Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotsticks styling question

Barbara

One of the Regulars
I finally got my hotsticks and tried them out this morning. I rolled my hair dry and had trouble getting it wrapped around the sticks, so the ends look a bit odd. The wave is nice. Is there a trick to this? Should I be rolling the ends wet? Because it was easy to get a tight roll with sponge rollers, rolling wet, but dry is more tricky as my hair is so straight.

Thanks ladies!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use my hotsticks when my hair is damp. They seem to wrap easier, for my hair is also very fine and tends to slip off of rollers quite easily. I usually give my hair a quick spray of water with just a touch of setting lotion in it. If I use the hotsticks on my dry hair, it won't hold a curl. If I don't have time to wait for the hair to dry, I just use my hair dryer to attempt to dry the damp hair while the hotsticks are still in. I know what you mean by the ends looking funny. The first few times I used them, the ends were all sticking out and straight. Once I started using them with dampened hair, this problem went away.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Thanks Daisy. That's just the piece of advice I needed. I wonder over time, though if you use them a lot if they damage hair, given that you're sort of burning your hair a bit...

Daisy Buchanan

Barbara said:
Thanks Daisy. That's just the piece of advice I needed. I wonder over time, though if you use them a lot if they damage hair, given that you're sort of burning your hair a bit...
You're welcome! I worry about burning my hair too, so I go to the salon about every 6-8 weeks for a deep conditioning treatment. It seems to help. Also, if you want to do it at home, V05 hot oil treatment works really well too.

Snookie

Practically Family
I use curler papers to help hold the ends in. I was so frustrated the first time I tried hot sticks, I couldn't get any to stay. Curler papers and a light mist of setting lotion has done wonders for me.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Snookie said:
I use curler papers to help hold the ends in. I was so frustrated the first time I tried hot sticks, I couldn't get any to stay. Curler papers and a light mist of setting lotion has done wonders for me.

I was going to suggest that in the "Shirley Temple hair" thread but I couldn't think of what to call them other than rolling papers lol !

~*Red*~

Practically Family
So.... I got some hot sticks today to try something new since they seem to be THE roller to use. Just like with my rag rollers I used my royal crown dressing and toilet paper squares for rolling..But can I just say that hot sticks BURN!! Yowie Mama!! my poor thumb and fore finger!! LOL!!! So I got my fingers crossed... if it comes out no good, I'll just french braid and ribbon it up!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
So.... I got some hot sticks today to try something new since they seem to be THE roller to use. Just like with my rag rollers I used my royal crown dressing and toilet paper squares for rolling..But can I just say that hot sticks BURN!! Yowie Mama!! my poor thumb and fore finger!! LOL!!! So I got my fingers crossed... if it comes out no good, I'll just french braid and ribbon it up!

How do you use toilet paper squares for rolling? I don't know how to use these curling papers everyone talks about and I'm too cheap to go out and buy them!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
How do you use toilet paper squares for rolling? I don't know how to use these curling papers everyone talks about and I'm too cheap to go out and buy them!

You just fold the paper around the strand of hair, and then slide the paper down until the bottom is just past the ends of your hair. Then you just roll your hair normally, starting with the paper. It keeps all the ends tucked in nicely.

Toilet paper is easy to use, but it tends to disintegrate in damp hair, if you're rolling damp. End papers/perm papers/roller papers hold up better to dampness and are smaller and easier to work with. I prefer to use the mesh ones rather than the regular paper ones. Both are very inexpensive at a beauty supply store! I use them for pincurls too.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thanks! I'll have to try it sometime. Usually I have good luck with getting nice ends to my curls, but those seem like a fool-proof way to get them neat all the time!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Yes, toilet paper is no good for wet sets, but for hot sets they work great! they're always on hand and they are bigger squares, so they work nice for the layers that keep falling out. So far I've used the kleenex cottonelle and Northern quilted.. I like the cottonelle better. I've decided to make an expirement of it. ha ha ha!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I bought hot sticks recently and had exactly the same problem. I just couldn't roll the hair around properly without it slipping off and I ended up with weird straight bits and curled bits, not to mention the curls dropped after about 40 minutes. I'm going to take the advice of trying it damp with setting lotion but maybe I just have to accept the fact that my hair simply does not want to curl!

Daisy Buchanan

Damp with setting lotion, it will work!!
Also, and you probably already know this, if you're not using end papers and having trouble getting the ends to stay put, just start rolling your hair around the curler about an inch up from the end. Wrap around the curler about two times, then take the length from the end thats sticking out and curl it around, as your curling that around slowly roll the curler upward so the end piece tucks in nicely. This is so hard to explain, I hope this doesn't sound totally off! But I swear it's a great way to tuck in your ends if you don't want to dampen you hair. But still a spray of setting lotion before adding the curler workds the best..

Blondie

Practically Family
I have poker straight hair, and the combo of hair sticks, Bedhead setting lotion for heated curlers, and end papers work a charm. I have learnt to be super fast at rolling them as i always get burnt fingers OUCH !
The heated rag curlers don't burn, but don't work as well on mid length hair, maybe if your hair was shorter they would work ok.
https://www.salonsavings.com/detail/942210/

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Babyliss Hot sticks are the only good ones you can get over here. In the US there are ones by Conair too.

Actually I'm lying, you can get Toni and Guy branded hot sticks too, but they tend to be more expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot