Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

rogerstg

A-List Customer
With regards to the looking Jewish comments, that is a concern of mine. Which is why I have shied away from wearing dark colored wide brimmed hats, especially with a long coat of similar color. ... The world can be an awful place, no need to tempt fate.

It saddens me that you live in an area so antisemitic as to cause worry for your safety.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Now that I've been wearing hats more regularly, I don't get feedback as often. With regards to the looking Jewish comments, that is a concern of mine. Which is why I have shied away from wearing dark colored wide brimmed hats, especially with a long coat of similar color. I'm tending more towards brown and camel colored hats, with a narrower brim. I even shaved the beard I had going for a while. I don't want to become the victim of an unwarranted hate crime. The world can be an awful place, no need to tempt fate.
my goodness bro ...
where in the world do you live ?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
It saddens me that you live in an area so antisemitic as to cause worry for your safety.

Same here. What's it come to when a fella has to watch what he wears for fear of an otherwise unprovoked attack? I'm not shaving my beard unless an employer offers to double my salary and cut my hours down to 24 a week, and I'm still going to wear whatever hat I want.

Uhu

Familiar Face
On my way to the post office a few days ago, wearing a Whippet, an elderly woman stopped me and said it had been a long time since she saw a man wear a hat like mine. She put her hand on my arm and told me her father wore hats like that, wished more men would wear them again. It was a nice moment.

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Today I wore my Vintage Silhouettes Silvermist fedora with a fine burgundy ribbon and bow treatment. I wore a blue silk Hawaiian pattern shirt, a Flusser wool/linen sport coat, navy blue slacks and a London Fog full length, taupe raincoat/overcoat.

It was supposed to rain this morning and get a bit sunny as the day wore on. I got multiple positive comments from coworkers who are, by now, used to seeing me in a different hat most every day of the week. "Look at you," said "Nancy." "Clint" said I looked like I stepped out of an old Depression era movie.

During my morning break, I took a walk around the neighborhood and then back into the office through the front lobby. A woman about 45? or so saw me walk in and her eyes literally lit up. She was definitely staring, and smiling. She also said I looked like I stepped right out of a movie. Later, the administrative assistant who had been helping that woman came to me and said, "wow, did you see how she lit up when you walked in?" I laughed a little and admitted it had been a long time since a woman lit up when I walked into a room.... like 25 years ago! Of course, except for my sweet wife. She never seems to tire of telling me how wonderful I am. I know, I have the best wife in the world!

i-Q6dRPQg-L.jpg

VS!

When I first started wearing hats my wife told me she would walk 3 meters behind me! She has warmed up to the idea of me wearing hats by now though. I get positive reactions almost all of the time, mostly from women. But sometimes men comment as well, stating they wish they had the balls (can I say that here?) to wear one themselves. The elderly women usually comment on how the hat reminds them of their father wearing one. The one I get most often is "where's your horse?" or "cowboy" which illustrates how far we've drifted off from the time when everyone would recognize a hat style immediately (I only wear fedoras and homburgs). Wearing a black one sometimes gets me a zorro-reference (which is in fact a family nickname) or a sandeman one. The only time I was a bit stumped was when I heard some kids make a comparison to Freddy Krueger. Whaaat?

freddy-krueger1-1.jpg

RJR

When I first started wearing hats my wife told me she would walk 3 meters behind me! She has warmed up to the idea of me wearing hats by now though. I get positive reactions almost all of the time, mostly from women. But sometimes men comment as well, stating they wish they had the balls (can I say that here?) to wear one themselves. The elderly women usually comment on how the hat reminds them of their father wearing one. The one I get most often is "where's your horse?" or "cowboy" which illustrates how far we've drifted off from the time when everyone would recognize a hat style immediately (I only wear fedoras and homburgs). Wearing a black one sometimes gets me a zorro-reference (which is in fact a family nickname) or a sandeman one. The only time I was a bit stumped was when I heard some kids make a comparison to Freddy Krueger. Whaaat?

View attachment 70988
:eek:

Ken David

One of the Regulars
My personal experience so far in the 3 short months since I received my first real hat (fur felt fedora) from a fellow lounger and chose to retire the plain baseball hats that matched my attire or a beanie for the colder days is it appears that I get treated with more respect e.g. people referring me to "sir", free coffee once at the local gas station etc., occasional positive comments like nice hat. In general I have not seen a single person wear any fedora type hats in the 15 years or so that I have called the southern part of the US (NC) my home. Originally from the north and my wife hailing from Oklahoma (several years ago I tried doing the cowboy hat thing and even went as far as getting some boots, belt, shirts etc but that did not really go over too well in the south LOL). Before finding the FL I did buy a couple of *gulp* wool type fedoras on ebay that I will not go into detail here but regardless (brought me to the new path of this hat hobby). It has been 3-4 months and there is not a single day or time I have left the house w/o one of my new hats. Out in the yard I grab one of the crushable wool hats, off to work or the store I grab one of my fur felts from my very modest collection acquired all from fellow loungers (except the champ I found at a local antique mall). I have never received any negative comments nor any "indy" comments whatsoever.

Two of the three times in the last couple of yrs that total strangers paid my tab & bought my meal unbeknownst to me, I was wearing a hat. Don't know if that was the reason behind their generosity or not.
Maybe they had memories of their father/grandfather wearing fine hats and were "thanking" you of making them think of thier ancestor. Or, you just look like you need a free meal...

jkingrph

Practically Family
My personal experience so far in the 3 short months since I received my first real hat (fur felt fedora) from a fellow lounger and chose to retire the plain baseball hats that matched my attire or a beanie for the colder days is it appears that I get treated with more respect e.g. people referring me to "sir", free coffee once at the local gas station etc., occasional positive comments like nice hat. In general I have not seen a single person wear any fedora type hats in the 15 years or so that I have called the southern part of the US (NC) my home. Originally from the north and my wife hailing from Oklahoma (several years ago I tried doing the cowboy hat thing and even went as far as getting some boots, belt, shirts etc but that did not really go over too well in the south LOL). Before finding the FL I did buy a couple of *gulp* wool type fedoras on ebay that I will not go into detail here but regardless (brought me to the new path of this hat hobby). It has been 3-4 months and there is not a single day or time I have left the house w/o one of my new hats. Out in the yard I grab one of the crushable wool hats, off to work or the store I grab one of my fur felts from my very modest collection acquired all from fellow loungers (except the champ I found at a local antique mall). I have never received any negative comments nor any "indy" comments whatsoever.

I disagree with one part. Western is big in the south. I live in E. Texas, still a part of the south, grew up in N Louisiana, and have a son and sister in Mississippi. I see more western type hats than our fedora's in the areas I visit.

I started by wearing some of the better Tilly sport hats and had some nice comments, then switched over to quality fedora styles and have had nothing but nice, positive comments, most from young ladies that are young enough to be granddaughters, and occasionally an older lady.

My wife likes them because she can spot me from a distance in a store by the fedora which stands out against the more common western types.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
I am sure that is true! I was referring to NC although technically the "south" it is unique since it is really not the deep south. Also the area I am at has lots of transplants form across the country although I do live in more of a rural small town. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner