Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel website updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Interesting conversation stemming from the Himel update. I guess at the end of the day, it is down to two things, price/performance ratio, supply and demand. I personally find the Himels are out of my reach, especially with the very weak GBP at the moment.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I have to agree with Sloan and justhandguns; the price point makes me smh.

I think a lot of brands seem to have got a bit carried away by the hipster-led demand, and unrealistically upped their prices. That trend is over, so I've been told, so I'm interested to see how they fare now that they've repositioned themselves at price points that compete with world famous fashion houses. The market could use a little thinning out, rationalization and re-connection with reality.

And also (and we've discussed this here too) it's kind of absurd for white-collar middle aged guys to dress up as golden era workers at the weekend. I know this and can kind of step back from myself and have a chuckle at the absurdity of it. Some people seem to be pretty lacking in self-awareness on this issue, and are deadly serious about the whole thing.

Spend whatever you want on whatever you like (of course), but the constant rationalizations of the price ('quality', 'workmanship') seem like you're trying to convince yourself more than me. And that's what real addicts (not 'I've got a lot of leather jackets, I'm an addict LOLZ' self-aware people) do, they rationalize it instead of admitting they have a problem.

I've noticed the price gap between makers start to tighten...There's still a sizable difference between say Aero and Himmel, but not like it was even two years ago. My budget won't allow for more than one more jacket. It's been ordered but after that I'm out. I can't flip the way I used to and justify eating a manageable sum as a loss. Truthfully, after seeing Seb's Carharrt I wonder if I'd ever need anything other than that.

I've noticed the price gap between makers start to tighten...There's still a sizable difference between say Aero and Himmel, but not like it was even two years ago. My budget won't allow for more than one more jacket. It's been ordered but after that I'm out. I can't flip the way I used to and justify eating a manageable sum as a loss. Truthfully, after seeing Seb's Carharrt I wonder if I'd ever need anything other than that.

We shall see. Does someone want to set the over/under on this?

Go ahead and tell me that you think my jacket is ugly, but don't tell me that I purchased the jacket for questionable motives unrelated to a simple desire to wear the jacket.

Fair enough. :)

Price is always a sensitive subject that elicits strong and sometimes acrimonious discourse. Jacket pricing is the tip of the iceberg. Why would anyone drink a $1,000 bottle of wine? At least a jacket can last you many years, or a lifetime, whereas a bottle of wine provides a mere hour of enjoyment. Yet, I have friends who do not hesitate to spend a $1,000 on a bottle of wine. Why spend $400,000 on a car when there are fantastic cars available for $80,000? I could continue ad nauseam.

Does that mean you are considering a Himel jacket? :p

Nah, you know I'm not really into light-weight jackets. XD Kidding. I've always considered it. Just couldn't afford it. Or rather, couldn't afford importing it. Would have to pay 50% of the jacket price extra for the import taxes and that's something I refuse to do.

Himel jackets are definitely on the pricier side, but they are MUCH less than many designer leather jackets. Moreover, with Good Wear jackets costing $1,400 - $1,600, and Aero Vicenza jackets costing $1,300 (depending on details), and other jackets in the $1,000 - $1,500 range, Himel jackets are not that much more. A Good Wear jacket is literally over three times more expensive then certain of the jackets favored by TFL members, but very few characterize Good Wear pricing as outlandish. There appears to me a rather arbitrary, mythical cut-off for many at around $1,200 - $1,500, and anything more is outrageous. Nothing wrong with that. Setting limits is important. Just don't disparage someone whose cut-off is $1,000 higher.

All true but the reason for the mythical cut-off isn't about having a limit, I believe, but rather about timing. I recall when I first joined this forum, how some old-time members complained about how Aero, once being perfectly affordable, has now raised their prices so high that they became no longer affordable.

It all depends on ones perception of pricing, regardless of whether it reflects ones ability to afford it. The price you first stumble upon will forever be your point of comparison and for people that got into this hobby at the same time I have, a price of around 700 GBP, established by several high end manufacturers at the time, seems perfectly reasonable for what is supposedly a very high quality leather jacket. Same as why they're turned off by a price tag of $2500.

Here's where I stand on the issue. Since I am tall with long arms and enjoy a certain fit, I will pay premium for that custom fit with a jacket manufacturer. I will also pay a premium, along with fit, for a particular nice piece of hide that may be somewhat unique, unusual, etc. I prefer a rustic appearance with a lot of character rather than a glossy new heavy finish that sometimes seems painted on to most always look new. I could care less about extra fine stitch count, straight as an arrow, super premium jacket with a super duper price point that a few feet away is mainly unrecognizable compared to some others costing less than half as much. If I was caught up in perfect perfection...I could and might pay another grand for that, but thank gawd I am not. The weathered look..the exceptional fit...and folks that's it. I also don't baby my jackets. I wear them most every where I go and doing what I do. However..I don't purposely rake up against brick walls or crawl under greasy cars in my nice leather jackets.
HD

zebedee

One Too Many
I was pleasantly surprised that owning several Aeros made me not want another one, and in fact made me want to own fewer of them.

To be happy with just two Nice Things. That's the goal. And gradually bash the hell out of them.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ultimately, Good Wear's current pricing is my absolute limit, and even then I'm probably well over the abyss in the same way Wylie Coyote is when he's overshot while chasing Road Runner - I just haven't noticed yet. Prepare to hear my screams when the bill comes in!

I like burgers- a lot...
I eat in fast food joints, and I eat them in fancy restaurants. They both fill my appetite. Sometimes the Tommy's with brick chili hits the spot, and sometimes its the Bison with gruyere.
Either way, there is room for both.
I've never owned a Himel, but I've handled a lot of them. I recommend ordering from him/ his site if you are interested in a real statement piece.
(They are actually less expensive than South Paradiso)

4 jackets by year end

Very good. I'll take that bet, no question he will be over. A sale or two and the purchasing spirit returns with a fury to close out 2018. I will post as many Ebay, etc. deals that I can to help him along lol. Naturally the already inbound Brimaco does not impact the line.

Ultimately, Good Wear's current pricing is my absolute limit, and even then I'm probably well over the abyss in the same way Wylie Coyote is when he's overshot while chasing Road Runner - I just haven't noticed yet. Prepare to hear my screams when the bill comes in!
In all honesty, a GW is only $100 more than a Vicenza Aero here in the US.

Very good. I'll take that bet, no question he will be over. A sale or two and the purchasing spirit returns with a fury to close out 2018. I will post as many Ebay, etc. deals that I can to help him along lol. Naturally the already inbound Brimaco does not impact the line.
I'm actually returning the Brimaco! I received it and it was like a 46" or 48"! 26" p2p and 30" back length! Way too big! Shame tho, great jacket...really spectacular shape and amazing color to it.

barnabus

One Too Many
Truthfully, after seeing Seb's Carharrt I wonder if I'd ever need anything other than that.

rofl! Since when did needing anything or not come into it? I've got a Barbour International, it's water proof, practical, smart, loads of pockets, room for a sweater to layer. No need for any other jacket, ever.

So why have I got three of them, all the same?

And another one with a hood?

Hmm...

Maybe a lighter jacket? A trucker perhaps? Only need one of those. Except I've got a black one as well. Oh, and a tan one. And there's the borg-lined one. And then the waxed cotton, lined one.

Let's just stop pretending we buy these for any other reason than we like them, and we can.

I might set my budget pretty low down, but all that means is that I have pointlessly dozens of cheaper jackets instead of pointlessly dozens of expensive ones.

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
Its funny how these Himel threads always end up as a pricing discussion. RMC threads don't seem to.

The fact that people expect japanese brands to be expensive and that we've been used to that for years might have something to do.

Also with RMC in Europe you can just contact the London store or buy from Superdenim, no taxes, no custom duties, etc. It's expensive but you don't have to pay a huge extra amount of money to get them. Unfortunately with Himel, Good Wear or any other brand from outside the EU (Japanese brands are being sold at Clutch Cafe now and although some are expensive are cheaper than if you buy them from Japan and get hit by customs) you have to expect to pay a shit ton of money in taxes.

If I ever wanted a Himel it was one of those racing shirts but it wasn't the price that although high put me off but the fact that I would have to spend almost an extra 800-1000$ in taxe which is insane and it's half another jacket.

Mich486

One Too Many
If you buy from RMC London/Superdenim is not that you don’t pay the custom charges, they are already factored in the final price. Handy and better than paying them to the courier though but still there.

The RMC prices though seem to go up and up and up every year. How come the buco jh-1 (a model in my opinion very much underrated) was £1600 last year and the newly restocked jackets available through RMC London are just a little over £2000? Too much demand? Were they underpriced before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willyto

One Too Many
If you buy from RMC London/Superdenim is not that you don’t pay the custom charges, they are already factored in the final price. Handy and better than paying them to the courier though but still there.

The RMC prices though seem to go up and up and up every year. How come the buco jh-1 (a model in my opinion very much underrated) was £1600 last year and the newly restocked jackets available through RMC London are just a little over £2000? Too much demand? Were they underpriced before?

If I were to buy directly from https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/ then I would have to pay well over the 400€ in taxes that the JH-1 Black costs in Superdenim.

That particular jacket has increased it's price in the official website too. Everyone is rising prices year after year in everything but the salaries don't match up :rolleyes:

Mich486

One Too Many
Done a couple of calculations and yes you save about £200 if buying from superdenim rather than importing from Japan directly on the jh-1. A nice 10% saving but still the conversion from yen to gbp would be around £1750 while superdenim charges £2095 so it’s not that the import duties are totally avoided if buying from superdenim/real McCoy’s London. Anyway, yes if you live in Europe it’s worth to buy from Superdenim (would be interesting to see if that’s still the case after brexit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925