Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a Tough Time Finding Super-Casual Neckwear

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
'Notice also that the female figure appears to have empty eye sockets and a partially shriveled, shrunken head. This, with her child-like pigtails and Victorian attire, suggest a grotesque, desexualized child-mother figure'.

I hadn't noticed that either!

I've never been accused of having style or confidence before... I need to go away and consider a suitable response...

Alan

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Bandanas or ascots or neckerchiefs or the like are acceptable here in only a very few situations:

(...)

3. If you are a frivolous twit and unashamed to show it.

You rang?

DSC01784.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00804.jpg

tDSC00456.jpg

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
You can have my cravat when you pry it from my cold, dead, beautifully-manicured fingers.

Seriously, though, I wear cravats for a number of reasons. One of those is sweat in the summer: a layer of silk prevents my sweaty neck from rubbing uncomfortably on my shirt collar, and fills the gap in an open collar with something more aesthetically pleasing than chest hair. Any assumptions you might choose to make about my sexuality as a result are based entirely on your own prejudice, much like the way some people feel about cowboy boots, low waistbands or tattoos.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I wear a bandanna when I'm doing farm work. It doesn't get much more casual than that, although I'm not trying to make a fashion statement, just keeping the sun off my neck and sopping up sweat.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Fletch said:
I agree it shouldn't. Trouble is, it does. And not necessarily in conservative areas, but among Americans of taste. That's just the way it is.(Emphasis added.)

I would suggest that taste, like many things, is relative. I certainly would not be comfortable imposing my idea of "taste" as the national standard. Conversely, you seem to suggest that there is a single set of precepts that one must adhere to in order to qualify as an "American of taste." If so, I must have missed the memo... [huh]

inappropriate

New in Town
Goodness, what a cute little row I've caused.

My deportment in the physical world (you know, on the other side of the monitor) is the antipode of "stuffy." I can get away with wearing anything that suits my tastes, which, apart from the ascots, is actually rather conservative. I own many casual ascots, and only a few ties, reserved for formal occassions, which I'm almost never a party to and as a result I almost never wear them. So, thanks for trying to be helpful in your warning, but, really, you ought to have taken some account of the simple fact I hope you know: it's not what you're wearing, but how you wear it.

And in any case, if Cary Grant wore it AND Humphrey Bogart wore it, whatever it is - be it bandanas, ascots or ladies' underpants, doesn't matter - to be in their sartorial company, I'm going to at least try wearing it and find out how it works for me. That's the essence of the sartorial adventure, and it's good fun.

Thanks for the link to the bandana site, although the patterns are a bit too "western" for me, and in any case I wouldn't buy an article of clothing online without seeing a genuine photograph of it (none of these MSPaint-colored pattern illustrations.) Something solid, checkered, striped, polka-dotted or maybe paisley would work. I suppose that indicates that I'm more after the Brits' look, though I swear I've seen solid-patterened neckerchiefs worn by plenty of prominent American actors of Hollywood's Golden Age... Anyway, any links for articles in that trend, with less "active" patterns? I've searched and searched, and nearly everything I've found looks pretty much like what the store that you linked to offered.

In any case, if someone won't wear something because it seems "gay," well, that's more an indication of his low levels of maturity, sexual security, self-confidence, sense of style and linguistical capacity than a mark against any innocent article of clothing that he's simply failing to be comfortable in. And if there are any rules on this forum about the original poster having control over the direction taken by the discussion in a thread he starts, then I'd like to encourage the gentlemanly departure from this correspondence of anyone who is determined to be childish and distract from my holy mission to acquire more articles of clothing. This invitation does not necessarily extend to any of the tie-Nazis who, at least, haven't used the word "gay," but, well, you're still no help to me.

Ciao.

inappropriate

New in Town
Miss Neecerie,

That's a very good idea. Thanks very much for it. The only trouble is that I haven't clue of what particular kind of fabric would be best-suited for this sort of neckwear, that I don't know quite how much I'd need to order and finally that I'm unfamiliar with the better fabric retailers online (so links would be much appreciated.)

But, those paltry obstacles easily overcome, I'll be certain to give you suggestion a try.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic