Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historic Hillwalking

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hemp-Kemp

I have a large, old Hemp sack(might be linen, though), a flour sack, perhaps- it is hand-woven, herringbone fashion, from fat yarn and has "natural" and cream shades in the weave. A very chunky piece of cloth. I've often thought that a chunk of that sack would make up into a nice cap. Maybe something more like a WW1 era Austro-Hungarian Bergmutze would be fetching- a short bill. It surely wouldn't look TOO military- would it? In oatmeal-ey, hand-woven herringbone hemp.(?)

Again, Mr. Creeping, you have an idea.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Summit like that. Yes, I like it.
What a web site!
Greige- that's a lovely word- reminds me of those happy textile-salad days unloading 40' containers of Chinese yarns and dealing with stressed out commission-knitters, touching cloth and all that.

GREIGE- say: GRAYzh, does that work? Rhymes with BEIGE, anyway.
Lovely word- some people just call it grey(goods).

Le Sac is not really an antik, I doubt anyone will miss it.
I'll photograph it's herring, boneglory, camera willing.
Isn't it. It had to become a ruck sac a dos, or a c ap, maybe b oth !i

As you were-
Anyway, yes- like that canvas cap but more shapely- a tad higher at the front, a nudge lower at the back and with somewhat of a teardrop plan aspect to the crown panel- with something of a forward canted profile, parallelogram-ish, you know, don't they. Keep it simple, but-no flappage, functional, tactical, nor otherwise. Having said that, I like a lace at the back for a bit of ease, or adjustment. Maybe a Havelock, too, for the full Imperial.
That'll be some piece of cap!

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm looking forward to walking in moccasins next summer. I didn't make it this time round, but they're now at the top of the hillwalking list, along with a pair of rubber soled boots that I'm ordering early next year from Limmer, which I still like best after researching all the other options.

Has anyone come across any must-have items that they've added to their historical hiking 'wants list'?

In other news, it seems the Historical Hillwalkers have limped to a halt. From the photos in their gallery, some look to be a lot more historically minded than others, at least as far as the correct hiking attire is concerned.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like a pain in backside-

I think there's a good few walkers who are into the history and the walking
and maybe not so much the clothing and equipment.
Probably a few of the opposite, too.
And the odd Gebirgsjäger.

What would the name of this backlash movement be?

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The animal logo being the magpie, perhaps. There's a lot of them about at the moment, all over the place. They're scavengers, but beautifully turned out.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
I'm thinking of their mid-weight boot, for the slightly foppish reason than they don't do the heavyweight in brown.

warning on the limmers, the mid weight is what most would consider a heavyweight, the heavy weight are just insane. Also the mid-weights according to peter limmer don't fit a narrow foot.

for hill walking I'd consider the light weights.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Alexi said:
warning on the limmers, the mid weight is what most would consider a heavyweight, the heavy weight are just insane. Also the mid-weights according to peter limmer don't fit a narrow foot.

for hill walking I'd consider the light weights.

Thanks, Alexi. I've been looking at these for a while and I'm aware of their relative weights. I want a boot that provides sufficient support on anything from soft boggy ground to scree and rock. I'm patient enough to wear them in.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
ok well just to give you a somewhat relative idea I know people who hike the white mountains in the light weights. and breaking them in is going to be a month or 2 of just wearing them around the house. Defiantly email the limmers and tell them of your needs and weather you have a low or high volume foot. You are looking at the production boots not the custom made ones right? I think there is a 3-4 year wait list on custom boots at the moment.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I was going custom. When I contacted them a few months ago the wait was nowhere near that. Maybe it's changed. I'll ask before ordering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails