Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I do like the hats he's worn in that picture. I think the one he wore to the Grammy event though, could have used a well-defined crease, like a teardrop or a center dent. It looked sorely amiss, to me.

Unkei

New in Town
I was a plainclothes LEO, and always wore a Fedora. Most people liked it and said so. I ocassionally got the Indiana Jones comment, but always smiled and told them I'd been wearing Fedoras about 20 years before those movies were made! Overall though, mainly positive comments.
Cheers,
Unkei

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Unkei, as a police officer myself who recently moved into plainclothes, I noticed that many people associate fedoras and detectives in a positive way. I generally get way more compliments than negative comments. The only downside to my assignment is that I work in downtown Atlanta and often get confused with the Atlanta Police department's homicide squad detectives (hat squad). They have to earn their fedoras by solving their first homicide. Since I don't work for Atlanta, (county cop) and have never worked homicide, I kind of feel like a poser when I explain that, "no, I'm not on the hat squad, I just like hats". :D

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I've been getting a lot of Indiana Jones comments lately--I think I've only ever had two comments in the past, and the last month I've had five or six. I couldn't figure it out, until I realized something. I bought a great new satchel recently, having previously been a backpack guy, and I think the combination of the strap across my chest with a fedora reminds people of the good Doctor. What do you think?

image.jpg

The shame of it is that I belong to the percentage of fedora wearers who would really rather prefer not to hear the comment again. Oh, well. Could be worse!

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Aaron, I had to pull up some Indiana Jones images to check, and you are right. The strap definitely boosts the Indiana image somewhat. I think that the movies are most peoples only exposure to real hats. I haven't had an "indie" comment recently but I have gotten a few L.A. confidential/untouchables ones. My favorite to date was last week..I was smoking my pipe at work while I was wearing my Derby, out of nowhere I heard "Ello Gov'nor" from teenager who was walking by. I laughed so hard I dropped my pipe.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I had another Indy comment just this morning. The lady said she liked my hat, and that it looked like Indiana Jones. I was wearing this converted Silverbelly 3X Open Road...completely different from an Indy hat! I told her, thank you. Although I did draw from a little Indy inspiration when I converted it. But, still.

3_X.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Good stories. I have yet to hear an Indiana Jones comment as far as I remember. Can't imagine why. ;)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
A while back I was visiting my grandparents after work. I was wearing my Stetson Sportlite and there was these little dudes playing around the area. One of them called me a cholo and one of them called me a police officer :p All in good fun, I find it that it's the little kids who like it when someone wears a hat.

A few weeks ago the old pastor for the church I go to came back to visit us from his business in Egypt. I haven't seen this man in years and he smiled when he saw me with my hat, he really liked it. Said I looked a lot like a music artist.

Ds5160

New in Town
My real friends like the hats and don't care. The negative comments come from others. I am too old to care when people don't like a fashion choice.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I infrequently have anyone say anything but today I didn't wear a hat. I got "where's your hat?", "your head's gonna burn", "I hardly recognized you", and "ain't you the guy that always wears a hat?"

This was at places where I don't know people but I shop frequently like Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Subway, and a 7-11.

I won't leave home nekkid again.

I wear my hats with t-shirts all the time. I wear what I wear for me, not for others. Just be you!
My real friends like the hats and don't care. The negative comments come from others. I am too old to care when people don't like a fashion choice.
I agree with Justin (splintercellsz). I also wear my fedoras with tee shirts regularly, and haven't heard one negative comment. Ignore the naysayers--create a look that works for you, and run with it.

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
my mother is in a nurseing home and to suprise her i dropped in two hours earlier than normal.
they were haveing an elderly guy visitor singing hits from the 40"s while i unknowingly arrived .
to get even for my intterupion he said i need an indiana jones hat like he has.
i said thank you altho it was a green akubra slouch hat :p senile ol bugger (joke joke )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany