Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If it please the Nation, this day, Sunday, the 25th of September, Twenty Eleven, Anno Dominae, I purchased my first Homburg, a photograph of which, I humbly present for their scrutiny:

NewHat2.jpg

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
If it please the Nation, this day, Sunday, the 25th of September, Twenty Eleven, Anno Dominae, I purchased my first Homburg, a photograph of which, I humbly present for their scrutiny:

NewHat2.jpg

I'm so glad you've joined the club but with the bright background the camera has darkened the image and it's hard to see the hat properly. I'm sure we'd all appreciate more pictures anyway. Thanks for posting...

Scotus

One of the Regulars

NewHat2.jpg

Congratulations! And a beautiful one at that! :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I bought the hat last week at the local thrift-shop where I work as a volunteer. It was $20.

I know it's rabbit-fur felt.
I know it's a homburg.
I know it's a quality piece, made by Akubra.

I have no idea how old it is. But it obviously hasn't been worn very much. You can see the gold lettering on the sweatband. If this hat was worn regularly, then all that gold lettering would have rubbed off by now.

I suspect it was bought several years ago for someone or by someone, and that someone never wore it (or wore it very rarely), whereafter it was donated to the shop.

You'll notice the tag inside the hat says '7', this is obviously the size. In my experience, Akubra measures hat-sizes in centimeters (for example, my hat size is 56cm). But I have seen older Akubras with the numbered size-system (in fact, on the very same day, I saw another Akubra brown felt...which I didn't buy because it wouldn't fit...sized at 7 1/2, and it was obviously rather old).

I have no clear indication of how old it is, but it's certainly not brand new. It just looks new. Probably New Old Stock or just never worn that often (if at all).

fmw

One Too Many
If you are sensitive about people messing with your images, just say so and I'll delete it. I just brightened up your image a little to bring out some detail. I have an Akubra fedora but I hadn't seen an Akubra homburg before. It is a nice hat and it appears to be in excellent condition. Congratulations.

newhat2.jpg

I bought the hat last week at the local thrift-shop where I work as a volunteer. It was $20.

I know it's rabbit-fur felt.
I know it's a homburg.
I know it's a quality piece, made by Akubra.

I have no idea how old it is. But it obviously hasn't been worn very much. You can see the gold lettering on the sweatband. If this hat was worn regularly, then all that gold lettering would have rubbed off by now.

I suspect it was bought several years ago for someone or by someone, and that someone never wore it (or wore it very rarely), whereafter it was donated to the shop.

You'll notice the tag inside the hat says '7', this is obviously the size. In my experience, Akubra measures hat-sizes in centimeters (for example, my hat size is 56cm). But I have seen older Akubras with the numbered size-system (in fact, on the very same day, I saw another Akubra brown felt...which I didn't buy because it wouldn't fit...sized at 7 1/2, and it was obviously rather old).

I have no clear indication of how old it is, but it's certainly not brand new. It just looks new. Probably New Old Stock or just never worn that often (if at all).

It looks to be older. Homburgs were still popular into the late 50s early 60s. I am thinking it might be from that time period maybe a bit latter.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have no clear indication of how old the hat is. But I know this much: It's certainly not new and it certainly hasn't been worn much.

And call me stupid but, what exactly do you mean by an open crown homburg?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have no clear indication of how old the hat is. But I know this much: It's certainly not new and it certainly hasn't been worn much.

And call me stupid but, what exactly do you mean by an open crown homburg?

An "open crown" hat has no crease when you buy it. Either you or the retailer you get it from puts in the shape of crease you want it to have. I have an Akubra I bought back in the early 70s and it had the same style of size tag as yours. I would'nt think it was much older than that. (crease in the US/bash in Australia)

Like I said it could be latter. If the liner is stitched it might give some indication. In general glued liners come in around the early to mid 60s.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I really couldn't tell you if it was or wasn't an open crown hat. What you see in the photos is what I found on the hat-rack at the shop. That's all I know.

And the leather sweatband appears to be stitched into the hat, not glued.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I really couldn't tell you if it was or wasn't an open crown hat. What you see in the photos is what I found on the hat-rack at the shop. That's all I know.

And the leather sweatband appears to be stitched into the hat, not glued.

Since it has a reeded sweatband, it has to be sewn in, as are all sweatbands. It's the white liner that would be either sewn or glued. My guess from the style of crest/logo on the white liner and the style of size tag that it is no older than the early 70's. Still it's a damn fine looking Homburg :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner