Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween USA and Aero Leather Joint Statement

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Some more pics of your jackets showing the same phenomen?

Kind regards,

Johannes

"... a different grain from the rest" - like that?

Common with horsehide? Can you show pics of your jackets showing different grain of the panels?

Kind regards,

Johannes

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Some more pics of your jackets showing the same phenomen?

Kind regards,

Johannes

I was told in the past that this kind of uneven leather can happen simply because they cannot tell how the leather will crease when the jacket is first made. Perhaps Holly will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think uneven grain necessarily means that two different types of leather were used.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
I was told in the past that this kind of uneven leather can happen simply because they cannot tell how the leather will crease when the jacket is first made. Perhaps Holly will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think uneven grain necessarily means that two different types of leather were used.

I was told the same, but by Amanda - do you still believe what she had ever said? I don't!

Kind regards,

Johannes

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Calm down folks. Leather is a natural material. It often grains differently. I own one Aero and 9 other makes. Panels on jackets often wear differently and develop their own qualities. Reading these posts is an eye opener on human behaviour and how little we know about leather jackets.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Calm down folks. Leather is a natural material. It often grains differently. I own one Aero and 9 other makes. Panels on jackets often wear differently and develop their own qualities. Reading these posts is an eye opener on human behaviour and how little we know about leather jackets.

... "and how little we know about leather jackets" ...

... and the ones that foxed us pretending to be experts ...

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
Amanda always treated me fairly. Holly has also treated me fairly. I agree with some, this thread is pointless now, people have had their say, the company has had its say, nothing gained with further arguments. Paddy? Your turn...

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Given the circumstances i can see how we can be upset ,,nothing nasty in looking for answers in my book,,it would be good if Will could shed some light on what was happening,,if its not true then we can all relax @ enjoy knowing its all been a big mistake,,,,aye right,:p

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Shame on me for returning.

But really. Can someone edit and close this?

It's not Golden Age, it's not interesting, info on hide wear and identification is available elsewhere on FL, and...

Sheesh.

Davo

New in Town
Well my Hgwman has alot off different grain on it. This is my left and right arm:

5.jpg

6.jpg

For those that are interested, this is exactly the kind of grain differences I have on my August-made 30's half belt. Thanks for posting the pics.

caffeinated

New in Town
I don't understand the desire to shut this thread down. Aero voluntarily started this thread to discuss the problem they discovered and have been very open about discussing it. Some of us still have questions and want to discuss the subject. No one forces you to click on the thread if you don't want to read about it.

No one is being nasty, foul-mouthed or unfair. What's the problem?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Another nail in "free" speech.[bad]

I don't think so (I have no axe to grind and absolutely no loyalty to Aero, who ruined one of my jackets), more a question of going round and round the houses with little result.

As I suggested before, if in doubt, contact Aero directly with details - they clearly have no time to respond to each and every enquiry about the type of hide used in particular jacket in the thread.

Similarly, as far as Will, Amanda or anybody else formerly connected with Aero is concerned, if anybody wants to know the SP, contact them and ask?

caffeinated

New in Town
I don't think so (I have no axe to grind and absolutely no loyalty to Aero, who ruined one of my jackets), more a question of going round and round the houses with little result.

Do you feel like we know the full extent of the problem? I've read the whole thread and I didn't see a solid time frame for when coats were being put together with mixed hides. Do you have this information? If you were told the mixed-hide issue dated back to most of 2011 would that make a difference?

I don't think these questions are untoward or unreasonable either. I spent a lot of money on a premium product, part of the justification for which is now in question (ie, the high quality horsehide they use). Whether I should address these questions to Aero directly may be a valid point, but they started this thread, so this seems like the logical place to ask them.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Do you feel like we know the full extent of the problem? I've read the whole thread and I didn't see a solid time frame for when coats were being put together with mixed hides. Do you have this information? If you were told the mixed-hide issue dated back to most of 2011 would that make a difference?

I don't think these questions are untoward or unreasonable either. I spent a lot of money on a premium product, part of the justification for which is now in question (ie, the high quality horsehide they use). Whether I should address these questions to Aero directly may be a valid point, but they started this thread, so this seems like the logical place to ask them.

majormajor

One Too Many
Whether I should address these questions to Aero directly may be a valid point.

It is a VERY valid point, my friend.

The rest is simply beginning to feel like a witch-hunt.

If any Admins or Mods ever read these threads, can they PLEASE close this, or give us a good reason for not doing so.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
It is a VERY valid point, my friend.

The rest is simply beginning to feel like a witch-hunt.

If any Admins or Mods ever read these threads, can they PLEASE close this, or give us a good reason for not doing so.

Why cry for the mods?

You simply don't have to go on reading this thread!

I don't understand the desire to shut this thread down. Aero voluntarily started this thread to discuss the problem they discovered and have been very open about discussing it. Some of us still have questions and want to discuss the subject. No one forces you to click on the thread if you don't want to read about it.

No one is being nasty, foul-mouthed or unfair. What's the problem?

Well... any post about 'when' or 'time period' for flawed jackets(that was never answered by Aero) is buried somewhere among the past pages that are piling up fast to bury even deeper any posts of relevance. The rest consists of 'Hey buddy...does this look like HH or steer to you'? 'Is yours like this'? 'How about this..and this'? Soon any Aero expert will need to wade through tons of posts to even begin finding and 'expertly' answering much of anything. Lets see if we can add at least ten more pages before Aero has time to sift through all this mess.
HD

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I don't believe that FL members know the full extent of the problem, but nor do I believe that it will be revealed by prolonging the thread (since the key lies in identifying the hides or asking the staff responsible for the cutting/selling the hides to comment, which is unlikely to happen). I do sympathise, as high end jackets are expensive products, particularly if the material was misrepresented. I don't have any information - I'm not an Aero customer.

I think that you're reading too much into my post though, as I haven't asserted that the questions are untoward or unreasonable either, simply that in my view they'd be better addressed/answered by Aero directly as this thread is becoming convoluted and repetitious. Aero did start the thread, but presumably as a general statement to inform rather than as a forum on which to enter into a dialogue with all of the customers who might be affected by the issue?

I hope that you (and the others affected) settle the matter to your satisfaction, but I simply don't think that it'll be done in a long thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24