Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HATS WITH HISTORY

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
Cool, Michael Horse was Deputy Hawk on Twin Peaks. A Casey Tibbs hat, if original, would go for some $$$ in cowboy collectible circles. He was a champion rodeo cowboy, and well-remembered in that community. Frank

Yes sir, Casey Tibbs was one of the most famous, way back there. I remember hearing a lot about him when I was a kid, in 60's but I am pretty sure he had quite riding by then. Freckles Brown was another older Rider that was well known, and I was lucky enough to see him ride several times, as he was still riding in the early 60's, as well a Jim Shoulders, and later Larry Mahan in the 70's.

It's funny, I can remember the older rider's names, but have trouble remembering the more recent champions. Maybe it part of getting older.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that this one is currently over $1k on the bay.
KGrHqFlkE2EVTys6hBNr2742yw_12.jpg

KGrHqZloE2EvWzpyBNrfV4Kmng_12.jpg

KGrHqVlcE2Eo4qvsBNrfVtlOEQ_12.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I were a buyer, I would be suspicious that the claim to fame is false. It would be fairly easy to fake a hat and say it was worn by someone famous. I believe antique buyers and sellers face the same problem. Witness the sales of the "authentic Michael Jackson hats." I'm not stating to the seller that the claim is false, just that it could be, and who would know?

HatsEnough

Banned
I have three hats with any personal history to them.

This one is a Number 1 Quality Stetson Western in a beautiful white...

stetsonwhite07.jpg

Owned by Nathan Levy, Post Master, Visalia, California -- Nathan Levy, son of Julius was Postmaster of Visalia up to the time of his death in 1939 at the age of 67. Arrived in California in 1863, in Tulare County in 1865. His daughter Rita married Marco Hellman of Los Angeles.

This 1880s black tall derby from Illinois...

scaled.php

Was made at Romeiser's hats in Belleville Illinois. The hat belonged to W. H. Phelps, prominent businessman in the area in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

And finally, this 1860s era top hat...

scaled.php

Owned by Dr. John McKirk & family. Here is a brief history on Dr. John McKirk & family.

JOHN D. McGIRK, M. D., of Philipsburg, Centre County, was an able and successful physician whose many years of unremitting application to his professional work have given him a place in the front rank among the practitioners of his section. He is a native of Philipsburg, born
October 21, 1834, and the family name is associated with some of the important events of pioneer times in that locality.

Dr. McGirk laid the basis of his education in the schools of his native town and in the academy at Williamsport, Penn., but for the most part his education has been gained by private study. Medical science early attracted his attention, and he practiced with marked success for some years before entering medical college; but in the spring of 1871 he completed the regular professional course at the University of Pennsylvania, obtaining the degree of M.D. Returning to his old home he resumed his work with renewed zeal, and has since remained in active practice.

On November 20, 1856, he was married to Miss Mary F. Hand, a native of Cape May county, N.J., born May 1837. They have had three children:
Loretta, who died at the age of seven years; Annie, at home; and
Charles E., born September 17, 1869, now in practice with his father; his literary education was secured at Dickinson College, Carlisle,
Penn., and then, entering the University of Pennsylvania, he pursued the medical course, graduating in 1895. Studious, progressive, and endowed with fine native abilities, he is a young man of whom the community expects much. Dr. McGirk and family are members of the M. E.
Church. Socially he is affiliated with the F. & A.M., in which fraternity he in his younger days took an active interest. In politics he invariably votes the Democratic ticket. Besides his elegant and comfortable residence, the Doctor owns a fine block in Philipsburg; for several years he kept a popular drug store in the city.

Mrs. McGirk is a descendant of a well-known family of English origin.
The first ancestor of whom we have any record was John Hand, who was born in 1611, at Stanstead, near Maidstone, in the County of Kent,
England. Coming to America, he settled first in Massachusetts in the vicinity of Lynn. In 1634 he moved to Connecticut, to South Hampton in
1644, and to East Hampton in 1648, his death occurring at the last named place in 1660. He married Miss Stamborough, and had seven sons and one daughter. Shamgar Hand, the first son, married, and had five sons and two daughters. Zelophephad Hand, the next in line of descent, married, and had four sons and three daughters. Nathaniel, the first son married, had three sons and three daughters, his eldest son, Jeremiah, being Mrs. McGirk's grandfather. He was born in 1763 and died in 1815. He married Deborah Hand, his cousin, and had four sons and one daughter, as follows: Joseph, Jeremiah, Jesse, Aaron and Deborah. Aaron Hand, Mrs. McGirk's father, was born May 30, 1786, and died May 31, 1852. He and his wife, Eliza (Foster), had four children: Aaron S., Elizabeth, Deborah and Mary (Mrs. McGirk).

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
In 2011 I bought this Resistol 7 X Beaver from a German Seller. The Story!
This was a gift from L.B Johnson to a German politican.
Felix von Eckardt.
1955 to 1956 he served as an observer at the United Nations in New York.
more Informations: Here

It is known that Johnson like to give away hats. Here are some photos!

resistol.jpg

resistol1.jpg

resistol2.jpg

resistol3.jpg

resistol4.jpg

resistol5.jpg

P.S. By the way, also seen at the Federal Chancellery visit: this handsome hat that Lyndon B. Johnson once gave Ludwig Erhard:

johnson-gastgeschenk.jpg

Quelle:http://www.usa-blogger.de/aussenpolitik/britisch-amerikanische-beziehungskrise

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
What a wonderful historical item, not to mention a stunning hat. Congratulations, Manfred, it could not possibly be in better hands...and on a finer noggin!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Al, my friend, my sincere thanks, you are too kind. I appreciate you very much

This hat was the second time in Ebay Germany. The first one 2010 I lost the Auction. 2011 was it my Hat!

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
Manfred---congrats to you, my friend, on a fantastic find. That's a special piece of history you got there. Does it fit?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Jason and Randall, thanks so much for the nice comments. I really appreciate them.
Jason, the Resistol is a 7 1/8 - I wear normally a size 7. I have some stripes cork under the sweatband
and it fits perfect.

Landman

One Too Many
In 2011 I bought this Resistol 7 X Beaver from a German Seller. The Story!
This was a gift from L.B Johnson to a German politican.
Felix von Eckardt.
1955 to 1956 he served as an observer at the United Nations in New York.
more Informations: Here

It is known that Johnson like to give away hats. Here are some photos!

resistol.jpg

resistol1.jpg

resistol2.jpg

resistol3.jpg

resistol4.jpg

resistol5.jpg

P.S. By the way, also seen at the Federal Chancellery visit: this handsome hat that Lyndon B. Johnson once gave Ludwig Erhard:

johnson-gastgeschenk.jpg

Quelle:http://www.usa-blogger.de/aussenpolitik/britisch-amerikanische-beziehungskrise

Manfred,

That is a great LBJ hat! I have an older relative that was one of LBJ's Secret Service agents. He lived at the ranch and stayed with LBJ until he died. He told me LBJ had a room full of Resistol hats in different sizes and would give them away to friends and visitors. They all had the same liner as the one in your hat but the sweatband was a little different. It had imprinted on it "Made Expressly for Lyndon B. Johnson, President of the United States". It seems your hat was specially ordered by LBJ because it has the man's name imprinted on it. LBJ must have really wanted to impress him because he could have just grabbed one of the many new hats he already had made up and give it to him. Great find!

Mike

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike, thanks. Thanks again for the nice Story about LBJ. It's very interesting and informative what LBJ did, with his hats.

Hi

I read the first 3 of Robert Caro's books on LBJ, and if you can read them, believe them, and LIKE HIM at all, then Mother Theresa would look up to you. As I read about old LBJ and his hats, I find myself in awe of his showmanship, style, and self confidence. He was probably the world's best politician and coming from me, that's NOT a compliment.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24