Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide leather jacket care/ maintenance

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello
What about SCHOTT'S Horsehide? My Jacket is about 5 years old? What would you use?
Thank You
Peter
Peter, I wouldn't use anything on your Schott. As it is only five years old, you should be good to go for another 15 years or so before it needs a conditioner. Only when the leather feels a bit dry to the touch should you put anything on it.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Peter, I wouldn't use anything on your Schott. As it is only five years old, you should be good to go for another 15 years or so before it needs a conditioner. Only when the leather feels a bit dry to the touch should you put anything on it.
Hi
Thank You for your input on Conditioning my jacket. I don't want to change the way the Leather feels. I will leave it alone.
Thanks
Pete

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if you feel the leather becomes dry then you condition those dry part, if not then no need to condition. do it like if you have dry elbow then you put hand cream on your elbow, doesn't mean you need full body skin conditioning.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Horsehide?
Yep

IMG_5475.jpeg

zebedee

One Too Many
Even here in Hong Kong (where it is 30-36 C throughout a long and humid summer [and humid all the time, anyway]) I have only ever seen one instance of fine white dusting on an Aero. In the UK, where I'd left a jacket hanging for two years, one jacket developed a 'bloom', but this wiped off. Horsehide is probably so dense that spores would have a hard time finding purchase. I've never seen goat develop old at all.

I wipe down jackets in HK with a tiny amount of Renapur about once every two years now. Buying moth balls, desiccant 'tubs' which live in your cupboard and cleaning the inside of your cupboards with a white vinegar/water mix will generally stop mold ever being a problem. I also find that moving the jackets about in the cupboard every few weeks is helpful.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
If you are going to put a leather jacket in a washing machine (I've done this only a couple of times with very heavily-dusted or soaked-through leather jackets. You probably don't need to), then:

1. Turn it inside-out
2. Put it inside a pillow case. Don't skip this part because it might result in damaged stitches, torn-off buttons, etc.
3. Cold wash, no detergent and no soap of any kind. 15 mins.
4. Hang it (not on a thin or wire hanger; thick hanger only) out in the fresh air to dry for one day, then rightside it for another day and dry it that way round. No heat source except the sun or your body warmth. Cuffs will take longest and might smell musty for a while, even when dry.

It will feel a bit overly-dry to the touch, but the softness and suppleness will come back. You can apply a thin coat of Renapur/Pecard's/whatever to the whole jacket, too.

It'll be fine, once or twice. NB: There isn't really any common, compelling reason to do this. If I hadn't had one jacket soaked in Shanghai anti-covid disinfectant and another covered in building-site type dust, I would not have washed a jacket at all. A sponge and cold water is generally sufficient. You'll also maybe wonder if you've damaged the jacket - I might have done, but can't see anything wrong so far. Can't see how it would be beneficial, though, unless it's been hosed with stuff you don't want close to your skin or to be breathing in.

Last edited:

Al 916

One Too Many
If you are going to put a leather jacket in a washing machine (I've done this only a couple of times with very heavily-dusted or soaked-through leather jackets. You probably don't need to), then:

1. Turn it inside-out
2. Put it inside a pillow case. Don't skip this part because it might result in damaged stitches, torn-off buttons, etc.
4. Hang it (not on a thin or wire hanger; thick hanger only) out in the fresh air to dry for one day, then rightside it for another day and dry it that way round. No heat source except the sun or your body warmth. Cuffs will take longest and might smell musty for a while, even when dry.

It will feel a bit overly-dry to the touch, but the softness and suppleness will come back. You can apply a thin coat of Renapur/Pecard's/whatever to the whole jacket, too.

It'll be fine, once or twice. NB: There isn't really any common, compelling reason to do this. If I hadn't had one jacket soaked in Shanghai anti-covid disinfectant and another covered in building-site type dust, I would not have washed a jacket at all. A sponge and cold water is generally sufficient. You'll also maybe wonder if you've damaged the jacket - I might have done, but can't see anything wrong so far. Can't see how it would be beneficial, though, unless it's been hosed with stuff you don't want close to

1. Turn it inside-out

It'll be fine, once or twice. NB: There isn't really any common, compelling reason to do this. If I hadn't had one jacket soaked in Shanghai anti-covid disinfectant and another covered in building-site type dust, I would not have washed a jacket at all. A sponge and cold water is generally sufficient. You'll also maybe wonder if you've damaged the jacket - I might have done, but can't see anything wrong so far. Can't see how it would be beneficial, though, unless it's been hosed with stuff you don't want close to your skin or to be breathing in.

I have done this a few times for Steer-hide with great success.
My process is derived from many threads a (Thanks to and mainly from @Carlos840). I don't stress the jacket by inverting and I bath soak first however apart from that (and jacket dependent) it is the same process.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...jacket-repair-tips.104840/page-9#post-3003096

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/why-should-i-buy-a-vanson.104065/page-16#post-2939096

My question is/was:
HH is waxier than Steer generally, has anyone tried or adapted the process for HH rather than Steer?

Best
Al

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've washed using a portable tub and also the machine. I prefer to use the portable tub now because some jackets soaks up a lot of water and during the spin cycle it gets very heavy and wears my machine down. Wet leather also leaves a wet leather smell in my machine too.

Waxier hides just takes longer to let the water soak in. Other than that I find no difference than the non waxy/oily hides during cleaning.

My main objective for washing is to get rid of any smell. And most of that would come from the lining. There is always some crumbs between the lining and the leather shell, I have no idea how they get there. I would open up one of the hand pocket enough to get my vacuum hose in there. I found this to be the most effective way to get them crumbs out.

Cold water and dry away from the heat will be the most gentle way to clean any garment. Sometimes it can take up to two weeks for the jacket to fully dry.

I still need to figure out a way to iron my lining. The older jackets with the rayon lining has too many wrinkles. Haven't found a good way to get them crisp looking yet. Any suggestions?

Al 916

One Too Many
I've washed using a portable tub and also the machine. I prefer to use the portable tub now because some jackets soaks up a lot of water and during the spin cycle it gets very heavy and wears my machine down. Wet leather also leaves a wet leather smell in my machine too.

Waxier hides just takes longer to let the water soak in. Other than that I find no difference than the non waxy/oily hides during cleaning.

My main objective for washing is to get rid of any smell. And most of that would come from the lining. There is always some crumbs between the lining and the leather shell, I have no idea how they get there. I would open up one of the hand pocket enough to get my vacuum hose in there. I found this to be the most effective way to get them crumbs out.

Cold water and dry away from the heat will be the most gentle way to clean any garment. Sometimes it can take up to two weeks for the jacket to fully dry.

I still need to figure out a way to iron my lining. The older jackets with the rayon lining has too many wrinkles. Haven't found a good way to get them crisp looking yet. Any suggestions?
Good to know that it is a similar process, thank you.

Not noticed a wet leather smell after...hopefully she hasn't.... (apart from me)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I'll ask about a smell in a newly acquired "Steerhide" CXL Aero Highwayman. This is the Super-Heavy (10-lb) jacket that I posted photos of in the WJAYW thread earlier today. It's a beauty, but there is a catch - it has a very musty (almost moldy) odor to it. I have never had to deal with this type of odor, but I have worked with "smoke" smells prior.

I vacuumed the cotton drill lining as there was hair and dust inside. But even sitting out in the sun and wind today, there is a very distinct odor. I think taking it to a dry cleaners may be the best option, but I hesitate as this is Horween leather and extremely thick, stiff leather at that. What are your thoughts on this? I won't be able to wear it effectively with the odor (but there is no visible mold, etc.). The jacket has only been worn a few times, however unfortunately it was stored in a garage or basement to get this kind of odor.

@iknowleather - any thoughts you have Dena?

Here's what it looks like - it looks a lot better than it smells...

DSC_0913.JPG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Can you give a quick close up smell test to see if its the lining or the leather that's giving the off gas?

If its coming from the leather then I got no idea how to clean it.

But if its the lining that's doing most of the stinking, then cleaning it with good old soap and water and sun bath should do the trick.

Also check the pockets inside out. I am always surprised what I find in the pockets. People, when you sell your stuff, check your pockets first. Sometimes there are just crumbs but other times there are something that may be valuable to you.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So the smell was impregnated into the total jacket, cotton drill lining & leather as well. Very rank smell.

It's gone now. I contacted the seller and they agreed to take the jacket back. They admitted they smelled something in it, but couldn't place the odor and did not disclose it. It's too bad, a very unique and nice leather here. I suspect we'll see it pop up on ebay again soon

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I have six different MC jackets and a few G-1's and A-2's, and unless you are wearing them daily, in all sorts of weather conditions, you really don't need to do much to them. My Vanson Comet and Aero FQHH Half-belt have been soaked in downpours and needed nothing more than a towel dry. The only time I conditioned any of my leather gear was a pair of chaps after a three hour ride in the rain. That was mostly to get the road grime off. Pecards worked great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy