Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

When I was a kid, you were either a Batman fan or a Green Hornet fan. I was a Green Hornet fan...
I saw Van Williams at a convention several years ago and, among other things, he said he wasn't too disappointed when the show got cancelled because filming during the summer in California in a three-piece wool suit and a wool overcoat wasn't particularly comfortable, and that the masks gave him and Bruce Lee headaches. He also mentioned his work as a reserve deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in Malibu, and said that every once in a while someone would suddenly recognize his voice and comment, "Oh man, I just got busted by the Green Hornet!" lol

By the way, I liked both Batman and The Green Hornet as well, but they were so different in tone that it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Getting back on topic, although it's not exactly famous, I'd take Caine's hat from Kung Fu over any of the hats in the article:

Caine_Hat_zps3bf3ffb3.gif

I loves me a good "beater" hat. :D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Famous TV Hats

I saw Van Williams at a convention several years ago and, among other things, he said he wasn't too disappointed when the show got cancelled because filming during the summer in California in a three-piece wool suit and a wool overcoat wasn't particularly comfortable, and that the masks gave him and Bruce Lee headaches. He also mentioned his work as a reserve deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in Malibu, and said that every once in a while someone would suddenly recognize his voice and comment, "Oh man, I just got busted by the Green Hornet!" lol

By the way, I liked both Batman and The Green Hornet as well, but they were so different in tone that it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Getting back on topic, although it's not exactly famous, I'd take Caine's hat from Kung Fu over any of the hats in the article:

Caine_Hat_zps3bf3ffb3.gif

I loves me a good "beater" hat. :D

I remember Kung Fu. I used to watch it every week. What kind of hat is he wearing? Is that an Open Road?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Any idea what that one is?

If you're asking for the maker, I thank you for your strong confidence in my knowledge, Richard. I imagine it's custom-made for the series, but I have no clue :)

I'm not sure, I would be comfortable wearing a hat with that silhouette - but I sure like the looks on others

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're asking for the maker, I thank you for your strong confidence in my knowledge, Richard. I imagine it's custom-made for the series, but I have no clue :)

I'm not sure, I would be comfortable wearing a hat with that silhouette - but I sure like the looks on others

It was worth a try :)

Web searches don't bring forth results. If they're custom then they've been imported, unless they've found our missing hat makers :(

I rather like the profile on that hat, and the colour.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It was worth a try :) [...] If they're custom then they've been imported, unless they've found our missing hat makers

Of course, it was worth a try! Hopefully we both know, that the only stupid question is the one, that was never asked ;)

You may be in the same situation as us Danes. We have only have one or two retailer shops - but no real hatters. Yet, there's a couple of Danish hatters, supplying the movie and theatre business with hats. I'm aware that the costume department at our national theatre has one or two formaly trained hatters employed.

There is actually one small factory in Copenhagen, that makes some hats - as I understand it, mainly stiff and ceremonial hats. He also makes the Danish designed Adler Fedora ... you can see him work on one here. He has made a few fedoras for a couple of old colleagues from my theatre-days. Not really nice and luxurious - but cheap [huh]

ManofKent

Of course, it was worth a try! Hopefully we both know, that the only stupid question is the one, that was never asked ;)

You may be in the same situation as us Danes. We have only have one or two retailer shops - but no real hatters. Yet, there's a couple of Danish hatters, supplying the movie and theatre business with hats. I'm aware that the costume department at our national theatre has one or two formaly trained hatters employed.

There is actually one small factory in Copenhagen, that makes some hats - as I understand it, mainly stiff and ceremonial hats. He also makes the Danish designed Adler Fedora ... you can see him work on one here. He has made a few fedoras for a couple of old colleagues from my theatre-days. Not really nice and luxurious - but cheap [huh]

Christy's and Olney still produce fur felt hats in the UK using imported felts, and there are a few companies who produce woolies and caps. No custom hat makers that I'm aware of though. That Adler Fedora is an interesting beast!

For UK members of a certain age there's always Mr Benn:

tumblr_lqyupbgnB21qborvto1_500.jpg

I remember Kung Fu. I used to watch it every week. What kind of hat is he wearing? Is that an Open Road?
In one of the commentaries on the second season DVD set, David Carradine has this to say about the hat: "I chose the hat because I thought this was kind of an "everyman" character, and I wanted a hat that looked like...something like Jimmy Stewart would wear. And, so we found this Stetson, uh, I think it's actually called a "Sheriff's" model, and, uh, you know, messed it up. And, of course, it got messier as, uh, the show went on." Aside from that, I have no idea. I suppose it could be an Open Road that was modified, which might explain the ribbon difference TheDane mentioned in post #78, but someone far more knowledgeable about Stetson's history than I am would have to make that determination.

ManofKent

Tom Baker as the fourth Doctor in one of his fedoras (Ithink there were about 3 or 4 across the series, as well as a deerstalker):

tumblr_lm55ojxb3i1qh21rc.jpg

hatflick1

Practically Family
What's curious to me is the old 50's Highway Patrol in which
star Broderick Crawford always wore a suit and fedora. On the
highway?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=en&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CDQQrQMwAw

Whereas Andy Griffith, as Sheriff Taylor in the Andy Griffith show, NEVER wore his uniform cap.
Why I find this of interest is because my wife was pulled over for speeding many
years ago when my son was a toddler and strapped into the car seat. When
the officer asked my wife for her license and registration, my son asked, "Where's
your hat?" The officer groused that it was in the patrol car. Being a kid, my son
asked the same question again. Same answer from the edgy cop. My son then, in
his innocent wisdom said, "But you have to wear your hat" at which point the
cop shrugged, told my wife to watch her speed, said goodbye to my son and
got back in his car. No citation drawn.
Hat's off to my boy!

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
i agree hw
pat mcnee in the avengers ruled !
john steeds hand me downs from cathy gale (honor blackman - pussy galore) to dianna rigg ( emma peel ) to james bond the one and only james bond stands testament that he is the number one super spy

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I am surprised no one has mentioned Stacy Keach as Mike Hammer. That was certainly one that struck me when I was younger.

Also: Yogi Bear.

I am very glad that ManofKent spoke up for the fourth Doctor's fedoras, which are much more iconic than the current Doctor's fez (although I do agree that fezzes--and bow ties--are cool). The fifth Doctor also wore a fine panama hat with his cricketeer's jacket and celery stick.

And Hoss Cartwright's huge white cowboy hat was another fascination of my youth. That hat really had charisma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21