Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History Channel Gone Wrong

Feraud

Bartender
A silly name, but I agree, American Heroes Channel is getting better as it is bringing in more new material that is like what the old History Channel used to be. AHC is on my list of five or six channels that I'll flip to, to see what's on it, but History Channel is not on that list anymore.
AHC is getting better. I've been watching more of the channel lately.

Unfortunately The History channel made their long slow decline downwards..
The only program I watch is Forged in Firehttp://www.history.com/shows/forged...rch_bing_M_Forged+in+Fire_forged in fire info.

Late to this party, but there are so many things not right about the JFK narrative, that what ever really happened, it isn't what the official story is. And maybe that's the best answer we'll ever get[huh]...
I watched a new(ish) documentary several months ago which stated Kennedy was actually killed by one of the Secret Service agents in the car behind his. Long story short, this new theory claimed one of the agents in the second car had grabbed his firearm when he heard the first shot and was rising to a standing/defensive position when the driver braked, causing him to lose his balance and fall forward, at which point his firearm discharged accidentally, firing the fatal head shot. To me it sounded more plausible than most of the "conspiracy" theories, the agent's position lined up almost perfectly with Kennedy's head wound, and it would explain why the U.S. Government might be complicit in a cover-up, but the documentary didn't make much effort (if any) to disprove or explain any of the other theories or how they may have played a part in the assassination.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I watched a new(ish) documentary several months ago which stated Kennedy was actually killed by one of the Secret Service agents in the car behind his. Long story short, this new theory claimed one of the agents in the second car had grabbed his firearm when he heard the first shot and was rising to a standing/defensive position when the driver braked, causing him to lose his balance and fall forward, at which point his firearm discharged accidentally, firing the fatal head shot. To me it sounded more plausible than most of the "conspiracy" theories, the agent's position lined up almost perfectly with Kennedy's head wound, and it would explain why the U.S. Government might be complicit in a cover-up, but the documentary didn't make much effort (if any) to disprove or explain any of the other theories or how they may have played a part in the assassination.

Actually, that theory has been resoundingly discredited since it cam out over 20 years ago. That's right, it's been floating around since the book Mortal Error: The Shot That Killed JFK, was first published in 1992! Mark Zaid sued both St. Martin’s Press and Simon & Schuster, on behalf of the secret service agent George Hickey. They forced them to settle, and issue a public apology to Mr. Hickey! I am so tired of all the JFK and Moon Landing conspiracies. I can't remember which Apollo Astronaut said it, but it's true, the government couldn't even cover up a third rate burglary at the Watergate hotel!

Actually, that theory has been resoundingly discredited since it cam out over 20 years ago...
Ah, thanks! I don't keep track all of the theories and hadn't heard it before, so I didn't realize it was that old. But, yeah, the Kennedy assassination, the moon landings, the Black Dahlia murder, Jack the Ripper, the Zodiac killer, 9/11, etc., etc., etc.. A lot of people love mysteries, and it seems just about everyone has a theory about who did it, who didn't do it, why it did or didn't happen, blah, blah, blah. I don't think we, the general public, will ever know the truth behind any of them with 100% certainty.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Actually, that theory has been resoundingly discredited since it cam out over 20 years ago. That's right, it's been floating around since the book Mortal Error: The Shot That Killed JFK, was first published in 1992! Mark Zaid sued both St. Martin’s Press and Simon & Schuster, on behalf of the secret service agent George Hickey. They forced them to settle, and issue a public apology to Mr. Hickey! I am so tired of all the JFK and Moon Landing conspiracies. I can't remember which Apollo Astronaut said it, but it's true, the government couldn't even cover up a third rate burglary at the Watergate hotel!

^ Where's the "LIKE" (or Love) button?!? 1000% agree.

Ah, thanks! I don't keep track all of the theories and hadn't heard it before, so I didn't realize it was that old. But, yeah, the Kennedy assassination, the moon landings, the Black Dahlia murder, Jack the Ripper, the Zodiac killer, 9/11, etc., etc., etc.. A lot of people love mysteries, and it seems just about everyone has a theory about who did it, who didn't do it, why it did or didn't happen, blah, blah, blah. I don't think we, the general public, will ever know the truth behind any of them with 100% certainty.

Just a point of order, but we know the truth behind the moon landings with 100% certainty.

Feraud

Bartender
I've always found history incredibly interesting and realize how many people do not. That's fair enough. Yet I am shocked by how many people prefer a good old fashioned outlandish conspiracy yarn!
It is healthy to distrust any government but where is the line between healthy skepticism and being utterly gullible and unable to discern fact from fiction?

I've always found history incredibly interesting and realize how many people do not. That's fair enough. Yet I am shocked by how many people prefer a good old fashioned outlandish conspiracy yarn!
It is healthy to distrust any government but where is the line between healthy skepticism and being utterly gullible and unable to discern fact from fiction?

I'm with Hudson Hawk on this one, the moon landing is a good litmus test - if you don't believe that really happened, then you are way out there on the conspiracy-theory distribution curve.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I'm with Hudson Hawk on this one, the moon landing is a good litmus test - if you don't believe that really happened, then you are way out there on the conspiracy-theory distribution curve.

Agreed!

A physician who I used to work with once said when you begin to believe that this is a conspiracy and that's a conspiracy, etc., etc., you've crossed into the realm of mental illness.

- Ian

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Gee, I don't believe that the moon landings happened...

...at least, not in the way that they tell us.

I guess I'm just so kinda, y'know, jaded, because our government has done some really terrible stuff that it said only other governments do, so now I just think that I wouldn't be surprised if any crazy story turned out to be true.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Soviets monitored the American space program every step of the way, and if there had been anything off-speed about it at any point it would have been a gigantic propaganda coup that they wouldn't have hesitated to trumpet to every corner of the world. I was listening to Radio Moscow in the '70s, and they were very quick to jump on every misstep by the US. Something like this would have been impossible for them not to notice, and not to make very widely known. Unless Moscow was in on the scheme too, which stretches credulity far beyond any possible breaking point.

Who was it who observed that for the moon missions to have been a hoax, it would have required the cooperation of some tens of thousands of people who were in one way or another involved in the effort?

You know that expression, "Any two people can keep a secret, provided one of them is dead"?

There really are conspiracies, by the way. By a not terribly expansive definition, we all engage in little conspiracies quite routinely. We make common cause with some people in our dealings with other people. There's nothing inherently sinister in that. I recently had dealings with people who had quite actively conspired against me in a business transaction. Their actions would have angered me if they weren't so laughably inept.

p51

One Too Many
Lizzie and Tony said it best. When I run into someone who says the Moon landings never happened, their points are exactly how I counter that.
There's NO possibility that almost 400,000 people who worked on the program (at least 2,000 of them having direct contact to the spacecraft and astronauts) could all keep quiet, as well as the Russians, too.
No deathbed confessions?
No tell all books to put their kids through college?
All those disgruntled scientists who got laid off after Apollo 17 and many couldn't get decent jobs after that and not one cried foul over a hoax?
Please. There is simply no logic to that at all.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the rise of such theories has a lot to do with the fact that the 70s and 80s replaced the 20s as the Golden Age of Cynicism in America -- everybody was lying to everybody else, and making a lot of money doing it, so why *not* believe that NASA in on it too. If you want to see the origin of the modern snark-everything-all-the-time/sincerity-is-for-chumps ethos, you need look only to that period. The twenties had their share of cynical frauds in high places, but they were pikers compared to their grandchildren.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy