Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotsticks styling question

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lulu-in-Ny said:
What is this technique of which you speak?? Please elaborate, Miss Kitty!

When the ends of the rollers are secured, they form a sort of loop. Secure the first one. Then, when you roll the second one, stick one end of it through the loop of the first roller, before securing the ends. This will help prevent it from flipping over.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
When the ends of the rollers are secured, they form a sort of loop. Secure the first one. Then, when you roll the second one, stick one end of it through the loop of the first roller, before securing the ends. This will help prevent it from flipping over.
Aha!... I see. Thank you!

roots66

One of the Regulars
positivelypinup said:
I think you guys sold me on the idea. I'll have to try them. Any suggestions on brands?

They're manufactured by Conair. You might find them at Sally's with the brand name of Babyliss or Jilbere de Paris, but from what I can tell those are just subsidiaries of Conair. I once saw a set on eBay with the name LA Salon--it came with 40 sticks, which appeared to be in three different sizes--but that seems to be a rare item.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Snookie said:
MissHannah, I know you saw my tutorial on my Hotsticks technique (posted here). Your set look much looser than mine, I wonder if it's because of hair texture or setting technique? What do you think?

I obviously roll all the way to the scalp, to avoid the "drop-down", but you probably don't want to spend 15 minutes brushing your poodle frizz! :)

Well I wind all the way to the scalp but when I secure the stick it drops a few 'rolls' down on most of them, but not all and I can't work out why! I'm going to have a go at Kitty's tip though and see if that helps. Any further advice would be welcome though - clearly you are the Mistress of hotsticks around here!

MissS

A-List Customer
KittyT said:

Oh, duh, that makes sense! Thanks KittyT - I'm going to test this one out tonight with my pillow curlers.

Snookie

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Well I wind all the way to the scalp but when I secure the stick it drops a few 'rolls' down on most of them, but not all and I can't work out why! I'm going to have a go at Kitty's tip though and see if that helps. Any further advice would be welcome though - clearly you are the Mistress of hotsticks around here!

When I wind them, I just wind really tight, so that it's pressing against my scalp and can't flip down. This works whether you're curling up or down. It's rather tight, but the curlers are only in for 15 minutes max, so it's not terrible (mine cool really fast, much faster than my 1970's era hot rollers). I figure someday the little hole will snap from the pressure, but I'm getting good use out of them and won't mind buying a new set.

Miss Hannah, I like how your curls aren't quite as tight as mine. Do you use more hair per roller? (I doubt your Hot Sticks are bigger, right?) I told you in that other thread I'm gonna copy you! ;)

leaette

A-List Customer
snookie, that is a fantastic tutorial! i'm growing my hair out and i can't wait till it's your length. your finished pictures are stunning! just like out of the movies.

i just got my conair hotsticks at walmart not too long ago for $15. i have only tried it once and my hair slipped out of almost all of them. now, i didn't use end papers and my hair is only chin length and it's super fine. so i'm going to get me some end papers and try the tricks you gals have posted.

i love the lounge!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Snookie said:
When I wind them, I just wind really tight, so that it's pressing against my scalp and can't flip down. This works whether you're curling up or down. It's rather tight, but the curlers are only in for 15 minutes max, so it's not terrible (mine cool really fast, much faster than my 1970's era hot rollers). I figure someday the little hole will snap from the pressure, but I'm getting good use out of them and won't mind buying a new set.

Miss Hannah, I like how your curls aren't quite as tight as mine. Do you use more hair per roller? (I doubt your Hot Sticks are bigger, right?) I told you in that other thread I'm gonna copy you! ;)

I probably am using more hair per stick than you as I have really thick coarse hair, which may also be the cause of the 'dropping' issue! I thought I was winding them pretty tight but I'll go for even tighter next time. Oh the things we suffer... ;)

PS

A-List Customer
Ladies,
My hotsticks came today, NIB from 'bay. There are no directions for my set. How long do they take to heat. The red dot was bright red then turned a dark red. The sticks were warm/hot in the center but not the ends. I set my hair after waiting about 10 minutes, was that enough time to heat them?

Smuterella

One Too Many
mine take about 10 minutes to heat, the middle of the stick is really hot and the ends are cool. the dot on mine goes black when they are hot enough.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
Ladies,
My hotsticks came today, NIB from 'bay. There are no directions for my set. How long do they take to heat. The red dot was bright red then turned a dark red. The sticks were warm/hot in the center but not the ends. I set my hair after waiting about 10 minutes, was that enough time to heat them?

It might depend on the set. The dot is supposed to go black, but mine doesn't either. I have to let mine heat about 20 minutes to get really hot.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Mine take about 5 minutes to heat in the Netherlands (I'm probably going to blow a fuse) and only about 8 to heat up back home.

I miss using my Hot Sticks. I've had woefully straight hair the past couple of months because the humidity, wind and rain here just doesn't make it worth it to do my hair. I feel so boring!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I need to get the classic Marilyn look with hotsticks tomorrow for a theme party, need to use sticks as am getting my roots done in the morning tomorrow so can't set my hair tonight in the usual pin curls

any recommendations re: setting patterns

roots66

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
I need to get the classic Marilyn look with hotsticks tomorrow for a theme party, need to use sticks as am getting my roots done in the morning tomorrow so can't set my hair tonight in the usual pin curls

any recommendations re: setting patterns

The gorgeous Goldwyn Girl posted her method for achieving Marilyn's hairdo in this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25110

64tonya

One of the Regulars
First Hot Sticks Experiment!

I read all the posts and decided to go for it since my boyfriend would be out for a couple of hours. What I forgot when I started was that I had ordered italian...Halfway into the rolling the delivery guy showed up! I grabbed a scarf and tried to hide behind the door but he gave me a really funny look lol oh well...
I tried tissue paper on some and toilet on others and tried both sizes so I could get all the variations in at one time as I could...I definitely liked the tissue paper better than than the tp which tended to stick to the roller and hair. Hair was dry and unwashed.
IMG_3548.jpg

Not too bad for a first try, still trying to get a hold of the brushing thing. I used a wide paddle boar's bristle brush but started to lose patience so I sprayed it with a little wax to make the frizz submit...Any other suggestions?

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
It's funny, my mom and I just gave the hot sticks to goodwill, a few years back. Sometimes I wished I had kept them, but all I rememeber was the fuzz created in my hair. Hope you guys have better luck with them.

64tonya looks pretty good! My hair just fuzzed. When I was using them, I looked the girls in the commercial, but then, it was the 80s. eek! LOL

Tatum

Practically Family
64tonya said:
I read all the posts and decided to go for it since my boyfriend would be out for a couple of hours. What I forgot when I started was that I had ordered italian...Halfway into the rolling the delivery guy showed up! I grabbed a scarf and tried to hide behind the door but he gave me a really funny look lol oh well...
I tried tissue paper on some and toilet on others and tried both sizes so I could get all the variations in at one time as I could...I definitely liked the tissue paper better than than the tp which tended to stick to the roller and hair. Hair was dry and unwashed.
IMG_3548.jpg

Not too bad for a first try, still trying to get a hold of the brushing thing. I used a wide paddle boar's bristle brush but started to lose patience so I sprayed it with a little wax to make the frizz submit...Any other suggestions?

I think it looks wonderful! Sometimes my hair frizzes a lot too, I use a pomade wax to tame it down when I need to. Nice job scaring the delivery guy! Our FedEx driver has gotten used to seeing me in my rollers, he is hoping that one day he gets to see the finished product, but he always comes in the morning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot