Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about the WORST ads?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Talking about D&G's hidden messages.
I much more prefere Diesels openmindedness:

diesel.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'll leave it up to you ladies and gentlemen to discover the vintage Lysol ads on your own time. ;)

Link to "nose blowing pleasure":
http://flickr.com/photos/jcoplest/1413902867/in/pool-hersecretpast

I obviously need these tablets for my "exogenous underweight condition."
1348271471_644fc518fa.jpg

Arsenic wafers and soap.
1290412037_542c2ace8d.jpg

Thick ankles spoil your appearance!
483082304_822aaef61f.jpg

That is one tiny mother.
760700287_f8f17c9c16.jpg

"Great shot, mom!"
494005366_30a3963768.jpg

Unlucky?
398296782_322efbc54b.jpg

Develop your charms...with hormones and "beneficial substances."
398292695_b70abc23ca.jpg

Freud would have a field day.
474828971_dec39bca48.jpg

?
446374685_d2f0334208.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I hesitate somewhat to push the Lysol button...but it's been 29 posts so far and someone's gotta get it out of the way. I give you: The Web of Indifference.

lysol.jpg

It will never cease to mystify me how this stuff could have been used for such purposes...well, I know how, really, it's just...why??? It's like promoting Drano as a refreshing gargle. Just doesn't add up.

Jovan

Suspended
Fletch said:
I hesitate somewhat to push the Lysol button...but it's been 29 posts so far and someone's gotta get it out of the way. I give you: The Web of Indifference.

lysol.jpg

It will never cease to mystify me how this stuff could have been used for such purposes...well, I know how, really, it's just...why??? It's like promoting Drano as a refreshing gargle. Just doesn't add up.
Only pure misogynism could have produced that ad and that way to practice feminine hygiene. lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Even in the 1930s, the AMA advised strongly against the use of such preparations, to the point that the makers had to go to Europe to get doctors' endorsements for print.

Unfortunately, the AMA had no public education mission then, so the knowledge of how dangerous they were was kept to the profession. The laywoman would have had to find out the hard way.

That's all I'll say about it. Back to bad ads.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Jovan said:
Only pure misogynism could have produced that ad and that way to practice feminine hygiene. lol

This is a subject that's come up in the Powder Room from time to time -- and what the ad doesn't tell you is that the main purpose of Lysol in such usage was for birth control. A highly dilute solution was believed to have exactly the sort of "germ killing power" required for such an application -- an off-label use, certainly, but an extremely common one.

fishmeok

Vendor
WOW! I had no idea this thread would get so interesting- I was pretty much thinking of disco gear when I started it...

But really, they used to put lacquer in hair spray? Now an arsenic face pad, sure that I understand, but lacquer in hairspray...
Cheers
Mark

epr25

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
This is a subject that's come up in the Powder Room from time to time -- and what the ad doesn't tell you is that the main purpose of Lysol in such usage was for birth control. A highly dilute solution was believed to have exactly the sort of "germ killing power" required for such an application -- an off-label use, certainly, but an extremely common one.

I looking around for more info I found this and thought it would pertain to this conversation

Now 89, she started douching with Lysol when she was 17!

Good morning,
I happened to be checking the 'Net just to see if good old Lysol would be safe to use on some new Pergo floors my hubby recently installed in a couple of rooms.
I'm going on 89 years YOUNG . . . LOL . . . and was very amused by the Lysol douche ad. I don't know if I'm "still the girl my husband married" as I have pretty bad osteoarthritis (could it have been the Lysol?), but used Lysol as a douche and contraceptive ever since I married at age 17!! I had two children, both sons who turned out very well, in spite of the Lysol!! LOL
It's rather funny as I used it every day for many, many years because back in the early days, we didn't have the "Pill" and Lysol was used after "the act" to prevent unwanted pregnancies by just about every lady I knew, including my mother and grandmother who had just ONE child each.
Oh, well, we must have been TOUGH as I don't recall any problems!! LOL. Just thought I'd drop a line as I got a big kick out of your site and the old info.
Sincerely,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic