Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about the WORST ads?

fishmeok

Vendor
The post about Golden Age ads got me thinking- what about the WORST clothing and style ads we've seen? I'm naturally assuming that most will be from the '70s...
Here's one- Whatever happened to the polyester jumpsuit? lol

onepiece.jpg

Cheers
Mark

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Hey Fishmeok, I'll have you know, those poly jumpsuits were absolutely bitchin' attire for the traveling road/lounge musician, circa 1973 :) ...Can you imagine how hot those things must have been?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
I don't think I'm man enough to handle "action jeans"...I'd probably hurt myself.

lol Yes, but the non-binding legs make it easy for everyone to sport "Action Jeans" without hurting yourself.

A friend saw this ad and said he needed non-binding "In-Action" jeans instead. lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
I posted this ad in the other vintage advertising thread, but it's so stunningly bad that it deserves a place of honor here as well.

ad60scigar.jpg

Ohhh!!! That is good; that is really, really good! I would suggest this to anyone who wants to lose friends and make enemies.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure

ScionPI2005 said:
What was that ad for, and what magazine was it from? I can't tell from the small picture.

it was in an article on line - I just googled advertising mysogynistic and that's what popped up!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
it was in an article on line - I just googled advertising mysogynistic and that's what popped up!

You'll find a lot of these (and a link to a page with some really positive ads) on NOW's "Love Your Body" campaign page. I did a report on the founder of that campaign when I was in high school, and I love it!

http://loveyourbody.nowfoundation.org/offensiveads.html

Examples:
mitchum2.jpg

gucci.jpg

whiskey.jpg

winston.jpg

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Here are some really silly ads I found on a Flickr group pool. These were found by other Flickr members, and I take no credit for them.

At first, this ad looks really cute. Then you see the chains...eek!
2327348581_e66954def0.jpg

Blech.
2235719992_ac04793bfb.jpg

Life is so cruel!
2237203598_c979278cc3.jpg

I can't tell what exactly is going on in this one.
1347318110_294bc08a94.jpg

...or this one.
417665851_79899a1e10.jpg

Hehehe.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mulga Fred for Pelaco Shirts

Mulga Fred was an Aboriginal horseman and rodeo performer who was supposedly the model for these Australian shirt company ads, which ran from the 1910s-1940s.

Despite Fred being portrayed as something of a national icon, they couldn't get away with this sort of thing today, I don't think - especially the pantslessness.

You probably won't be surprised to learn that Fred's payment from the company was one new shirt per year.

padsund.jpg
padflag.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
gang rape courtesey of Dolce and Gabbana:
rape_ad_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

Offensive, yes. But I wouldn't be too worried for her. I am sure they are all gay. Perhaps they are jsut shakinig her down for the name of her stylist.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Calvin Klein used to have the most curious and sexually disturbing ads. Dolce & Gabbana has outdone old CK on about every level. It definately doesn't make me want to buy the clothes.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy