Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with finger waves

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here's some of the pics- I had moved them into categories and they disappeared on here- sorry :)

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2413-1.jpg

And I used the smallest sponge rollers, blue on the bottom part

Here's the results, although this was a different day, and I think my hair was a bit longer

ry3D4802.jpg

ry3D480.jpg

ry3D4801.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
They show up on ebay from time to time. Mine are labeled Mervin, but I think that's the brand, and that they also make the regular wave clips too. But it's great because it "makes" the wave. And if that's cheating- I don't care! ;) Those other clips you see all the time are just to hold the ridges after you make the wave yourself. I can do fingerwaves on other people, but I think they are pretty hard to do to yourself. This isn't a picture of mine, but it's very similar to what they look like

IMG_0080.jpg

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
Thanks! I've got some better pictures of mine on my home computer I'll post.

I'm still looking for the combs that I saw on ANTM. haha. If anybody sees some, let me know. They are about four inches long and look like a normal comb only the teeth are super short...only about 1/2 an inch. They come in a set.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
LisaFreemontSt said:
I'm still looking for the combs that I saw on ANTM. haha. If anybody sees some, let me know. They are about four inches long and look like a normal comb only the teeth are super short...only about 1/2 an inch. They come in a set.

Is this something like what your talking about?
dc07_thumb.jpg

I keep searching Setting combs and that's what keeps popping up. You should be able to find them at Sallys, or any beauty supply. If you still can't find them, Go to a hairstylist, or Cosmetology School and ask if there was anyway, They can order them for you.

If that's not what your talking about, Sorry, That's the only thing I can think of that matches the description.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Alas, no. That isnt it. But that is what pops up when I enter the search as well which I guess means it's referred to as something else now. THe book I have is from 1937 and it referrs to these things as setting combs. If I hadnt seem them in use on ANTM, I would think they were obselete.. What I'm talking about looks like the narrow end of that comb, but there is less of a 'handhold' and it is shorter and slimmer.

Thanks, though.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Ah..You beat me to it! I was just gonna post the water wave comb.

This is what I found searching(You got me verrrrry curious, now on what they are.):
hair59tsold.jpg

Which if it is...Unforently, I'm no help, because I'm not sure where to get them...But still...If you go to a Salon, or beauty supply or someone who specializes in Vintage hair, They may know where you can get one.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
This is from a Montgomery Wards 1935 catalog. They have something called water wave combs. That might be what you are looking for?

Here's the full-size scan

3784862743_e608092af3_o.jpg

Yep, that's them! You create the wave w/ a comb and then place the comb to hold it. Brilliant!! I'm gonna search the term now...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Now you all have my looking for combs..

334-LG.jpg

has potential......7 inches wide...they also have 5 inches....

and I -know- I have a clear one in plastic which is curved and -fairly- long....would probably be enough to wave sides...

Vanessa

One Too Many
Lollipop said:
Ah..You beat me to it! I was just gonna post the water wave comb.

This is what I found searching(You got me verrrrry curious, now on what they are.):
hair59tsold.jpg

Which if it is...Unforently, I'm no help, because I'm not sure where to get them...But still...If you go to a Salon, or beauty supply or someone who specializes in Vintage hair, They may know where you can get one.

Keep looking on ebay & at antique malls. I found a set of 4 a few years back but haven't run across them again yet. :(

Cricket

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Now you all have my looking for combs..

334-LG.jpg

has potential......7 inches wide...they also have 5 inches....

and I -know- I have a clear one in plastic which is curved and -fairly- long....would probably be enough to wave sides...

I had a few of these once when I was younger. Every time I tried to do something with them, my hair caught tangled up. Needless to say, I was an unlucky and accident-prone individual. The scissors had to come out a few times. lol

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
hair41.jpg

I got these a couple years ago at a local antique sale. The box and instructions are charming, but I couldn't really manage to make them work in my hair - either too layered, or too thick, or the rubber is too heavy to stay in place, or - most likely - I'm just too inept with these devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24