Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Sol James

New in Town
I am not a "sharp dresser", like most tend to be on here... By that I mean I don't wear suits! I would say most people on here wouldn't like my style as it's less classy and more rough round the edges. I've worn hats for a while but only recently purchased a fedora. I'm not really sure if people look at me or not.. And to be honest, I don't care!

My opinion is simply:

Your dresses have to match with your mind.

For counter-example:
-A hedonistic person, always searching events, fun and happiness. But, with the classic, melancholic, philosophical, beige-coloured trenchcoat, that wears this timeless nostalgic aura?? ;)

Everyone seems to like it, especially my green rooster. Lots of looks and smiles from the women folk.

Well, you can't beat that!

I am not a "sharp dresser", like most tend to be on here... By that I mean I don't wear suits! I would say most people on here wouldn't like my style as it's less classy and more rough round the edges. I've worn hats for a while but only recently purchased a fedora. I'm not really sure if people look at me or not.. And to be honest, I don't care!

After you hang around here a bit, you'll find many of us are a little rough around the edges.

If a sharp dresser is one who wears suits, there aren't many left, even around here! Look at a photo of an any major airport crowd starting about 20 years ago, and a majority of guys had suits on. Not even close today. Society (at least here in the States) has changed on expectations of style.

You are only "rough around the edges" if you think you are, Sol. Your style appears far too deliberate, composed. Rock on!!

Sol James

New in Town
Oh yes it is sometimes composed and deliberate, No question. Especially when I'm working. What I mean is, I don't tend to wear "smart" clothes. i still think I have a style, just not a very classic style! It makes sense in my head!
if people notice my headwear, they seldom mention it to me!

For example:
On walkarounds with classic stonegrey/grey woolcoat on cold weather and off course flatcap, in my little german 30's town, odd it happened, that individuals greet me, unexitedly, but done. I don't know, what they are thinking and I don't know them, but it seems, that I am looking somehow interesting to these mostly muffeling stiffs.

Last one were a middle-aged man on his bycicle. He greeted to me, directly on passing by, but was a little to fast, so I wasn't able to react fast enough.

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
I'm almost never outside without a hat of some kind. First stop when I get to work is normally to the coffee shop across the street. I went in recently without a hat and the girl at the counter had to do a double take. She said she almost didn't recognize me without a hat... I've received a few compliments from the staff there on my hats.

Knotten

Practically Family
On my trip last weekend, every pilot said "Nice hat" as I left the plane. I know they're probably trained to find something nice to say to customers to build PR, but I didn't hear them saying this to any of the guys in baseball caps.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
In Australia, most people thought nothing of it. Most Americans either love it or hate it. My Akubra has been worn a lot, it has stains, grease marks, water damage, and has never been babied, and I don't care whether anyone likes it or not. In the USA I tend to get one of two reactions to that hat. The less common reaction is "that looks like Jed Clampett's hat." Americans who like the hat seem to think it is an Indiana Jones model even though it isn't a fedora and looks nothing like what Indiana Jones wore.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
On my trip last weekend, every pilot said "Nice hat" as I left the plane. I know they're probably trained to find something nice to say to customers to build PR, but I didn't hear them saying this to any of the guys in baseball caps.

Nobody ever trained me to say that. Then again, I flew freight and cargo generally doesn't talk much.

vintage68

Practically Family
My normal everyday hat is in the avatar picture. Fairly large brim, flat crown, amish look to it. People are used to seeing me in it and I wear it like I was born to it. So nobody usually makes comment and the few I've heard mostly people just say it fits my look. I get a lot of stares and looks, but I'm 6'1" with a 52" chest, a large beard and I'm normally carrying a pistol, so the hat probably has little to do with it lol

Just the fierce expression on your face would keep me polite! Great hat too, not affected at all. You DO look like you were born to it.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I am not a "sharp dresser", like most tend to be on here... By that I mean I don't wear suits! I would say most people on here wouldn't like my style as it's less classy and more rough round the edges.

Same here. I'm really casual. Mostly outdoorsy/woodsy (where I spend a lot of time). I think I end up stylish a few times a year, mostly by accident. :)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I walked into the hotel in LA tonight after dinner. The desk clerk says to me "I have a fair trade to propose to you." I asked him what he wanted to trade. He said "I'll trade you that car for that hat" while pointing at a Porsche Carrera parked outside. We laughed about it, after which he remarked "That is one smooth hat."
Art would be proud of that compliment!

seilerjp

New in Town
OK, so I was at Wally World today with the wife and I was off looking at stuff. I had on my tan Dobbs Fedora (1950s) with my leather flight jacket. Two young bearded guys that just looked like they had come out of the woods from hunting, passed me up and commented "Indiana Jones". I just sort of ignored them, but it was the first time anyone ever commented with something other than 'like the hat'.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have posted in this thread before, but it seems it is always evolving. I have noticed more people wearing at least flatcaps so the Fedora doesn't seem so out of place in my part of WV anymore. I can only remember one negative reaction in the last year or so. I will say though that as much as I wish I could say I don't care what people think, it does hurt your pride a little to get teased, I guess people don't grow up much. I will also say about the person who said they don't dress smart, I have found that a fedora can be worn with damn near anything, I coach basketball and its in full swing right now. We have early morning practices and my common attire to open the gym is adidas pants, a hoodie and a Stetson :)

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm going through a bit of a mental reboot at the moment. In the last year: had a young women point at me and yell "a hat! A hat!" And then start laughing. About a month later a drunk stumbled up to me and said, in German, "I see by your hat that you are English". But the other night took the cake. I was at a musical performance at the high school and I left my hat in the foyer on top of the coat racks. It was raining outside, so wearing a hat was not out of place in the least. Anyway, I come out at intermission only to find a bunch of teenaged boys tossing my hat around, trying it on, jamming it on each other's heads, etc. I was dumbstruck. Finally I marched over to them and said "Children! Hat please." They immediately straightened up and sheepishly handed it to me. One even approached me later and apologized. But, for heavens sake, I'm starting to think that nice hats are a lightning rod! My official posture is that I'm a grown man in my 50s and can wear whatever I damned well please. But I have to admit that I now sometimes wonder if I'm asking for it by putting one on. (To be balanced, I must also add that, the other day, a young woman at work went out of her way to say how good my hat looked and that she likes hats on men.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner