Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harlem Nightclub Map, undated

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Very cool. My office is smack in the middle of this map. It's sad, but I can't find one thing on this map that's still there. They're doing a great job of sanitizing Harlem these days, as they gentrify it.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Thank you Story!

I live in Washington, DC and the same thing happened in the U Street Corridor. Once bustling with nightclubs and restaurants, it is now gentrified and has no flavor at all. Now not all gentrification is bad though, the area, like Harlem, took a turn for the worst after the riots and the intentional influx of hardcore drugs, but those areas will never be like their former selves. Thank goodness we still can enjoy them through pictures.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
TheModernLife said:
Just noticed the map is indeed dated, 1932, in the bottom right corner.

Yep, that was one of the first things that I noticed, as well as the reefer transaction going on in the upper left corner of the map.lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I love all the white folks in top hats and tails "slumming." Although well dressed wealthy blacks depicted too.

Some of these clubs were for people that really wanted to rub shoulders with the various color of the community, while others were white only, upscale places. Of course I am sure there were mixed upscale places too.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
TheModernLife said:
Just noticed the map is indeed dated, 1932, in the bottom right corner.
I was gonna say - Don Redman's band was in residence at Connie's Inn. It had a CBS pickup, and on the night the Lindbergh baby was kidnaped (March 1, 1932), the band was on the air all night in between news flashes.

Of note is the artist, E. Simms Campbell, the first Black illustrator to break big in magazines. His "Harem Girls" appeared in Esquire from the very first issue, and he also did comic strips and ad campaigns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy