Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand gun ownership in the U.S.

How many HAND guns do you own?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to 5.

• 6 to 10.

• 11 to 25.

• 26 to 50, or more.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Okay, what guns did the character Rick in "The Mummy" have? (I want one)

The revolvers were French and period correct, I'd have to look up the make and model.

I've got more handguns than fingers but fewer total guns than digits.

Fletch,

You'll find very little of the modern Constitutional scholarship on the Second Amendment or peer-reviewed (that's key) sociological studies on gun ownership, crime and violence are funded in any way, shape or form by the firearms industry.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Swoon... I bet they're gorgeous!! Lucky dog HD!
Nikki

When I first started collecting....I bought a couple of lightly engraved small pin fire chromed revolvers with curved butterscotch ivory grips. $75 a piece 15 yrs ago. I put them in a shadowbox lined in antiqued leather along with several original Marshall..Sheriff..and Texas Ranger badges. Every time I look at that display I remember how lucky I was to come across those offerings.

Viola said:
Aaaagh! Miniatures! YOU GEEK! :D

...scale railroad stuff is totally cool though, I don't care what anyone says. If only I had a HUGE BUCKET OF MONEY for that stuff, I'd be set. [huh]

Quigley's rifle in Quigley Down Under was pretty awesome (and vintage, though a little more than the Lounge requires) and I'm not just saying that because I love Tom Selleck.

That's right, ladies and germs, Geeks With Guns! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

OT: Any particular railroad? I've been collecting models of New York Central streamliners since junior year in [voice=Rush]"haagh screwel"[/voice]

Personally, I'd rather have the Earps' and Doc's tools from Tombstone, but that's probably because of the streaks of both Wyatt and Doc in my own personality...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
You'll find very little of the modern Constitutional scholarship on the Second Amendment or peer-reviewed (that's key) sociological studies on gun ownership, crime and violence are funded in any way, shape or form by the firearms industry.
Right, I swear my last name is not Remington. I was just curious as to roughly what percentage of us actually own them.
(My poll should have had more options though, I fear. :rolleyes: )

Rooster

Practically Family
I'm a gun collector. I have a smallish collection of hand guns, many given to me by my maternal grandfather who used to shoot competitivly at Camp Perry. I have is competition long guns also.
I have an odd little quirk for Russian/Soviet M95 nagant pistols in original finish (not the current batch of rearsenaled guns). They date from a single action only 1900 dated gun to 1944. I collect the original leather holsters for them too (not those crappy pebble grained leatherette jobs).
I've recently got the gotta haves for a couple vintage wheel guns, probably S&W snubby in 38 special. Gonna have to scratch that itch this summer. Oh, I have an insane desire for a victory model colt and a Webly wheel gun too. I'm going to have to get busy and sell some junk to create a cash flow......lol

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Of Course I Own Guns

I have a .357 Magnum and a .22 LR. That's all I need at the present time. I would like to buy a shotgun and a larger caliber rifle, but I keep buying those darn hats.:D

JazzBaby

Practically Family
This thread is so bizarre to me. I find it really unusal to hear people talk so casually about owning guns. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. But then I live in a country where even the police aren't allowed to carry a weapon.

I know this post doesn't contribute much to the topic, but I just wanted to point out how strange a concept gun ownership is to non-Americans.

carebear

Sen. Jack,

Think of it this way. Before the gun, the weak, more poorly equipped and/or the few were always at the mercy of the stronger, better armed (with hand-to-hand weapons) and/or the many. Think armored knights and peasants or farmers versus bandits, heck think you alone versus 3 street toughs.

The gun is the great equalizer. It allows people a chance to defend themselves on an equal level with any aggressor. Without it, we go back to the days where the stronger and tougher rule.

Any armed person, no matter how strong, handicapped, small or aged becomes the physical equal of any other. That's equality right there.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
This thread is so bizarre to me. I find it really unusal to hear people talk so casually about owning guns. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. But then I live in a country where even the police aren't allowed to carry a weapon.

I know this post doesn't contribute much to the topic, but I just wanted to point out how strange a concept gun ownership is to non-Americans.
Good point, and I was wondering when someone would bring it up. Guns have been a part of our culture since the beginning. If nothing else, the fact that most of us seem to own at least one keeps foreign armies from invading.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Good point, and I was wondering when someone would bring it up. Guns have been a part of our culture since the beginning. If nothing else, the fact that most of us seem to own at least one keeps foreign armies from invading.

I wasn't saying I disagree with gun ownership. But I'm glad it doesn't happen here :)

Think of it this way. Before the gun, the weak, more poorly equipped and/or the few were always at the mercy of the stronger, better armed (with hand-to-hand weapons) and/or the many. Think armored knights and peasants or farmers versus bandits, heck think you alone versus 3 street toughs.

I find this logic just a wee bit circular. What happens if the three toughs have guns, too?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
I find this logic just a wee bit circular. What happens if the three toughs have guns, too?

Well, if nobody has guns, I lose automatically. If we all have guns, I have a chance.

-Viola

JazzBaby said:
I wasn't saying I disagree with gun ownership. But I'm glad it doesn't happen here :)
Actually gun ownership probably does happen there, it is just that those that own guns keeps them secretly. Every ban of guns has always had those that bury them in the back yard or hide them somewheres. My grandfather buried his guns when the Nazis came.

carebear

JazzBaby said:

Non-Americans? Ever been to the Philippines? :D

Guns are still allowed in most European countries, even your neighbors in Britain, and there are still active shooting communities in all of them. You just have to look a bit harder to find them. The tight controls on general ownership are fairly recent inventions (early 20th Century) and aren't uniform across the continent.

Folks who live in cities with tight gun control laws (Chicago, New York, DC) in this country say similar things. "Guns? Why I don't know anyone who owns one." When just a few miles away there are folks, identical in every way, who own many.

We're all provincial in our own ways. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn