Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween USA and Aero Leather Joint Statement

Guys, I would really recommend to stop stirring this pot too much. I can sympathize with everybody who is concerned that his FQHH-jacket might be mundane steer now, but let'sbe sensible about this. The jacket in question is as nice as it was before, only your perception changed. I would also recommend to stop spreading upset posts in this thread and contact Holly by email and discuss the matter in a more gentlemanly manner. No offense intended.

I agree. The experts are at Aero. This thread is turning into a feeding frenzy of speculation....

majormajor

One Too Many
I agree. The experts are at Aero. This thread is turning into a feeding frenzy of speculation....

Unfortunately, when any thread gets over about 4 pages, most folks can't be bothered to read all the posts, so all we are getting now is repeats and repeats of what has already been said.

Can't this thread be closed now? Let's just leave the good folks at Aero to sort out this mess;)

Last edited:

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Maybe we should all take a deep breath and step back from drowning Aero in an avalanche of perfectly good returned steerhide jackets. As nobody seems to have noticed the difference, and probably wouldn't have if the weight issue hadn't come up, why not just keep the jackets and see if there might be a little compensation or an incentive for you to buy another guaranteed FQHH in the future, if horse is so important.

It's not like steer is something third rate in comparison. The cost differential seems to be because horse hides are smaller, less efficient and take longer to work with. Is horse inherently "better" in some way?

I would suggest that the biggest losers were those unfortunates who, like me, got a diabolical mixture of horse and steer, probably made up of offcuts, as these jackets would no doubt just look a bit weird as time goes on. People should look for differences in thickness, grain and colour to see if things match or not.

I want have have a jacket that is varietal purity. It belongs with the good quality!

True, we should treat it more relaxed now and not slain with Aero Jackets could be the steer!
Also, we must remember, there are only two jackets have emerged that were mislabelled

Stay calm and be happy about it better, the Aero does as it does, and rely on it all is well :)

Well, some people think it is (horse better, steer third rate … not me). On another forum at another time, this question would have opened such a can of worms and spread such a shitstorm of abuse that it would probably have been moderated …

It's not like steer is something third rate in comparison. The cost differential seems to be because horse hides are smaller, less efficient and take longer to work with. Is horse inherently "better" in some way?

During the Mark Moye AeroUSA episode..bartenders had to finally shut it down..but then saw the need to go back in and clean it up and reopen for future updates. However..it must surely get tiring that there are those who always load up this kind of thread with clutter that tends to hide any helpful posts lost among the many pages. Trying to get it back on track(or keep it simple) seems to be dismissed as another page quickly fills up.
I agree..might be better if this thread was locked..and just let everyone deal with Aero. I sure don't envy Aero dealing with all this.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Maybe we should all take a deep breath and step back from drowning Aero in an avalanche of perfectly good returned steerhide jackets. As nobody seems to have noticed the difference, and probably wouldn't have if the weight issue hadn't come up, why not just keep the jackets and see if there might be a little compensation or an incentive for you to buy another guaranteed FQHH in the future, if horse is so important.

I would suggest that the biggest losers were those unfortunates who, like me, got a diabolical mixture of horse and steer, probably made up of offcuts, as these jackets would no doubt just look a bit weird as time goes on. People should look for differences in thickness, grain and colour to see if things match or not.

Well said.. nice to see some "common sense" espoused in this thread. But then again if I'd been burned by Aero USA and then ponied up for what I was told was the "genuine article" and it wasn't? I might be a little buggy right now too.

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Well said.. nice to see some "common sense" espoused in this thread. But then again if I'd been burned by Aero USA and then ponied up for what I was told was the "genuine article" and it wasn't? I might be a little buggy right now too.

Worf

Ponied up....that seems to be the issue.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Worf

I'm glad I called it quits after being robbed by Aero USA.

Otter

One Too Many
Aero M/C in heavy steerhide size 44 weighs in at 7 1/4 pounds. I have no axe to grind in this, just posting for information only. My recent jackets have all been sheepskin or cloth and I see no reason to shut this thread!:eeek:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Van (HD). The issue has been well aired; the problem well explained and it is getting repetitious. If you have a jacket of the style/hide/colour/weight about which you're concerned it seems most sensible to contact Aero directly to solve it.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
It is now certain that your brown jacket, steer is?

No, it is not for sure, as Holly hasn't answered my e-mail, yet.

But its weight and the comparison to my black 1950's makes it more than likely. And - this is the worse thing - I assume it could be a mixture of steer and horse. The sleeves' colour is darker than the body's (can't be seen in the pictures because of the flash) and the grain of the sleeves is different.

So I go on waiting and looking forward to getting Holly's answer ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

Davo

New in Town
No, it is not for sure, as Holly hasn't answered my e-mail, yet.

But its weight and the comparison to my black 1950's makes it more than likely. And - this is the worse thing - I assume it could be a mixture of steer and horse. The sleeves' colour is darker than the body's (can't be seen in the pictures because of the flash) and the grain of the sleeves is different.

So I go on waiting and looking forward to getting Holly's answer ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

Let me know the result. I have a 30's half belt that was made in August. Both upper arm panels and the lower back panel is much softer and lighter weight than the rest of the jacket. I assumed this was standard procedure. Now I'm not so sure.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Let me know the result. I have a 30's half belt that was made in August. Both upper arm panels and the lower back panel is much softer and lighter weight than the rest of the jacket. I assumed this was standard procedure. Now I'm not so sure.
I have a steer Barnstormer made about 10 years ago that all the main panels have similar grain but under the arms have different grain, also the non showing area where the left wraps over the right is slightly different texture.
A horse Highwayman, again around nearly 10 years old has different textures but I am sure it's Horse. I thought you paid a premium if you went to the factory and matched all the hide perfectly.
I'm ok with all my jackets but just add this as i though it may be appropriate.
JT

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Sorry for the lack of responses over the weekend, I've had to move to Galashiels at the weekend and have no internet in my new flat yet, so will try and get back to everyone today.

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
@ Holly, that's good for you that you had no internet at the weekend. Hopefully, you could use the time good for you and other things. For this one has invented the weekend;-) Especially if you have degree get new apartment!
They can work on weekdays enough!

Cheers

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Hello!

I send you the weight of my two Aero Leather made of Heavy Horse (???) Hide. Could you please compare the weigth of your Highwayman / HFQHH.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Johannes

Wheight of my HWM is 3.3 kg (= 7.3 lbs) - size 38

Wheight of my 1950's is 2.4 kg (= 5.3 lbs) - size 38

Both jackets are labeled "Genuine Front Quarter Horse Hide".

Steer or Horse - this is the question:

Ken looked at your photo, and said that your Highwayman is Steer, without a shadow of doubt.

Please email me about this... in fact I just realised I think you have? Will reply shortly!

Lungomare

A-List Customer

Exactly the same with my HWM!

My 1950's in black Horse (seen from the weight it should be horse) has a much softer front panel on the left side. The panel right is thicker, more smooth but stiffer without the wrinkles the left panel has had from the beginning and have got deeper with time.

That took my mind off the possiblity if Will and Amanda ( n o t Aero!) used some "waste" coming from cutting for some parts of the jacket ... I know there is no evidence, no proof, but there were done crazy mixtures of horse and steer ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Ken looked at your photo, and said that your Highwayman is Steer, without a shadow of doubt.

Please email me about this... in fact I just realised I think you have? Will reply shortly!

Thanks for the information, Holly!

Can you say anything about the black 1950's - steer or horse or a mixture?

And whats about the different structure / grain of the front panels? There are some more concerned with different appearence of the main panels, so it would be fine to get the answer also here in the forum.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Johannes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24