Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HATS WITH HISTORY

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Hi

I read the first 3 of Robert Caro's books on LBJ, and if you can read them, believe them, and LIKE HIM at all, then Mother Theresa would look up to you. As I read about old LBJ and his hats, I find myself in awe of his showmanship, style, and self confidence. He was probably the world's best politician and coming from me, that's NOT a compliment.

Later

1961, thanks. No I dont know much about LBJ and his Style and showmanship. But thanks for the clarification and your opinion.

TPD166

One Too Many
Mallory Homburgs - Sen. Guy M. Gillette

I recently bought two Homburgs owned by Sen. Gillette [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Gillette], who was in the U.S. Senate in the 1930-40s, and again in the 1950s (also up for auction were his derby and a top hat). The Homburgs are an Adam (which seems to be the older of the two) and a Mallory Diplomat (photos below). The Adam has his full name on the sweat and the Mallory has his initials. The Mallory only needed brushing and looks like new - the Adam is in good shape, but was not stored properly, needing a cleaning and blocking (I will post pics of the Adam when I pick it up later this week). I found quite of few pictures of Sen. Gillette, but none with a Homburg on (so far). I am keeping the Adam, but have listed the Mallory in the FL Classifieds if anyone is interested - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?64705-Mallory-Diplomat-Homburg-7-3-8.

Here is the Mallory:
Mallory_1a.jpg

Mallory_2.jpg

Mallory_2a.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
Homburg #2

This is the second of two homburgs I bought that belonged to U.S. Senator Guy Gillette (the Mallory shown above went to another Lounger). This one is a late 1940s - early 1950s Adam DeLuxe homburg, and the sweatband is embossed "Made Especially for Hon. Guy M. Gillette." I picked the hat up today from Paris Hatters and below are the "before" and "after" pictures.

Adam_Homburg.jpg

How it looked when I got it 3 weeks ago
Adam_before.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Alaska Governor's Hat

Below is a hat I recently purchased that apparently was given to Alaska's first Governor, William A. Egan. The sweatband states it is a Three X Beaver Governor's Special with Governor Egan's name also imprinted on it. It is a size 7 3/8 and has the same dimensions as a Resistol San Antonio or a Stetson Open Road. The hat appears to have never been worn or creased and came with the original box. Also in the box was one of Harry Rolnick's business cards.

Gov_Egan_Hat_301.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_303.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_304.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_305.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_306.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_307.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks guys.

Randall, it fits me just a tad too tight but I have no intention of stretching it or wearing it. Since he was the first Governor of Alaska it should really be in a museum up there.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mike, what an incredible find!! I've never seen a personal business card from Harry Rolnick. Congrats!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Landman

One Too Many
Mike, what an incredible find!! I've never seen a personal business card from Harry Rolnick. Congrats!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks Josh. The business card is very cool. I knew Resistol and Churchill hats were related but I didn't know about Kevin McAndrew hats.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys.

Randall, it fits me just a tad too tight but I have no intention of stretching it or wearing it. Since he was the first Governor of Alaska it should really be in a museum up there.
Keep us posted on the outcome should you you decide to offer it to an Alaskan museum, okay?

Walt

One of the Regulars
Nice find Landman! I would have bid on it had I not missed it....

I trust you will let us know what you learn about its history.

Last edited:

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I'm now the Caretaker of the above Resistol too as ScottF passed the hat. His Phil Rizzuto Knox I believe has moved along as well and the posts' photos are gone.
rlk, do you know who ended up with Phil Rizzuto's Knox? His daughter Penny is married to one of the guys from my fire department.

Walt

One of the Regulars
When I was a little boy, this western, this hat and his gun were my favourites ¡¡¡¡

Anyone recall what the Arness Bailey went for?

BTW, a while back watching one of the old Black & White episodes of the Marshal Dillon show (half hour Gunsmoke) he takes off this same styled hat and sets it on the saloon table upside down. The 50's style Stetson logo is clearly visible on the sweatband which makes sense as this was a show from the 50's. I know Baron Hats claims they made hats for the show. Perhaps in the 60's or 70's. As that show was on the air for 20 years (record) I'm sure they went through a lot of hats and makers over the years.

I wonder if he had extra hats he gave as gifts or if this one was truly one worn on the TV show. Also wonder what his hat size was as he was 6'7".

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1920s Stetson Select

This stetson belonged to James Thomas Hughes.

J.T. Hughes (Tom), was the son of J.E Hughes, the man known as the father of Florala, Ala.

Tom Hughes, took over his Father's Saw Mill co. which was founded in 1903, and was the primary stockholder for the company. Using wood from his Saw mill co., Tom had a mansion made in 1910, which still stands today. During that time, Tom also became the president of Florala's First National Bank. Tom passed away in 1923, which would mean this Stetson is early 20s, or maybe even older than that...

Below are some photos of the mansion, saw mill co, and bank, which were sent to me from the Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce. Sadly, I can not identify if Tom is in any of the photos.

The Saw Mill Co.

Could this be Tom?

Florala's First National Bank

Tom's Mansion, where my hat was located in the attic.

Hughes-mansion-kh.jpg

Here is the Stetson:

02110.jpg

02212.jpg

01711.jpg

01910.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's great to have such a detailed history, and the hat looks like it needs just a little tlc to get into shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24