Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with wedding accessories!

REC

New in Town
Hello Everyone,

I had a question for you all regarding what to wear in order to jazz up a tuxedo for a vintage style wedding.

I am getting married at the end of the year and and my fiance and I are looking to make this a non-traditional wedding. We are trying for a psuedo-steampunk wedding theme with copper, earth tones with hopefully a snowy outside.

I like to dress in modern styles while my fiance has a more vintage inspired dress. I am wearing a black one button notch tuxedo with a off white/champagne vest. I think I am wearing pleated pants but I am not 100% on that.

My question is: What can I get so my groomsmen and I can fit in with the vintage theme a little more?
I have looked into pocket watches and custom fun cuff links that will make each person stand out from the other, but other than that I have no idea.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Rob

juggles

New in Town
Just mentioned this in the bow ties thread. I gave all my groomsmen proper bow ties but it meant that I had to tie them all before the ceremony since none of them knew how.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Assuming the wedding is during the day, morning dress would be a much more vintage look than a modern tuxedo (evening wear) with a non-traditional vest. Given that Steampunk is Victorian-inspired, I could imagine a morning coat and hickory-stripe trousers with a buff waistcoat (or maybe something more exotic, like bottle green brocade, with lapels, maybe 8 or 10 gilt buttons?), with gadgets coming out of the vest pockets instead of a pocket watch... plus an antique top hat. And goggles absentmindedly left around the neck, making the ascot go askew over the stand-up collar.

That said, given your particular constraints, self-tie (and black!) bow ties, linen pocket squares, and proper studs/cufflinks will go a long way towards making a rental halfway decent. (And black homburg hats for outdoors, if you can afford them for everybody... maybe a real one for yourself and fancy-dress ones for the others.) An eye for fit and a particularly firm hand with the guy in the rental shop would also be preferable, since they tend to size everything too big (particularly in the shoulders and the sleeves).

Oh... and have you checked out this website yet?

Last edited:

Twill

One of the Regulars
Ascots with wingtip collar shirts, vintage shirt and waistcoat stud sets (these are all over etsy and ebay), gloves, vintage canes, spats, pocket squares, armbands for when they take their jackets off at the reception, homburg/derby/top hats, boutonniere with boutonniere/lapel vase.

Facial Hair! Nothing says vintage steampunk like a handlebar mustache. They have a few months... ask them to start growing now. Good luck.

dnjan

One Too Many
Just thinking that a lot of wedding pictures with guys having three-month-old mustaches could be something to regre later ...

REC

New in Town
Boushi, I've had a chance to look at the link you posted and have found a lot of useful info, thanks. I was looking at the morning dress you all have mentioned and I am starting to imagine myself in that style. One question: the wedding will be taking place in the afternoon, but will easily go into night and we are also planning on going out on the town, will the morning dress still be appropriate?

I appreciate everyone's input and have done my best to look up all the suggestions but I don't think I am finding them in the right context that I'm sure you are talking about, that being said if you all could post pictures of these items in use I would greatly appreciate it. Especially the "gadgets" you had in mind, Boushi.

*I am going to agree with the rest of the group about the facial hair, twill, thanks though :)

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I was looking at the morning dress you all have mentioned and I am starting to imagine myself in that style. One question: the wedding will be taking place in the afternoon, but will easily go into night and we are also planning on going out on the town, will the morning dress still be appropriate?

It is better to continue wearing morning dress into the evening than to wear evening dress in the daytime. At least on this side of the pond it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran