Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween USA and Aero Leather Joint Statement

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Okay, here are some images to show the differences in weight between our A-2 Horsehide, Front Quarter Horsehide, and the C/E Ultra Heavy Steerhide.

leather-differences.jpg

Please note, the Steer we've selected at random seems to be excessively heavy, but gives you a clear indication of the differences in weight!

Also, here is a photo of two used jackets, one C/E Heavy Steerhide by Horween (in Cordovan) and one FQHH by Horween (in Black), which should show the grains.

steer-horseusedgrain.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
The grain differences are too subtle for me. Which colours and types does this apply to - normal/vintage? I have a normal cordovan and vintage black "FQHH" both made in May.

majormajor

One Too Many
Okay, here are some images to show the differences in weight between our A-2 Horsehide, Front Quarter Horsehide, and the C/E Ultra Heavy Steerhide.

Excellent info, Holly.

Just taken a micrometer to one of my Aeros with an inside pocket (this provides an easy place to access the hide with no seaming), and the double thickness comes out at 2.69, which would suggest 3 oz HH:D

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
My 1930's Half Belt is clearly goat (as I ordered), but has the FQHH label. I thought that was very odd. No shenanigans involved, but that really puzzles me.

nerkg

Familiar Face
No one has mentioned the ironheart/aero collab, those were the only super duty thick "FQHH" jackets I've seen, I mean SUPER heavy. Unless someone can show a picture of a non- IH COLLAB that thick. It's so thick you can tell from a picture far away. I know aero and iron heart had a falling out, I wonder if this all stems from only that in some way

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Holly, mine was built on april 2012...did you get the picture?

I'm not sure? Sorry, did you identify yourself as Cuthbert on the mail? If so, then sorry I didn't. I've just gone over the photos I've been sent with Ken and am about to email all the customers back who have sent pictures.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
The grain differences are too subtle for me. Which colours and types does this apply to - normal/vintage? I have a normal cordovan and vintage black "FQHH" both made in May.

It only applies to cordovan, brown and black, and not any vintage leathers.

If you want to send me pics of your normal cordovan, please do!

nerkg

Familiar Face
What motive would will have. It dosent make sense at all, if you don't own the company, how would money be an issue, why would he even do it.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
What motive would will have. It dosent make sense at all, if you don't own the company, how would money be an issue, why would he even do it.

This is only one of the problems we're dealing with in the wake of Will's time as MD of Aero, but none of which I can go into on a public forum I'm afraid.

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
I took delivery on a cordovan FQHH Long Half Belt in July ... One of the orders affected by the Moye mess.

Holly and her dad have looked at my photos and are reasonably certain it's equine. Regardless, though, it's a GREAT jacket. One I get compliments on every time I wear it.

I'm going to take delivery on another jacket I ordered in August, which a former employee never entered into production. I KNOW this hide will have neighed, not mooed.

But bottom line, they're all great jackets, and Holly and Ken are two of the finest people I've ever dealt with. Honest, upfront and gracious under extreme pressure. Thank you.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure? Sorry, did you identify yourself as Cuthbert on the mail? If so, then sorry I didn't. I've just gone over the photos I've been sent with Ken and am about to email all the customers back who have sent pictures.

No I didn't, Cuthbert is a nick, my jacket was an Happy Days....however I'm waiting for your mail...

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Yep, MD is for Managing Director. Usually the boss of the Board of Directors (e.g. Finance Director, Sales Director). I think in the USA you guys use variations of President, but it's basically the same thing. Some owners call themselves MD, sometimes it's an appointed position by the owner, or CEO if it's part of a larger business group.

majormajor

One Too Many
Here we go, veering off topic.....

For the pedants out there:

MD (Managing Director) is a very common UK term (not self appointed - it has legal significance)...

CEO (Chief Executive Officer) is a US term (same rider applies).....

We are now so far down this thread that links are being reposted, and folks are just repeating things already said. Maybe we should just leave Holly & Ken to sort this out. I KNOW they will:D

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
CRAP! My FQHH cordovan half belt has the exact same grain as the heavy steer shown in cloudylemonade's example. Assuming Aero confirms this is steerhide and not FQHH, do I have to mail the jacket back for returns? I must admit it is insanely heavy to wear, but I just assumed that was what FQHH was like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran