-blank range... if only it came in a .45ACP version...
3. Thompson 1927A-5--Semiauto Tommy gun as pistol, anyone?:eek:
4. Glock. Don't like 'em, but they do have their uses in emergencies, like needing to quickly arm a backup shooter...
5 and 6. Desert Eagle and original .44 AutoMag--just for the "cool factor", and they were at different times the weapons of choice of a favorite pulp-fiction character... (Two points to anyone who can guess who!:D)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Zig2k143 said:
I'm more of a Sword, Knife person....

LOL... we got that too, among other things... spears, throwing axes, ect.
I hope that if anyone does dare break in they'll see some of those hanging on the wall and think WE'RE wack and get the hell out!

Nikki

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
5 and 6. Desert Eagle and original .44 AutoMag--just for the "cool factor", and they were at different times the weapons of choice of a favorite pulp-fiction character... (Two points to anyone who can guess who!:D)

Mack Bolan, aka The Executioner, spiritual daddy of The Punisher?

-Viola

Fletch said:
I don't have so much trouble with guns as I do all the overinflated rhetoric about them - on both sides, but especially the side with industry funding.

To listen to some folks, the right to bear arms is the first, last, and only good thing that ever happened in this country. I think we've got much better things to concentrate on. Yes, any society is going to have violence, but too much of ours is based on violence.

Fletch
There's violence...then there's sport..fun...and personal protection. I've seen violence during time of war and also on city streets. I've had a great time hunting...mainly birds...quail,etc..taking them home and eating the delicacy. Ran a skeet range in the military..and had a great fun shooting clay pigeons. Gained knowledge and experience with weapons in the army and on the local target range. After several somewhat unusual (for many)instances of life threatening helpless situations..it became clear that there can be times for needed personal protection to avoid the intentions of those who have no value for life...even yours or your loved ones. A violent weapon in the hand of the bad guy seems the main problem..whether a gun..a knife..or even a bat. Trouble is..the cops usually arrive...after the fact. Though it seems that gun restrictions are voiced at the bad guy..they really only effect the average law abiding citizen..many criminals could care less about gun laws. I know...old argument...but for some of us..does ring true. Violence with often overwhelming odds has always been a part of society. Whether a few bad guys or a gang. Facing that alone...hoping for mercy for yourself or loved ones..can bring home the point quite clearly. There are those who do live violently....and never consider any compassion or a fair fight.

HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy