Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Glove Era Advise & Etiquette

epr25

Practically Family
Hi. I am trying to put together a very vintage all out outfit. I am going to attend a vintage bridal show and would like to go in full dress. I am pretty knowledgeable about dating dresses and clothing ect. I feel though that I should also be wearing gloves and a hat. The function is on May 19 so more then likely it will be warm out. So when you wear gloves with a short sleeved dress do you wear short wrist length or mid for arm? Also what is appropriate with hats of this season? I have a very nice navy felt tilt hat but is it out to felt for spring? Also are tilt hats ok to wear with a fuller skirted dress from the 50's or are those more specifically from the 40's? I can take photos of everything I am considering and maybe you guys can help me. I would like to be as historically accurate as possible.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The general rule when wearing gloves is the shorter the sleeve, the longer the glove. You can wear shorties (wrist length gloves) up to mid-arm gloves with a cap or short-sleeved dress/blouse during the day.

Little tilt hats were very popular in the 1940s, but you can certainly mix and match eras. However, if you want to be as period accurate as possible, I would choose a close-fitting cap style or a larger, wide brimmed ‘pancake’ or ‘cartwheel’ style that is meant to perch flat on the head (the shorter hairstyles of the 50s called for different style hats than worn in the 1940s.)

epr25

Practically Family
I will take photos of the things I was planning on putting together and see what you guys think. I woudl not ususally worry about the correctness of the hat and glove thing but the function is going to be held by the historical society that has a vast collection of vintage clothes and I would think these ladies will know what's what. But hey they might not. I just thought that if I was going to make a spectical of myself I should at least make an effort to get it as correct as possible. I am also undecided as to a hair style. But I guess that will come after I choose a hat.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
epr25 said:
I will take photos of the things I was planning on putting together and see what you guys think. I woudl not ususally worry about the correctness of the hat and glove thing but the function is going to be held by the historical society that has a vast collection of vintage clothes and I would think these ladies will know what's what. But hey they might not. I just thought that if I was going to make a spectical of myself I should at least make an effort to get it as correct as possible. I am also undecided as to a hair style. But I guess that will come after I choose a hat.

Photos of your outfit would be lovely! I am sure everything will look wonderful together.

A good friend of mine owns a vintage clothing store, and often hosts vintage fashion shows. She mixes eras of clothing when she wears vintage outfits and even does so in some of the shows (for example, she has a lovely velvet 1930s gown that she pairs with a 1950s hat, as the two items go perfectly together.) Some styles carried through into different eras, or complement one another well, so I wouldn't be too concerned about what the hosts of this event will be thinking. Most likely, they will be very pleased to see a guest in vintage attire. :)

epr25

Practically Family
I knwo I would love to go there and see someone else dressed. I have never ran into anyone else that dresses vintage. There is this one lady here in town that buys all the vintage she can find even though she has no hope of ever fitting into any of it. Which I have to admit is a little irratating. But her maybe I will happen on to her garge sale some time? I am hoping to become active in the historical society that is hosting the show. I woudl just love to be able to volunteer and deal with all the clothes they have.

Martina

One of the Regulars
Jitterbugdoll photos?

:eek:fftopic:
Hi jitterbugdoll,
I have a question for you; I went to the website by your signature and looked at the photos in the gallery. Are those pictures of you? If so, YOU ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! I mean really stunning! Sheesh, talk about making me green with envy!
The clothes, the hairstyles, the make-up! Now I really have something to 'model' after!

As to the topic of mixing eras, I'd be interested to hear what hats should be worn with a 1950s dress also. I just got the most pretty dress and have NO idea what sort of hat to wear! I guess I'll have to post a photo too because I can't decide on the color of the shoe, since the dress is an odd grayish blue color.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Martina said:
:eek:fftopic:
Hi jitterbugdoll,
I have a question for you; I went to the website by your signature and looked at the photos in the gallery. Are those pictures of you? If so, YOU ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! I mean really stunning! Sheesh, talk about making me green with envy!
The clothes, the hairstyles, the make-up! Now I really have something to 'model' after!

As to the topic of mixing eras, I'd be interested to hear what hats should be worn with a 1950s dress also. I just got the most pretty dress and have NO idea what sort of hat to wear! I guess I'll have to post a photo too because I can't decide on the color of the shoe, since the dress is an odd grayish blue color.

Those are indeed photos of me, and your compliments really made my day! You are too kind. :eek:

Because hairstyles changed in the 1950s, to shorter, neater styles (no more elaborate rolls), hat styles changed as well. The actual hat tended to fit closer to the head, though there was still a wide variety of styles. Here are some examples of popular hat styles:

Pancake hat:
50shat7.jpg

Headband style:
50shat8aa.jpg

Cap:
50shat77aa.jpg

50shat87a.jpg

50shat53aa.jpg

50shat88aa.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Womens clothing is a bit more leanent than mens, I would think mainly because women could make a lot of their own clothes. Altho Im sure they followed the trends, they also wanted to satand out, and would all special touches to what ever they were wearing.

Me, Im not too big a fan of a sleeveless dress with gloves (wrist length), altho I have seen it. For the summer, and a good look, Id go with short sleeve (almost to the elbow) and wrist gloves. That is very spring tea party to me :)

Im new to hats, but Id think a nice 'coaster' hat in a light color would be perfect.

Please post pics!

LD

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Men wear felt hats all the time...Maybe you could go by color? If it wasn't dark Idon't see why not!! As long as you are not Miss Sweaty Head...

epr25

Practically Family
Well I wanted to thank all of you for you suggestions. I have included a photo of what I fianlly landed on wearing for this bridal show. (I look weird in the photo because it was super windy and I was just hoping to get the phot shot before my hat blew away) Which by the way was really cool. There were a large amoutn of the dresses that arrived with the brides. There was a lady that was married in 41 that was going to give me her dress because her daughter didn't want it. Can you imagine. Anyway she wound up donating it to the museum. But it was great to hear all the stories. I would recomend goigng to something like this if you ever see it in you area.

mesmall.jpg
[/IMG]

epr25

Practically Family
Thanks I appreciate the complements. I thought about a hat pin but with my hair there really isn;t anythign to pin it to. How do you go about doing that?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
epr25 said:
Thanks I appreciate the complements. I thought about a hat pin but with my hair there really isn;t anythign to pin it to. How do you go about doing that?

I've always asked myself the same question. Someplace, I have a bunch of my grandmother's old hat pins.

Etienne

A-List Customer
You just stick the pin into the crown of your hat on one side, "catch" a bunch of hair underneath, and push it out on the other side! I find the onger the pin, the better it holds because it's catching more hair. Some of my hats have small combs sewn into them on the inside rim, which is truly helpful!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do you ladies know, if anything, about "Duchess" gloves? I found a new pair in their box and am trying to research. Unfortunately there seems to be a modern duchess out there who enjoys wearing opera gloves so Google is messy! lol

Here they are:
0402091158.jpg

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
What do you ladies know, if anything, about "Duchess" gloves? I found a new pair in their box and am trying to research. Unfortunately there seems to be a modern duchess out there who enjoys wearing opera gloves so Google is messy! lol

Here they are:
0402091158.jpg

Hmm, they look like regular gloves to me, but I am probably mistaken! I have a pair similar to that with little rhinestones on the topside of the hand, but I haven't worn them yet. Is Duchess the brand?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
epr25 said:

Your hair has to be fastened down somewhere for the pin to anchor through it. Even a small barrette on the crown of your head will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner