Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotsticks styling question

ShortClara

One Too Many
For mine, I startthe roller at the base of the hair and then just wrap in a corkscrew till i run out at the end, and then I bought those tiny little tweeny bopper hair claws just large enough to fit over the stick and hold the end down with. Works a charm! Setting/ curl lotion gives me frizz so I use plain ol mousse on wet hair, dry it 99%, and then use the hot sticks. I have fine, pin straight hair and it works!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I dunno how you gals do it, but I have never burnt my fingers with these things. Mine never seem to get THAT hot, but they do curl my hair just fine. Also, if you hold the sticks by the ends, you will avoid burning your fingers. Only the middles get hot.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ShortClara said:
For mine, I startthe roller at the base of the hair and then just wrap in a corkscrew till i run out at the end, and then I bought those tiny little tweeny bopper hair claws just large enough to fit over the stick and hold the end down with. Works a charm! Setting/ curl lotion gives me frizz so I use plain ol mousse on wet hair, dry it 99%, and then use the hot sticks. I have fine, pin straight hair and it works!

holy carp, this is a fantastic idea! i'll try this next time - the only problem i've been having with my hotsticks is getting the ends tucked in. other than that, they're wonderful! it gets easier every time i do it. my hair doesn't hold curl well, and yet i usually get a couple days (one of great curls, the next of wavy fluff) out of my 'sticks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShooShooBaby said:
holy carp, this is a fantastic idea! i'll try this next time - the only problem i've been having with my hotsticks is getting the ends tucked in. other than that, they're wonderful! it gets easier every time i do it. my hair doesn't hold curl well, and yet i usually get a couple days (one of great curls, the next of wavy fluff) out of my 'sticks!

I have had great success using end papers with my Hot Sticks.

roots66

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I dunno how you gals do it, but I have never burnt my fingers with these things. Mine never seem to get THAT hot, but they do curl my hair just fine. Also, if you hold the sticks by the ends, you will avoid burning your fingers. Only the middles get hot.

Well, you *do* have to hold the ends of your hair against the middle of the stick for a second or two before you start rolling up--at least I do! And my set gets pretty darn hot. With practice you get the hang of doing this quickly enough to avoid "feeling the burn" (as Jane Fonda used to say), but every now and then I wind up lingering a second too long and involuntarily yelping, "Yeouch! Hothothothothothothot!"

End papers not only keep the ends tidy, but seem to have a slight insulating effect on the finger or thumb that holds the ends to the stick in the pre-roll phase. One can only hope they help insulate the ends against heat damage, but that's probably wishful thinking.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I have the same problem with "hot sticks"!! I've got Babyliss and maybe I'm going to try to damp my hair and put some setting lotion... lol... And in two days trying the whole toilet paper thing!!! I was so deceived, because they didn't work on my hair (it is very thick and curly, but in a bad way...!!)!! Do you think that it can work well if I straight it before (I read that Lolita does that before setting her hair!!)??

MissHannah

One Too Many
I'm just trying out my hotsticks for the first time and it's a struggle! It's difficult to get any uniformity as some of the sections hold close to the scalp and some drop down an inch or two after I secure them. Also, do you roll under or over? And when you secure how do you decide which way to bend the stick before securing?! And DAMN - you ladies were right about hot they get!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
I'm just trying out my hotsticks for the first time and it's a struggle! It's difficult to get any uniformity as some of the sections hold close to the scalp and some drop down an inch or two after I secure them. Also, do you roll under or over? And when you secure how do you decide which way to bend the stick before securing?! And DAMN - you ladies were right about hot they get!

I always roll under, and I always bend the sticks up toward the top of my head before securing, though obviously they can end up falling down.

One thing you can do to prevent this is the same technique you use with pillow rollers to get extra body at the roots - before securing a Hot Stick, loop one of the ends through another secured roller, and then stick the ends together.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Good tip Kitty - I'll try that! I've actually managed to get quite a nice do from my first try - with them being so hot it's really fast!

Snookie

Practically Family
MissHannah said:

MissHannah, I know you saw my tutorial on my Hotsticks technique (posted here). Your set look much looser than mine, I wonder if it's because of hair texture or setting technique? What do you think?

I obviously roll all the way to the scalp, to avoid the "drop-down", but you probably don't want to spend 15 minutes brushing your poodle frizz! :)

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
One thing you can do to prevent this is the same technique you use with pillow rollers to get extra body at the roots - before securing a Hot Stick, loop one of the ends through another secured roller, and then stick the ends together.
What is this technique of which you speak?? Please elaborate, Miss Kitty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot