Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello, I'm new!

book_lover

Familiar Face
Hi girls (and guys!). This is my first post, have been dying to get on and post, now I'm activated I can!

Hum what can I say (briefly) about myself? I live in the countryside in the Highlands of Scotland - but only a short drive from Aberdeen (which is a pretty cool city, although very small). I'm doing a PhD (social psychology and housing - in identity and personalisation of home) so shouldn't strictly speaking be spending time on here as I'm meant to be writing up.......

30 years old, married with 2 dogs, 1 cat and a beeeoootiful 16 month old little girl.

Golden era is fairly new to me, certainly no expert (so be gentle!) am hoping I can get tips on here on clothing and hair (have always liked vintage clothing anyway but am wanting to break away from the "norm" a bit more, am sick of doing the same thing as everyone else, so want to take it a bit further). Also love some of the old films (I love films) so will be looking on the Film forum for ideas.

My user name is a bit boring too isn't it? It's what I use in other forums so maybe I'll keep it, maybe I won't. It gets shortened to Bookie though. We'll see.......

Bookie

book_lover

Familiar Face
Hi Fleur de Guerre :) I thought you must be posting pretty late (lots of peeps are from the US here it seems) til I saw you were from Surrey! Hello from sunny Aberdeen!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
book_lover said:
Hi girls (and guys!). This is my first post, have been dying to get on and post, now I'm activated I can!

Bookie

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge and the Powder Room! Pull up a chair at the vanity table and make yourself at home.

You will learn tons here and I promise that nobody bites around here.

Denise

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Bookie,
Welcome to The Lounge and particularly The Powder Room. It's always nice to see a new gal join us. This is a great place to learn and also to meet wonderful people with the same interests.
Welcome Aboard
Daisy

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Hi Bookie! Welcome to the lounge! It sounds like we may have some things in common: I too am married, have two dogs, 3girls, and not really an expert on classic style either. I will say this, it has been a lot of fun getting to know the ladies in here and gleaning from thier knowledge on hair, make-up, ect.:)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Welcome! Oh wow, there's so much material on the construction of identity here you'll have a field day! ^_^

Everyone around here seems to know everything. It's great. Happy shopping! ^_^

BV

book_lover

Familiar Face
oh you're all lovely, thanks for the fab welcome. Now, before I go to meet hubby for my Friday drink, I have a first question (not sure if this should be posted in a new thread but I'll get the hang of it....)

Am off to the hairdressers on Monday. I have quite long hair, and want to keep it long as I'm just learning to do stuff to it (after 30 years!) although don't know any vintage dos yet.... can anyone advise on the best way to get it cut so I can do lots of vintage dos? E.g. I was thinking of a fringe.... is this a good idea or bad? (side swept, long-ish). Also I usually get loads of layers in for shape - is this going to make updos difficult? I'm not sure my hairdresser will have a clue - he's such a trendy lol

Looking forward to chatting with you all :)

Bookie

ETA just seen your hair Miss Neecerie.... is it a fringe, or just strongly curled so it's shorter?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if you were wanting to get your hair cut, but there are styles from the 40's that are for long hair. Examples are Rita Hayworth and Veronica Lake.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
book_lover said:
ETA just seen your hair Miss Neecerie.... is it a fringe, or just strongly curled so it's shorter?

Bit of both...its a quite long fringe that is then curled with a curling iron and sometimes even pinned to stay where it is....the longer it gets, the more I end up pinning it in the rolled under spot.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The book 1940s Hairstyles recommends a layered cut. Check out the sticky at the top of the Powder Room page.

My stylist says that haircuts haven't changed much, it's the styling that changes. As for updos, my hair is barely shoulder length, but I wear it up sometimes without any trouble. I don't really wear vintage hairdos (they're just a little too made-up for my style), but layers haven't proved to be a problem.

And welcome!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Welcome Bookie! I'm a bit of a newbie here myself, thought I have been obsessed with the Golden Era for a very long time! I have an 18 month-old son myself, so maybe we can have a virtual playdate! lol

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Welcome booklover!

I think your screen name is lovely. And I think you'll really like the Lounge as well. Such great info--especially for hair.

Hmm... I don't know about the long hair. I think many 40s looks would be perfect for you, such as the Veronica Lake look.

I'm not sure if pincurls work with really long hair, but you might want to check out the pincurl post a bit back.

Enjoy your Friday drink and we'll see you back in the lounge!

book_lover

Familiar Face
thanks girls! Did have a lovely Friday drink - and came home and made Tom Collins for the first time ever (I'm getting really into cocktails at the moment) so a good evening was had.

Thanks for the tips on the hairdos - going to try Amazon for that book! And I'll do some searches for pics of Rita Hayworth and Veronica Lake before I go along on Monday...

Sweet Leilani, good to see I'm not the only one with a toddler. Is yours a boy or a girl?

Etienne, am very jealous! Summer has blinked out suddenly here in Scotland (but then, we're hardly renowned for our hot weather). It'll be time to get the heating on before we know it.

Bookie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic