Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP!!! Is this a great deal? The horror!

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
I won't buy vintage couches, upholstered things, beds, etc due to bedbug concerns. Be very careful.

I agree, I've come across several pieces of furniture that were almost unbearable to walk away from. The only downfall is you really don't know who has had the pieces of furniture in their posession (if it's been in several homes) and the hygene practices of the owners, or their detail to cleanliness and up-keep of their belongings.

they are beautiful pieces of furniture though!

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Thanks ladies!!! I told the guy I'd take it and then offered him 50 for the set (he was asking $75 and I wanted to see if he'd go lower but if not I figured he'd give a counter offer and we'd figure it out). I was going to sell them to an antique dealer couple that I've bought a couple things from because I didn't have the space and I wanted them to go to a good home. Well, the guy said he has to discuss it with his wife and will let me know today. He messages me today and says he sold them for $80. I am highly annoyed. I thought we were bartering and he sold them behind my back. Well, hopefully they went to a good home. I'm sad but I know it's for the best.

I'm still however looking at the second couch I posted. The one where the fabric looks original. This is from a vintage loving couple who bought it from an antique dealer so I feel a bit more comfortable about the cootie factor. lol It is also a full sized couch and I wouldn't want to reupholster it. And then I am not looking at anymore kijiji ads or entering any vintage or antique store until I have an apartment. This is killing me! haha I will need to be put under lock and key as I am addicted to beautiful vintage items and a great deal and unfortunately am out of a job and don't have my own place. Baaad combo. :)

For further reference, which this may be off topic for this forum. Is there a way to get currie smell out of fabric or furniture? The couple who owned this set was a very nice middle eastern couple but from the smell of the place they cooked currie every night. You could smell it on the whole floor of the apartment building. Now, don't get me wrong I like Middle Eastern people and currie but I don't want my furniture smelling like it. My dad says he knows people who bought furniture that smelled like currie and they could never get the smell out of the fabric, that is just permeates. Does anybody know the answer? (I couldn't see a thread on this but I prob ust couldnt find it).

Thanks again fellow loungers for all of your help. You have made me feel a lot better about not getting the set. You are the best. But you know that. :) Thank you.

Last edited:

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Haha I like that. :)

This guy is driving me crazy because he has come back now and is like, "Well, who gave me the better deal? Who do I give the set to?" He also accused me of being a liar. I am so frustrated at this point with this guy I just don't even want to go there. I told him to just give it to the people he already sold it to. Even though I keep picturing how delicious they'd look in a dark red velvet. Gah! :)

Haha I like that. :)

This guy is driving me crazy because he has come back now and is like, "Well, who gave me the better deal? Who do I give the set to?" He also accused me of being a liar. I am so frustrated at this point with this guy I just don't even want to go there. I told him to just give it to the people he already sold it to. Even though I keep picturing how delicious they'd look in a dark red velvet. Gah! :)

Sounds to me like that other party is a fiction he cooked up to get you to pay his asking price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24