Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and their paired Hat Boxes

J. Hückel´s Söhne Flexible and box from the store that sold it (Otto Weichenhain Reichenberg, Czechoslovakia)

9854191195_7008a29dc9_b.jpg

9854275884_c19b9ce79b_b.jpg

9854124355_78fc7e5c3a_b.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Dunlap 40 with the box it came in. Sold to JTL and this is his pic.

B
attachment.php

Attachments

• dunlap_40_jtl.jpg
    dunlap_40_jtl.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 332
This thread opens up a whole new window on our world. Thanks (especially to Steve) for your super start to the effort with the fantastic and copious photos. Your collection continues to AMAZE!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting thread folks. The boxes are incredibly interesting. The boxes fulfill so many niches - advertising, identification, branding and sheer artful creations. It has been some time since I picked up a new Stetson, but my last had a terribly generic box. (The box was white/grey with big fonts. Other than branding Stetson - not much of visual interest.) IMO, they missed quite an opportunity. I recall a pic of Allan's hat room with open shelves with hat stacks and boxes of hats. The boxes made the racks look terribly appealing. Appealing in such a way that we could be proud to have them displayed in our living quarters. (Although, in reflection, display/storage aside, Alan's collection by itself represents an artful hat aficionado. )

I recall my Grandfather storing his Sunday hat in it's box in his clothes closet. His weekday fedoras stayed in the coat closet. I do not recall ever seeing his everyday fedora hat boxes. I will ask my Mom if she has more memories of my Grandfather's hat habits.

Steve, the "generic box, " is a vintage thing of beauty. BTW - the wooden hat forms are top notch.

Best to all, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Steve; Wow - more cool boxes. Those vintage boxes are so cool. Your collection should be featured at the Baltimore Art Museum at some time.

Where/how did folks store their hat boxes? If the hat boxes were visually interesting and artful in design, did folks in the 1800-2 to early 1900's display them in their living spaces?

Thanks, Curious me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic