Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
My writing or your reading? [huh]

the fedora was not seen as a special stylish or classy hat [...] while the fedora was worn by "everybody"

The fedora as such was not a special stylish or classy hat - other hat styles were. The fedora was worn by "everybody" - bums, office people, sharecroppers and billionaires. The latter probably wore Knox 40 and Stetson 100 - but they were produced/sold in very small numbers. Most were made to get you into the shop, so you at least left with a $5 lid on your head and a happy wife at your side

fedoracentric

Banned
so much wrong with this statement...

"Yes homburgs and toppers were deemed generally dressier but the fedora was not the baseball cap of the 20's. "

First of all you are acting as if all eras of fedoras are the same. They are not. Homburgs were the most common style of fedora in the late 1800s and early 1900s. But as the 20s and 30s waxed and waned, Homburgs and to a bit lesser extent derbies started to be considered a "business" hat. Bankers, Politicians, businessmen wore homburgs. Therefore it was considered upper middle class.

Top hats were worn by everyone regardless of economic class until the 1900s dawned. Then as the years moved on the topper was considered more and more a formal thing. Politicians at ceremonies, theater goers, etc. The average man stopped wearing toppers by the 1900s and the soft hat replaced toppers.

Fedoras were worn by every man regardless of class depending on the situation. Out doors, casual, even formal times could call for a fedora.

As to a $40 hat, no one knew how expensive you hat was by your wearing it. An expensive hat could only be seen once it was doffed and the interior could be seen. So saying a Knox 40 was out of reach for the average hat buyer is meaningless because a Knox $5 hat was indistinguishable to most people when on someone's head.

Lastly, you simply cannot compare today's use of baseball caps to any other era of hat wearing.

Today men wear baseball hats because of the Peter Pan syndrome. They want to look like kids. Baseball hats are NOT an adult's hat, but men wear it to echo youth and also because other hats have fallen out of favor in general use.

The only hat that spoke to youth in the 20s to the 40s was the 8 panel flat cap. But even then it was used by adults in a wide range of times and for many reasons. Workers wore them often because they stayed put better than a fedora. Cabbies wore them because they worked better inside a car than a fedora. Some wore them because they were more casual than a fedora.

Anyway, my point here is that you are making too many statements as definitive when they aren't. Hat fashion changed many, many times over the last thousands of years. Sometimes hats were socio-economic, sometimes they were only generally so, other times they had no such connotation.

facade

A-List Customer
so much wrong with this statement...

"Yes homburgs and toppers were deemed generally dressier but the fedora was not the baseball cap of the 20's. "

First of all you are acting as if all eras of fedoras are the same. They are not. Homburgs were the most common style of fedora in the late 1800s and early 1900s. But as the 20s and 30s waxed and waned, Homburgs and to a bit lesser extent derbies started to be considered a "business" hat. Bankers, Politicians, businessmen wore homburgs. Therefore it was considered upper middle class.

Top hats were worn by everyone regardless of economic class until the 1900s dawned. Then as the years moved on the topper was considered more and more a formal thing. Politicians at ceremonies, theater goers, etc. The average man stopped wearing toppers by the 1900s and the soft hat replaced toppers.

Fedoras were worn by every man regardless of class depending on the situation. Out doors, casual, even formal times could call for a fedora.

As to a $40 hat, no one knew how expensive you hat was by your wearing it. An expensive hat could only be seen once it was doffed and the interior could be seen. So saying a Knox 40 was out of reach for the average hat buyer is meaningless because a Knox $5 hat was indistinguishable to most people when on someone's head.

Lastly, you simply cannot compare today's use of baseball caps to any other era of hat wearing.

Today men wear baseball hats because of the Peter Pan syndrome. They want to look like kids. Baseball hats are NOT an adult's hat, but men wear it to echo youth and also because other hats have fallen out of favor in general use.

The only hat that spoke to youth in the 20s to the 40s was the 8 panel flat cap. But even then it was used by adults in a wide range of times and for many reasons. Workers wore them often because they stayed put better than a fedora. Cabbies wore them because they worked better inside a car than a fedora. Some wore them because they were more casual than a fedora.

Anyway, my point here is that you are making too many statements as definitive when they aren't. Hat fashion changed many, many times over the last thousands of years. Sometimes hats were socio-economic, sometimes they were only generally so, other times they had no such connotation.

The time period we are discussing is the 20's - 40's. Not the entire history of hats. My opinions are limited to that timeframe.

Regarding the Forty, other than to naysay everything I said, I really don't see what point you are trying to make.

Regarding baseball caps, I made no effort to offer an in depth comparison of their use. I simply meant that fedoras, while commonplace, had a range of styles and were not just something you threw on your head without a thought like a baseball cap.

Hal

Practically Family
Again, by and large, true. None of us wants to grow old, but some don't want to grow up. Nonetheless, it's possible that the young wearers of baseball caps are more likely to "graduate" to a proper hat in due course than those who insist on being bareheaded all the time.

fedoracentric

Banned
The time period we are discussing is the 20's - 40's. Not the entire history of hats. My opinions are limited to that timeframe.

Regarding the Forty, other than to naysay everything I said, I really don't see what point you are trying to make.

Carranty got it. You missed it.

It doesn't matter what eras you are talking about. All of hat history, just the 20s or the 20s thru the 40s. You are making a lot of definitive statements about this, that, and the other thing but it is a mistake to assume things are hidebound in the way you were presenting it.

Even in the time period YOU chose, things were wildly different. In the early 20s soft hat Homburg styles were much more common for the average, every day man to wear in any situation. But by the end of the 40s mostly only professional people wore them. They weren't the style for the average guy to wear around town any more.

So, the point is you are making far too many assumptions and imagining that there are some sort of rules that governed the styles of hats, who wore them, and why. The "rules" changed every few years as fashion and society changed.

facade

A-List Customer
Carranty got it. You missed it.

It doesn't matter what eras you are talking about. All of hat history, just the 20s or the 20s thru the 40s. You are making a lot of definitive statements about this, that, and the other thing but it is a mistake to assume things are hidebound in the way you were presenting it.

Even in the time period YOU chose, things were wildly different. In the early 20s soft hat Homburg styles were much more common for the average, every day man to wear in any situation. But by the end of the 40s mostly only professional people wore them. They weren't the style for the average guy to wear around town any more.

So, the point is you are making far too many assumptions and imagining that there are some sort of rules that governed the styles of hats, who wore them, and why. The "rules" changed every few years as fashion and society changed.

I got it, what I say doesn't matter. I write a two line post generally agreeing with TheDane that Homburgs & other hats were considered dressier during the three decades we were discussing, but disagreeing that fedoras were not considered dressy. You respond with an entire paragraph of incorrect assumptions, definitive statements, and projections. Then chastise me for making too many definitive statements & mistakes. Makes perfect sense, Mr. Hooper.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The name of this thread is "How do folks react to your hat wearing?". Maybe we should just agree on disagreeing on this sidetrack, and get peacefully back on maintrack - while we can still call each other "gentleman" ;)

fedoracentric

Banned
Strange. I am being accused of not being a gentleman just for disagreeing with someone? I can't be responsible for the other guy, but I called no one names nor did I attack someone on a personal level.

Anyway, I am satisfied that others understood my point well. That is good enough for me.

As to what others think about my hats... I don't know why we should care. I wear my hats for me, not for others. I don't care if it fits a "sub culture" or not. I like them. If others don't, then C'est la vie.

John J

Familiar Face
Its been very positive, I started wearing DRESS hats just this year, started in spring with a Nice straw and now I'm putting together some felts.

Ive had tons of compliments while covered as well as my picture taken 3 times this year all in Saratoga NY twice on opening day of the track and just last week while having coffee outside at one of the cafes, I was dressed for work (sports attire No tie), wearing straw fedora dent crease 2.5" brim the woman was carrying very serious cameras and stopped in front of us and asked if she could take My picture . she said she liked that I was dressed very nice and she loved the hat . Actually my avatar photo was taken just before that moment.

lots of comments like above.

so yes its been good.

"J"

Last edited:

Jetset

New in Town
I get stares, or sideways glances, but never a negative remark.
The remarks I do get are always positive, such as, "Nice hat, man" or, "Wow, where did you get that?", or something along those lines.
It makes me feel good when people notice, and strangely, it has opened up great relationships or opportunities at mixers, parties, or other social events.
They really work well onstage when I play music to boot :D

Anyone else get metaphorical (and literal) doors opened for them just because of their hat? :usa2:

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
"Anyone else get metaphorical (and literal) doors opened for them just because of their hat?"
QUOTE: Jetset.

Anyone wearing fine hat is someone to be reckoned with.

Regards,
J T

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Anyone else get metaphorical (and literal) doors opened for them just because of their hat? :usa2:

Sure! Usually I literally open doors for other people - of course wearing a hat. That metaphorically opens a lot of doors for me and it nearly always result in a nice comment and a smile. No doubt the hat really does wonders - but so do opening doors, helping to get a suitcase or a couple of shopping bags out the bus or train, etc. :)

soupmanrobert

New in Town
I get nothing but compliments on my straws in the spring or summer or my wools or felts in the fall or winter months.I think the worst I have ever heard was "look mommy it's a cowboy"when I was wearing my Federation Fedora.I was devastated (ha-ha)There was one time at work I wore my Fedora during our Maintenance Olympics and I actually got a reprimand from our corporate office for being unprofessional,my boss was furious since other people were wearing do rags and ball caps she told them that their criticism was uncalled for.So at our "holiday" party I let everyone wear one of my fedoras it was awesome!

Last edited:

hatguy1

One Too Many
I haven't ever had much in the way of negative comments or weird looks re my hats. I ALWAYS try to compliment others when I see them wearing stylish hats (especially ladies). But just last evening, I saw a man wearing a very smart looking green felt fedora and I told him in passing, "Nice hat." And he thought I was making fun of his hat. I quickly corrected the error of his thinking telling him, "I'm NOT insulting your hat. I'm a hat person myself."

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I always get " You remind me of" comments for people. Last night in the church bookstore waiting for my wife which is my main job in wife.:) I had a lady come up and say "You remind me of my Dad I miss him so." She talked how much she loved her father and his love of hat's. Always makes you feel good to hear that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24