Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on hat

MKL

A-List Customer
I purchased this Stetson about 10 years ago here in Topeka at an antique store. could anyone give me an idea on how old the hat is?

Thanks in advance.

MKL

MKL

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Matt Deckard
Looks late 40's to me.

Does it have plastic in the liner, and that edge... I can't tell to well from the pics. Does it have holes in it from where a bound edge was or is it welted (folded over and stitched down)?

Hi Matt,

Thanks! It has a plastic liner (the center part). I believe (if I understand what you are saying) it is folded over and stitched down. No holes.

Would you know the name of it? It has logo with a rectangle with the letters "N T"

I like the hat especially since I live in Topeka and the inside logo has the Palace Clothing Co, Topeka, KS. The store has been gone for years.

Thanks again.

MKL

MKL

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Matt Deckard
It's a stitched overwelt.
The gold initials are those of the previous owner. It's a nice hat.

I don't know of the store.

Thanks Matt.

It is my favorite. I have several Stetsons (newer) since I only live about 50 minutes from the Stetson factory outlet in St. Joe. They do not compare though to this one.

Appreciate the help.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice hat

It could be a late 40's, such as a '48-49. I suspect it is an early 50's hat. Gently look under the sweatband. Sometimes you get lucky and see a "date stamp", a grease pencil date, or a "reorder tag". These sometimes have the date of manufacture on them.

Your hat looks like it could use a new sweatband, and possibly a cleaning. The bead around the sweat (where the hat was placed on a table or such) has worn.

That is my favorite shape and color Stetson. Lovely find.

MKL

A-List Customer
Re: Nice hat

Originally posted by Andykev
It could be a late 40's, such as a '48-49. I suspect it is an early 50's hat. Gently look under the sweatband. Sometimes you get lucky and see a "date stamp", a grease pencil date, or a "reorder tag". These sometimes have the date of manufacture on them.

Your hat looks like it could use a new sweatband, and possibly a cleaning. The bead around the sweat (where the hat was placed on a table or such) has worn.

That is my favorite shape and color Stetson. Lovely find.

Thanks for the comments and the info.

It definitly could use both. But I do not know of anyone in our area for such a work. Who would be a good choice for cleaning and a new sweatband and for any other work it might need?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Optimo Hat Company
10215 S. Western Ave
Chicago, IL 60643
773-238-2999

Art Fawcett
Vintage Silhouettes
190 Parker Ave
Rodeo, Ca. 94572

510-245-2443

Either of these hatters can do a great job cleaning up your hat. It will probably cost you somewhere around $50 for the clean/reblock and a new sweat, depending on shipping costs.

Art is a member here, he posts under the pen name Art Fawcett ;)

You might try brushing the hat with a hat brush to make it look better in the mean time. You will be surprised how much dust a vintage hat can accumulate on it. I know I am every time I get one in and get to brushing it. Most of the time I end up giving it a good shaking out with the brush before I actually brush it. I just did it to a Stetson Fifteen and the color was Lighter after I was done! ;) My cat always loves when I do this outside---not! She runs away as fast as she can. LOL Dust cloud phobia I guess. :D

Regards to all,

J

MKL

A-List Customer
Thanks.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help and info. I don't know anything about hats, I just wear them, so it is great to find others who do.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Thanks.

Originally posted by MKL
Thanks everyone! ... I don't know anything about hats..

That's a great looking hat. You'll learn a lot here. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions...you'll always get an answer.

For example, JP, what did you mean by "Most of the time I end up giving it a good shaking out with the brush before I actually brush it"?

David

Re: Re: Thanks.

Originally posted by Canadave
For example, JP, what did you mean by "Most of the time I end up giving it a good shaking out with the brush before I actually brush it"?

I figured someone would ask about that. :D
What I mean is that I usually use the brush first as a beater as you would beat dust out of a rug. I whack the hat with the bristle end of the brush to see just how much dust raises. If a decent cloud comes from the hat then I go over it "brush beating" it until I get most of the dust shaken out of it. Then I brush the hat to get the felt smoothed out and remove the remaining surface dust. I hope that helps. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy