Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello and......

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Well then.....
Here we go.
Long time lurker....1st time poster.
notice some wet shavers here.
My name is Rick and I have always loved hats....except when I was in the Navy and HAD to wear one.

I have a couple of questions for the all knowing:

*1: Is it safe to stretch a Panama (Cuenca) hat and
*2: What would be a nice style hat that can cross over from casual to business casual attire ?

I have an all wool Fedora style lid I wear in blustery weather (read: 50 degrees in So. Cal). I will be learning here how to block it and hopefully give it the nice shape it is lacking now. Not really stylish enough to wear anywhere but on the golf course.
I am considering a Porkpie and wondering where I can find quality for around $100.
Thanks for all the tips and any info you may have.
I hope to stick around for awhile ! :cool2:

MattJH

One Too Many
rikrdo said:
*2: What would be a nice style hat that can cross over from casual to business casual attire ?

While I haven't ordered it yet, that's what I plan on my Akubra Casual in Regency Fawn to be. If I want an everyday hat that I can wear to work in my suit or to the bar on the weekend with my friends/wife, I'm generally looking for a low-crown fedora with a moderately sized brim with fur felt that can take a folding/crumpling without compromising its structure. I have a black Borsalino Traveler which fits this bill perfectly, but it's black, so my options are a bit limited. If I had it in brown or gray, then that'd be my choice, although they're a bit overpriced and I only own one because I was given a fantastic deal on it.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Rick, Welcome ot the Lounge. Glad you finally stepped in!!
The first part of your post will require some experimenting on your part with just a few simple guidelines. If you want to have a "crossover" hat for both casual as dressy I would suggest that whatever you choose it not have a bound brim. Brim binding ( in general) adds formality to it so it wouldn't easily crossover. I can't remember exactly where your city is in SoCal but in SD there is Village Hat shop and in Burbank there is Baron's. Before you buy online spend some time trying on hats to see what looks best on you as to proportions, crown height, etc. then go shopping both online and off.
I don't peruse the other hatters much so the other guys can give you more direction there. Good luck & happy hunting!!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
oops

Didn't answer your first question.
Yes, it's usually safe to stretch a panama but has it's price. Panama's don't conform to shape changes well. The brim tends to misshape when stretched so it really should be reflanged to keep the flow of it correct. If you only need a tiny stretch, no problem.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Thanks for the welcome and the info, Art....
I love your hats BTW.
Got my eye on your Uptown and Goodfellow already !!:eusa_clap
=========================================
My straw hat is at 7 1/8 and I need it to go to 7 1/4.
Prolly gonna try the HatJack and see if I can make her fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic