Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

This hat & the part of Agustus McCrae as played by Robert Duval were so popular that the name of the hat crease changed & it became known as the Gus.

118k7rt.jpg

2yjsutt.jpg

ajwm4i.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Billionaire George Hearst as played by Gerald McRaney on HBO's Deadwood series.

2rddhdg.jpg

2m322as.jpg

2vabf2r.jpg

And Gerald McRaney as he often appears in his private life off screen:

6yedz7.jpg

1627ckh.jpg
McRaney started his career at our Southern Rep Theater back in the late '60s or early '70s -- at least, I recall seeing him in a performance back then.

McRaney started his career at our Southern Rep Theater back in the late '60s or early '70s -- at least, I recall seeing him in a performance back then.
The first I ever saw of him was back when he & his brother had a weekly TV show where they played Private Investigators; don't recall the name now. Maybe 1980's?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The first I ever saw of him was back when he & his brother had a weekly TV show where they played Private Investigators; don't recall the name now. Maybe 1980's?
Right, Simon and Simon. I was struck by McRaney on stage -- he was lean and hungry-looking, rather a Cassius type (though that wasn't what he was playing -- I think the play was Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth, with June Havoc). He resembled the young David McCallum in some ways.

Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak in the series "Kolchak - The Night Stalker," contrasted with Rhys Darby as Guy Mann on an episode of recently rebooted The X-Files.
Kolchaks-5-wardrobe.jpg
Picture9.jpg

As X-Files owes much to The Night Stalker, the character of Guy Mann was an homage to Mr. McGavin's iconic 70s character.

Actor George Reeves whose manner of death is still debated today, as the mild mannered Clark Kent.
I'm certain the hats Reeves wore in Adventures of Superman were a strong influence for me. I remember watching reruns of the show when I was young, and the hats' straight-sided crowns and brims snapped way down are just how I like 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn