Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand gun ownership in the U.S.

How many HAND guns do you own?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to 5.

• 6 to 10.

• 11 to 25.

• 26 to 50, or more.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Senator Jack said:
I find this logic just a wee bit circular. What happens if the three toughs have guns, too?
Most legitamate gun owners are much more liable to practice with them then those on the other side of the law. When in practice I can clear the bowling pin excercise quite quickly. Most criminals only buy one box of ammo.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
Reminds me of the episode of All in the Family where Archie goes on television to give his editorial against gun control.

'I know how to stop all these hijackings. Arm all your passenger.' lol

I liked the one where Gloria said "But Daddy, every year thousands of people are killed by guns!"

Archie: "Well, little girl, would you feel any better if they were pushed outta windows?"
lol

-Viola

JazzBaby

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Actually gun ownership probably does happen there, it is just that those that own guns keeps them secretly. Every ban of guns has always had those that bury them in the back yard or hide them somewheres. My grandfather buried his guns when the Nazis came.

But here if you own a gun, you're a criminal. I don't mean to sound so 'black and white' about it, but reading this thread has been a bit of a culture shock for me lol

Actually, I'm a pretty damn good marksman (yes, I've shot a few times.) Banning guns is a moot discussion at this point anyway, so I'm not even going to get into that, but while gunpowder/TNT has certainly been beneficial to the world, I find guns have not. Perhaps the first defending army to use them managed to ward off an attacking horde, but once everyone got them, the equalizer argument went out the window.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately the people I could beat up in a fistfight are not the ones who take up violent criminal lifestyles.

-Viola

Be clear in you sentiments and announce them to the world.

I always suggest to the anti-gun people to post an easy to read notice on their homes or front lawns ANNOUNCING that guns (and or weapons) are not kept in this home.

The fact is most people will instantly recognize that it is an "invitation" for mischief and criminal intent on the part of the bad guys. In areas where criminals do not know who is likely to be armed at home, home invasions and burgalries tend to be much lower. There is a free ride for non-gun owners then too.

If you are older you may recall that after Florida had made it easier to get a concealed carry permit, robbery and car hijackings shifted to those people that flew in from out of state and rented cars at the airport. It was the only way the crooks could be sure to find unarmed people that were way less likely to resist armed robbery.

There is always a contigent of people that would rather have a woman raped and strangled with her own pantyhose than let her shoot and kill the guy who's gonna do it.

The question is then: "What side are you on?"

JazzBaby

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
There is always a contigent of people that would rather have a woman raped and strangled with her own pantyhose than let her shoot and kill the guy who's gonna do it.

The question is then: "What side are you on?"

I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning, but this thread is getting way :eek:fftopic:

Senator Jack said:
But I wouldn't have to put up that sign if the gun had never been invented. Again, I'm not going to argue gun-control in the U.S. because it's never going to happen anyway. As with the atomic bomb and bubble gum, I just think it was a particluarly bad idea for an invention.
Personal protection is a good idea, hunting is a great sport and guns facilitate such activities.

It comes down to you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

What is happening is that people don't recognize that something that can be used for good purposes can almost always be used for bad. But banning things can get out of hand. Alcohol, fire, water, knives and so on.

The number of people that are beaten to death with baseball bats yearly should make ownership and use carefully regulated and controlled the same with say having a backyard pool or using bicylces, they are simply too dangerous, and think of the chiildren.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Something to keep in mind.

Talking about who owns guns isn't politics, it's just conversation.

Talking about personal feelings about guns or their use isn't necessarily politics either, it's more philosophy.

Talking about taking actions on those feelings that affect gun ownership or use (bans/controls), that is politics.

Let's avoid the last one.

As a matter of fact, since I doubt anyone is going to sway anyone else, let's, as Jazzbaby pointed out, stay strictly on the topic of who owns or doesn't.

And I think non-Americans should definitely vote.

Guns aren't banned here. You just need to get the permit to take them out of the house.

When I was out in Arizona, I was confused by the signs that read 'Please check your guns at the door'. I thought they were just for historical color and Ms. Haze had to explain that they really meant 'check your guns at the door.'

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning, but this thread is getting way :eek:fftopic:
I agree. I was a bit afraid that this would get too political, but my curiosity made me ask.
To be quite honest, I had always leaned toward the anti-gun side of the issue in my more liberal "hippy" days. But in light of history, I see the wisdom in allowing the freedom to bear arms which was written into our constitution.

Here's an option that I should have included in my poll in hindsight.
If you live in a country in which gun ownership is restricted or completely illegal, would you own a gun if the laws against gun ownership were repealed? Or would you own a gun if you became a citizen of a country that did permit their ownership?

Rooster

Practically Family
'I know how to stop all these hijackings. Arm all your passenger.'
I've never disagreed with anything Archie ever said, a very wise character. Carrol O'Conner (rest his soul) on the other hand is a different story.....;)

Senator Jack said:
Guns aren't banned here. You just need to get the permit to take them out of the house.

When I was out in Arizona, I was confused by the signs that read 'Please check your guns at the door'. I thought they were just for historical color and Ms. Haze had to explain that they really meant 'check your guns at the door.'
THe Sulivan Law is about who can have what types of guns but the permit process is very difficult for most. I hear in parts of NJ it is extremely difficult to get the proper permits.

Here in Califonia it is not difficult to take the safety test that allows you to buy guns, but the ability to get a concealed carry permit is nearly impossible. Although the rich and famous seem to have a much easier time of it.

As to actually carry, you have more leeway in the rural areas then in any urban area. A friend that worked for the phone company upgrading the lines said in Fontana when you knocked on the door to llet them know their phone would be out of service for a while during the replacement, you were very likely to be greeted by a home owner (man or woman) with a holstered gun on their belt!

Hand guns are considered to be a defensive weapon. Getting to shoot a lot of different types of hand guns is really fun and you can find out what types and calibers are more fitting to what you'd like to do. There are many handgun shooting sports from target to action shooting.

You'll hear all of the arguements about caliber weight and speed of the bullet as well as the type: ball ammo, hollowpoints and even material.

You will hear of brands and who is better than who in design and manfacture.
It is the same as other areas where people have passions, be it cars or boats golf equipment or even sneakers. (Rarely, however is any one adiment about taking away your sneakers.)

I have a 45ACP, a 9mm and a 357 magnum. I would like to get a 44 mag and some early automatics at some point but my finances need to be a little bit better than at present to continue any collecting.

I have engaged in some competitive shooting in the past and am amazed at the ability of some of the contestants. A favorite to watch is the SOF 3 Gun Shoot that is part of the annual convention. With in paramenters, it has the use of pistol, rifle and shotgun in a variety of interesting scenarios that will make you think about tactics, which so few actually have to think about today.

If you are ever in Las Vegas during the convention get a ticket for the machine gun shoot and check out the 3 gun shoot, you can watch some of the competition that day. It is really an eye opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou