Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
buler said:
Knapp-felt

B

ck_box_1.jpg

ck_box_2.jpg

ck_box_3.jpg

More art deco there Buler. Love that stuff!

barrowjh

One Too Many
JTL, I have a shorter version of that same box, and it is my favorite box. I am emotionally moved every time I read that ancient dialect, and wonder how it was pronounced (American Manufacture). There is a hat box for every hat in my collection (fur felts and straws, not for caps), but none are particularly noteworthy except for this - a CK box:
091809001.jpg

091809002.jpg

091809003.jpg

Most of the time when I visit antique stores I come home with a hat box, only on one occasion did I find a hat, and it is a beater. I have maybe a half-dozen nice boxes that need decent hats in them yet . . .

Here is a pic including that 'American Manufacture' Stetson box, with the cinnamon Sovereign w/mode edge sitting on it that I won from Rilico on OFAS for $137 a while back.
062908009.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Some group shots

Churchill, Disney, Kimball, Mallory, Caxton

yesterday.jpg

Stetson 100 year anniversary, Borso on a Churchill, Knox, Emerson

todays_pile.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
barrowjh said:
JTL, I have a shorter version of that same box, and it is my favorite box. I am emotionally moved every time I read that ancient dialect, and wonder how it was pronounced (American Manufacture). There is a hat box for every hat in my collection (fur felts and straws, not for caps), but none are particularly noteworthy except for this - a CK box:
091809001.jpg

091809002.jpg

091809003.jpg

Most of the time when I visit antique stores I come home with a hat box, only on one occasion did I find a hat, and it is a beater. I have maybe a half-dozen nice boxes that need decent hats in them yet . . .

Here is a pic including that 'American Manufacture' Stetson box, with the cinnamon Sovereign w/mode edge sitting on it that I won from Rilico on OFAS for $137 a while back.
062908009.jpg

Don't see too many C & K boxes JB. Thanks for posting yours.

So when did hatboxes move from round and octagonal shapes into square boxes? I'm thinking the 60's and picked up speed in the 70's when creativity was sacrificed to functionality.

And JB - man I love that cinnamon lid!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That Adam box of Scott's is beautiful with the blue. I've got a more generic one:
1804_1.jpg

This is one of my favorites:
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0021b.jpg

Here's one that's purely functional:
DSC_0002.jpg

This is the seller's pic from an old auction. By the time this hat arrived, the box was demolished. :(
5b49_1.jpg

This steel tube contained the 100ish year old Montecristi:
DSC_0040.jpg

And this big (hold three hats) Knox box:
DSC_0005.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
That Adam box of Scott's is beautiful with the blue. I've got a more generic one:
1804_1.jpg

This is one of my favorites:
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0021b.jpg

Here's one that's purely functional:
DSC_0002.jpg

This is the seller's pic from an old auction. By the time this hat arrived, the box was demolished. :(
5b49_1.jpg

This steel tube contained the 100ish year old Montecristi:
DSC_0040.jpg

And this big (hold three hats) Knox box:
DSC_0005.jpg

That old Borsa box is something to treasure. I've never seen anything like it. As for the 'funtional' roll up tin - it's got style!

And hell...a triple hatter by Knox?! Never knew they existed. Where do you guys find these things??!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner