Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HARLEY x Real McCoy x Jason Momoa Horse hide D pocket 1940s

jeo

One Too Many
I don't want to open Pandora's box here, but the original leather jackets that are posted here in this forum are okay, can be found with a little patience and in good condition for fair prices. @jeo @tmitchell59's collections are cool and stand out from the crowd. But I have read and heard about leather jacket collections from Japanese collectors that are beyond anything that has ever existed. Unfortunately, little or nothing is made public, as is often the case with weirdos who stash their collections somewhere.

Very few big time collectors that actually share their collections. Many of them are very secretive. I’ve had multiple collectors share pics of rare jackets with me and ask that I don’t share, one of them stating that part of the value of even just the photos is that they are not circulating.

But what I actually mean by that is, for me if original then in great condition (NOS) rare, priceless, unique and that's why I stay away from it - LOL

There’s no right or wrong way to pursue buying/owning leather jackets, repro or original.

I totally understand why you’d want only mint/rare vintage pieces, I’m assuming so you can wear them.

I want mint and rare pieces as well (who doesn’t?) but for me those are the pieces I’d like to preserve. I like to wear the ones that aren't necessarily in perfect conation. I get what you’re saying, that they tell another persons story, and that’s why I also personally love and mostly wear my repros, so in 20-30 years they’ll tell my story.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Very few big time collectors that actually share their collections. Many of them are very secretive. I’ve had multiple collectors share pics of rare jackets with me and ask that I don’t share, one of them stating that part of the value of even just the photos is that they are not circulating.
That's the case, there are collectors who don't appear in public, for whatever reason. I know that e.g. the owner of RMC owns not one room but an entire hangar of valuables. But has anyone noticed anything in public?

There’s no right or wrong way to pursue buying/owning leather jackets, repro or original.
Absolutely whether original or repro doesn't matter, to each his own. There are preferences even within a collection. For me, I would rather give away my FW leather jackets instead of my two FiveStar jackets atm. But that can change again.

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
That's the case, there are collectors who don't appear in public, for whatever reason. I know that e.g. the owner of RMC owns not one room but an entire hangar of valuables. But has anyone noticed anything in public?

Absolutely whether original or repro doesn't matter, to each his own. There are preferences even within a collection. For me, I would rather give away my FW leather jackets instead of my two FiveStar jackets atm. But that can change again.

Absolutely, and people value different things for different reasons. Out of all the “grail” pieces I own, vintage or repro, it’s an LVC jacket that is one of my most prized.

Nacho

Practically Family
Absolutely, I see it that way too, but I still haven't followed the original vintage trend for leather (jackets) even though I've been in the "business" for a long time. Firstly because (for example) I don't want to wear a jacket whose history I don't know, maybe someone died in it (karma) and secondly I want to give my (repro) jacket its own life right from the start. I want it to get to my body and be comfortable to wear. Of course, this can also be the case with original jackets, but from my experience, this was (mostly) not the case, especially with leather jackets. With all the original pieces I had, I had the feeling that they were worn by someone else, which is true. The older an original leather jacket is and the more it has been worn by someone else, the less interesting it is to me. That's why as I mentioned before, for me personally only NOS comes into consideration when it comes to leather jackets, so I stick with the repros that I can breathe my own life into it.

I hear ya, monsieur. And they’re all valid points. Those are my concerns initially as well.

My collection is small, but it’s solid in terms of conditions i.e. no dirty lining, foul smells, crusty leather, etc. Pretty much mint. My jackets are also unique and rare for today’s standards. I want what people don’t have or only a small number has it. I take my time to curate this collection and I love it. And I’m also willing to pay for a jacket if it meets my standards. I’ve acquired a Seattle Woolen not long ago and I had to pay pretty pennies for it. But it’s well worth it in the end. The jacket is one of a kind and I don’t think there is a second one available.

However, I also think I will eventually get into the repro jackets. I do want to experience that feeling of breaking in the jacket myself as you succinctly put it “breathe my own life to it”. That, in itself, is also a worthwhile journey. When that time comes, I might need your consultation, monseiur! :cool:

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family
Totally understood. And the results can spectacular, as seen with some outstanding originals worn by @jeo, @Marc mndt, @ton312 or of course @tmitchell59, to name but a few.

Thing is: Even if I found a jacket in my size in decent condition (and I am sbolutely not willing to invest the amount of time needed for the hunt), I could not pull off a vintage look without changing part of my wardrobe (I am not wearing high-rise trousers to begin with).

Ah I see your dilemma, Tom. I don’t wear high-rise trousers either, but I’m lucky that I’m short and stocky (5’8 at 175lbs) so vintage jackets fit into my build nicely. I’m also in the vintage sweet spots 38 to 40 so finding a decent vintage leathers is easier.

To each their own I guess. As long as you feel good in them, that’s what matters at the end of the day.

Cane sciolto

New in Town
Greetings to all of you
Just enough time to introduce myself to the section and already ask for info on the model under discussion
After some research I found the attached model online, I had never seen one with a satin lining and I ask if it could be a good reproduction to interest me...
Thank you for your attention, greetings
Gianluca
harley.jpeg
harley1.jpeg
harley 2.jpeg
harley.jpeg harley1.jpeg harley 2.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Greetings to all of you
Just enough time to introduce myself to the section and already ask for info on the model under discussion
After some research I found the attached model online, I had never seen one with a satin lining and I ask if it could be a good reproduction to interest me...
Thank you for your attention, greetings
Gianluca
View attachment 560575 View attachment 560577 View attachment 560578 View attachment 560575 View attachment 560577 View attachment 560578
Can you please look under the inside tag to see if the jacket is made in Korea? I know some Harley licensed jackets were made there. Decent quality, but I believe the RMC one is made with better leather, just very expensive.

Cane sciolto

New in Town
Puoi guardare sotto l'etichetta interna per vedere se la giacca è prodotta in Corea? Quindi che alcune giacche con licenza Harley sono state realizzate lì. Qualità decente, ma credo che quello RMC sia realizzato con pelle migliore, solo molto costoso.
Grazie per la risposta, dall'etichetta vedo Made in USA, ma nella foto non riesco a capire se è di buona qualità e da chi può essere stato realizzato. Sono d'accordo con la meravigliosa qualità dell'RMC
label.jpg
label-1.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Grazie per la risposta, dall'etichetta vedo Made in USA, ma nella foto non riesco a capire se è di buona qualità e da chi può essere stato realizzato. Sono d'accordo con la meravigliosa qualità dell'RMC View attachment 560616 View attachment 560617
Interesting. The jacket looks like it's in very new-ish condition. I wonder who made these for Harley in the USA.

There are a few things that stood out for me.
1) spot work - the vintage champs I have seen have either the three or four dots spots (connected as one piece). This US made jacket uses single dot spots. Some vintage ones may have the same spots I just haven't seen them.
2) The torso pattern - is different than the vintage ones I have seen. Most vintage ones have really short body (23" ish), and there are two side gusset panels. This USA jacket has a longer torso when compared to the sleeves length and the back and side panels are different than the ones I have seen.

It's hard to judge the leather from these photos. They do look a bit smooth and flat to me but that could just be the lighting and the camera. I would expect premium leathers to have more natural variations of grains and wrinkles.

I would like to find out more about the maker and timeline behind this USA jacket. Very interesting.

If just judging from the given photos, I would go for the RMC repro for sure, if I just had 2400 to spend on one jacket.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. The jacket looks like it's in very new-ish condition. I wonder who made these for Harley in the USA.

There are a few things that stood out for me.
1) spot work - the vintage champs I have seen have either the three or four dots spots (connected as one piece). This US made jacket uses single dot spots. Some vintage ones may have the same spots I just haven't seen them.
2) The torso pattern - is different than the vintage ones I have seen. Most vintage ones have really short body (23" ish), and there are two side gusset panels. This USA jacket has a longer torso when compared to the sleeves length and the back and side panels are different than the ones I have seen.

It's hard to judge the leather from these photos. They do look a bit smooth and flat to me but that could just be the lighting and the camera. I would expect premium leathers to have more natural variations of grains and wrinkles.

I would like to find out more about the maker and timeline behind this USA jacket. Very interesting.

If just judging from the given photos, I would go for the RMC repro for sure, if I just had 2400 to spend on one jacket.

I have seen those. I purchased one for my daughter. Not at the current HD Road King level, but the jackets produced were good American-made reproductions. The line was produced some 12 years ago? Truly I do not remember the exact year but the quality was good. I would describe it as very high-end lining in Steer hide. The chain stops are way off. They are thick and finish in a flat pewter. I purchased one at the HD Museum. They were selling for about 600 dollars. I think I posted an image in this forum some years ago. Lastly, Not many road queen jackets have been produced lately.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have seen those. I purchased one for my daughter. Not at the current HD Road King level, but the jackets produced were good American-made reproductions. The line was produced some 12 years ago? Truly I do not remember the exact year but the quality was good. I would describe it as very high-end lining in Steer hide. The chain stops are way off. They are thick and finish in a flat pewter. I purchased one at the HD Museum. They were selling for about 600 dollars. I think I posted an image in this forum some years ago. Lastly, Not many road queen jackets have been produced lately.
That’s good to know, thanks for the info.

The RMC repro is a nice one, with the nice leather. I don’t care much for the RMC label and I think that’s the main reason for the price tag. Would be interesting to see how well they sell through.

Are these a "double action back" that I see? Never seen one of those before... How do they work?
I honestly don’t know. That’s why I want one. Haha. It could just be the basic action back and decorative top stitch, or it could be ”accordion” folds, which would be really interesting. A lot of really innovative ideas before the war that just got shelved after the war ended.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I don't know about the HD but double action backs do exist and they're functional.

This one has a box pleat as well.

View attachment 561870 View attachment 561871 View attachment 561872

Oh wow! I really like the idea of a double action back! (And I learnt about it just in time for my Field Leathers custom!)
I'll 100% take this idea to Sam, but I'll ask for the double action back to continue up to the shoulders and no box pleat for a clean wide back panel (like the HD)

Really cool back design there!

Nacho

Practically Family
Grazie per la risposta, dall'etichetta vedo Made in USA, ma nella foto non riesco a capire se è di buona qualità e da chi può essere stato realizzato. Sono d'accordo con la meravigliosa qualità dell'RMC View attachment 560616 View attachment 560617

You can use the RN number (or register number I believe) to trace who made this jacket for Harley. I've got a HD CHP made by Golden Bear.

tempImage4RML8t.jpg

Notice the RN# - 72824. Here is the same RN# with the Golden Bear label. Even same font and everything.

ezgif-2-9c7fdc23af.jpg

Your RN# is 103819 so you just have to look that up. I would start in California Business Registry first since you have another line below the RN#, which is CA#03412. CA usually stands for California. If that yields nothing, then you can try the East Coast.

Or you can call HD directly. But the chance that somebody there even knows who made the jacket is really low though.

Nacho

Practically Family

I agree. My HD CHP from above is actually decent quality. The steerhide is nice and heavy. Also has good grains to it. The construction is great and the stitching is very clean. The stitching honestly looks way better than the two Cals I had. It puts my Cals to shame unfortunately.

tempImageh7zv3p.jpg

tempImage3uEYRa.jpg

tempImagedK79L3.jpg

tempImageIobR9F.jpg

tempImage1U360V.jpg

tempImageMDfpse.jpg

I believe it was made in the 80s based on the Bar & Shield label. It even has Talon zippers and everything. Probably NOS or leftover from the earlier era at the time the jacket was made.

tempImageiAjSKj.jpg

tempImagedkq9s5.jpg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I agree. My HD CHP from above is actually decent quality. The steerhide is nice and heavy. Also has good grains to it. The construction is great and the stitching is very clean. The stitching honestly looks way better than the two Cals I had. It puts my Cals to shame unfortunately.

View attachment 561953
View attachment 561954
View attachment 561961
View attachment 561955
View attachment 561956
View attachment 561957

I believe it was made in the 80s based on the Bar & Shield label. It even has Talon zippers and everything. Probably NOS or leftover from the earlier era at the time the jacket was made.

View attachment 561959
View attachment 561960
This is lovely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael