Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with finger waves

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I know that this isn't *exactly* the look but I used the clamps and it gives me as close a look as I can get--yes, just the ones from Sally Beauty that you mentioned...I got it really wet and put a bunch of setting lotion on, then pulled the hair with the clamps and gathered it in the clamp and secured it and let it air dry. It's the best I could do..I should try it again to be able to make it look a little better. :) (pardon the hand and non-curled bottom...it was late and I had no makeup nor desire to finish it off :))
Sorry for the hugeness of the photo ;)
IMG_0246.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
If you want fingerwaves, but don't like to pay too much for them then try finding a beauty school nearby. They have to practice them often and usually they're really good at it. Just be sure to ask the front desk who'd they recommend. And the best thing is that it usually costs way less.

magnolia76 --- How's the model's hairstyle in the back? Did you just curl in the ends of her hair? The hairstyle turned out beautiful!!!!!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
My wave done on permed hair

Permed or wavy/curly hair creates a much nicer wave as it's already built in. This is just set with gel.
Every time I try on straight hair, the "C" shape is much larger and I have to hold it with clips in the "C" area not clamps on the ridge. I occasionally will use clamps on the ridge if it is a quick set.

This is the back view:

scan0026.jpg

And here is the side:

scan0027.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
Permed or wavy/curly hair creates a much nicer wave as it's already built in. This is just set with gel.
Every time I try on straight hair, the "C" shape is much larger and I have to hold it with clips in the "C" area not clamps on the ridge. I occasionally will use clamps on the ridge if it is a quick set.

This is the back view:

scan0026.jpg

And here is the side:

scan0027.jpg

Very impressive! I love how your mannequin head turned out!

Hausfrau

New in Town
My finger wave attempt..

Ok I tried finger waves for the first time this morning! They are so hard to do!!
I could not get my hair to do anything wet.. so I blow dried as I clamped with my fingers following the the typical instructions. As a result my hair got WAY frizzy and the hair-spray I put on didn't help. I brushed them out to make them softer. Next time I am using gel instead.

Here is documenting my first horrid attempt LOL

fingerwaveattempt1.jpg

fingerwaveattempt2.jpg

With and with out flash.

I am going to keep trying everytime I wash my hair and when I get something that looks half decent I'll post again!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Hausfrau, do you have a natural wave? I think you did a very nice job! I don't think it looks bad at all! That's much better than what I can do to my own hair. I have ZERO bend to my hair that is not put there artificially. ;)

texasgirl

One Too Many
I think you did an awesome job! Looks like you have a natural ability! I look forward to seeing more pictures, but I think it looks great. I used really small hot rollers on the ends on my waves and it curled the ends good- I want to try a little curling iron next time- I definitely do better with heat sets, I am a product of the 80s!

Hausfrau

New in Town
~*Red*~ said:
Hausfrau, do you have a natural wave? I think you did a very nice job! I don't think it looks bad at all! That's much better than what I can do to my own hair. I have ZERO bend to my hair that is not put there artificially. ;)

Yes, I have a naturally wavy hair if I don't blow dry it. I actually was always annoyed about this wave I had at the front of my hair.. but now I realise I can implement it into a finger wave! If I do blow dry I can get it straight. Also, my hair is use to getting low lights and and high lights often so the damage done to it probably makes it a little easier then finer healthy hair.

I went out and got some strong hold gel and new hair spray so I am hoping I can make it look sleeker & shiner next time!

Hausfrau

New in Town
texasgirl said:
I think you did an awesome job! Looks like you have a natural ability! I look forward to seeing more pictures, but I think it looks great. I used really small hot rollers on the ends on my waves and it curled the ends good- I want to try a little curling iron next time- I definitely do better with heat sets, I am a product of the 80s!

Thank you! That is a great idea about the rollers on the ends.. I will do that next time to get a more complete look!

Antje

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:

This is the back view:

scan0026.jpg

And here is the side:

scan0027.jpg

I love these fingerwaves, but I'm afraid you cannot do something on your own hair,
I wished I could do this, but even on a client I have difficulties with fingerwaves

this looks really superb

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'm going to a New Years party and I want to do the 30s thing...got a lovely lace dress to wear and rolls will just look wrong. So, been experimenting with waves (used lottabody bought on reccommendation of FL gals -off UK ebay!) and set the front.
I'm planning on pin curling the back (which I'm ok with) but just pinned it up tonight to concentrate on the waves.

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

Excuse lack of make up etc....

ayerio

New in Town
~*Red*~ said:

This is the back view:

scan0026.jpg

And here is the side:

scan0027.jpg

those fingerwaves are lovely!:)
I tried doing them on my hair last night, but I gave up and started on my first try at pincurls, which I did a little better at :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Kitty_Sheridan said:
It looked pretty good until I brushed it out...(pic 2) do you think I should just leave it?
K[huh]

You could try to brush it more, and re-set it and spray.. sometimes it works.. or if you do any brushing, hold onto the fingerwaves, and just brush the pincurls. They may even make just a nice little roll at the nape.

But if they look as good as it does in the first pic, I'd leave it! Pincurls and all! I'd say try it again before "THE" night, and see what happens. But really, to do it on yourself, you did a damn fine job!!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ayerio said:
those fingerwaves are lovely!:)
I tried doing them on my hair last night, but I gave up and started on my first try at pincurls, which I did a little better at :)

Thanks! Fingerwaves are no easy task unless that wave is built in. Glad the pincurls worked for ya!

ayerio

New in Town
Yeah, I think if I jsut work a little more at it, that I'll get it, I think I might use a different type of setting lotion next time. :)
hahah thanks, next time i'll do then, i think i'll take a picture :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany