Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello gents, glad to meet you all!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Just wanted to say Hi. Have been following Fedora for a while now, I don't like posting on Forums etc, but am a kindred spirit and have no one here who appreciates old flying jackets ;-(

I became obsessed with flying jackets, particularly the A-2 (of course) years ago.
Have had a number of A-2s and various other flying jackets, around 14 so far... will get around to posting my list and some pics at some point.
Familiar with Aero, Goodwear, ELC, Cooper, Buzz Rickson, Real McCoys, Alpha.

Currently only have one. An Aero 15142, seal jerky, mid brown knits, OD thread, but don't wear it much here in CT. Its probably the best fitting A-2 I have had so far. But, the bug is biting and I am on the prowl for another jacket
The search and decision making process is radical to say the least.

'Beware, once you buy one jacket and begin learning about them, you will get sucked in and will spend more... just a matter of time'

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hi welcome,

Nice to hear from Southafrica, my sister in law moved to Cape town 15 years ago! I must say it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world!
Can't wait to get back again! Is it hard to find old flight jackets in ZA? I do know you have great antique furniture shops!

Cheers Joakim

Brettafett

One Too Many
Cape Town is gorgeous. Just expensive and a touch unsettling at times ;-)
I lived in the UK for a while (a patron of ELC (visited their factory) and Aero many a time) and also in San Diego, which I feel is similar in some respects to Cape Town.

Yeah, good jackets are not available except to order online. I was severely 'burned' a while back, ordering a Lost Worlds Dubow. It arrived fine, but was hit with import duties and taxes, which almost amounted to the cost of the jacket.... had to pay up.
Almost had heart failure, lucky I was single then and could live off beans and toast for a month, wearing my new jacket ;-)

There are some local importers, but the jackets are terrible Irvin-type knock offs. Some pilots wear these weird cow-hide leather jackets, that vaguely resemble an A-2, but no, nothing worth anything.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Welcome to FL Brettafett;

Glad to have you onboard. I like the last sentence in your first post......very altruistic! Glad you're aware of the madness here.

Stayed in Dundee for about a week back in the day. I was visiting Roarke's Drift and the Isandlwana battlefield. Interesting countryside.

What size is your seal Aero?

Regards,
coffee

Brettafett

One Too Many
Welcome to FL Brettafett;

Glad to have you onboard. I like the last sentence in your first post......very altruistic! Glad you're aware of the madness here.

Stayed in Dundee for about a week back in the day. I was visiting Roarke's Drift and the Isandlwana battlefield. Interesting countryside.

What size is your seal Aero?

Regards,
coffee

It a size 40. I will post details when I get some more time, incl pics and measurements.
Will do this in Classifieds ;-)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW