Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high end vs low end products ?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I think it all boils down to the individual. I tried a ton of mid-high end foundations and nothing matched my skin tone. I never wore foundation because I couldn't find anything that worked until Maybeline came out with the FIT me line. It has a foundation and powder that exactly matches my skin and makes me look good without looking like I'm wearing anything. The only problem is that I've gone nearly 40 years without wearing foundation and I can't get used to the feeling of it on my face. As for other items, I have found no difference in the intensity or length of wearing in lipsticks between a $10 Revlon and an Estee Lauder. The only lipstitcks that stay on me are the ones that have a paint-on color and clear sealant and the drugstore ones work great, so I haven't bothered trying to find high-end ones. As for eye shadows, I prefer the indie companies that sell highly pigmented loose powders: Sugarpill, Concrete Minerals, Victorian Disco, ect. I don't use primer on my face, but I do use a shadow primer. The much cheaper Sephora house-brand of shadow primer works MUCH better than the expensive Urban Decay primer.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I am primarily a drug-store cosmetic consumer, but will occasionally try something higher-end. For years, I had so little disposable income that drugstore make-up was my only option--during those years I found things that work for me, and I tend to stick with them unless they're discontinued or someone gives me a compelling reason to try something different.

For eyes, I'm mostly Maybelline: shadow, liner and mascara. I used to use Olay tinted moisturizer and loved it, then it seems as though the consistency changed and it just didn't feel right on my any more. I have a friend with GORGEOUS skin who loves Lorac foundation, so I tried it. Meh. It's ok, but not great--I'll use it until the bottle runs out then try to find another drugstore choice. I love Loreal loose powder.

With lipstick, I'm all over the map. Revlon, Rimmel, MAC, Cover Girl, Clinique, Le Metier de Beaute... if it's a shade of red I like, I'll try it. If it feels good on and the color lasts, I'll buy it again. Typically, I don't want to spend more that $15 on a lipstick. The gorgeous Le Metier de Beaute was a splurge; a consolation prize for being away from my husband on a work trip. It feels fantastic on, but I just can't see spending more than $30 on a lipstick again when there are others that look just as good. If people were stopping me on the street to tell me how great I looked when I wore the fancy stuff, I might consider it, but as that's not happening, it clearly doesn't make a huge difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner