Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How has your Homburg been received?

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
I have been thinking a bit about Homburgs recently and wondered what reaction you guys have received when wearing them.I recon it's likely that people might mistake them for bowlers for example.I must confess I'd never heard of a Homburg 'til I joined the lounge :eek: .
They look so smart.

Feraud

Bartender
I've received the Michael Corleone comment..
Corleone.jpg

Aerol

A-List Customer
Not for beginners

Homburgs are not beginners hats. You should probably have a decent hat wardrobe before venturing into a homburg.

That said, people were so used to seeing me in hats before I got my Monticristi homburg that to them it was just another one of my "crazy" hats.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I've received the Michael Corleone comment..
Corleone.jpg

Ah! I forgot how that pic looked.It's also the very colour I was thinking of. Now, no one can deny how good that looks. I did consider the colour black but I only need wear a black or navy overcoat (well, it gets cold up here in Scotland) to get comments like you look like an undertaker or are you going to a funeral?

epic610

One of the Regulars
here's what happens....

crowds move aside to let you pass; traffic stops to let you cross even in the middle of the block; everyone starts referring to you as "sir". young ladies take your arm like you are their prom date. all of a sudden you are feared and respected. your opinion counts in all matters.

can't handle that? then go get an akubra....

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Aerol said:
Homburgs are not beginners hats. You should probably have a decent hat wardrobe before venturing into a homburg.

That said, people were so used to seeing me in hats before I got my Monticristi homburg that to them it was just another one of my "crazy" hats.

My second hat, after getting a fedora, was a black homburg that I got to wear with a recently purchased tuxedo. My next hat was a grey homburg to wear with nice business suits. I actually didn't think I was going to get that one. I made a low bid and expected to be outbid, but later got an email I had won an auction. Wearing the black one with my tuxedo I don't get comments because people already are commenting on the tux. I haven't worn the grey one much but I do get looks when I wear it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Depending on the particular homburg, the comments vary. One I have gets me the undertaker comment every now and again, which makes me laugh, because in the liner is stamped the name of the owner, and the name of the funeral home which he owned.

tortswon

Practically Family
Thanks for the warning

epic610 said:
crowds move aside to let you pass; traffic stops to let you cross even in the middle of the block; everyone starts referring to you as "sir". young ladies take your arm like you are their prom date. all of a sudden you are feared and respected. your opinion counts in all matters.

My first Homborg arrived today. I appreciate your letting me know what to expect. Had I known this would happen, I would have found one much earlier. Best, Sam

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Art Fawcett will craft a homburg for you. It is not one of the styles shown in his website, but he will take orders for it. I have seen at least one of Art's homburgs here, one with a short brim IIRC. Send Art an email for more info.

Regarding people's reaction... any kind of fedora is unusual, and many people will not even notice the difference. There is also the option of pinching it at the front - I like the style, and to my eyes, this pinching de-formalizes the homburg a little.

Regards!

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
epic610 said:

He he love it! :D :D :D

Slim Portly

One Too Many
epic610 said:
Oh dear, what if this is already happening?

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
I remember my father being given a bowler hat when I was about 11 years old and I remember that it was quite stiff in fact my dad refered to them as hard hats. homburgs, being a little like bowlers in appearance, are they similarly stiff?

Torpedo

One Too Many
charlie farley said:
I remember my father being given a bowler hat when I was about 11 years old and I remember that it was quite stiff in fact my dad refered to them as hard hats. homburgs, being a little like bowlers in appearance, are they similarly stiff?

Vintage homburg hats are as soft as the felt they are made of is, that is, like any other comparable fedora I would say - the better quality felt, the better "malleability" they will have. The ones I have, can be recreased or pinched by hand without undue difficulty. I imagine modern homburgs will be stiffer, but so are modern off-the-rack fedoras.

Bowlers, both vintage and modern, on the other hand, are significantly harder and do not accept rebashing - and they are meant to be.

Regards!

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
:cheers1: Thanks for the info, Torpedo.I should have known that,having seen pinch front homburgs.The more I see homburgs, the more I like them.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
kabuto said:
Caps key broken?

(And yet you're so fastidious with your French spacing, which went out with the manual typewriter.)

OT no doubt, Kabuto, but please explain to me - what is "French spacing" (I am in Belgium, and speaking french every day at home, so I am a bit curious). Thanks very much.

On the homburg issue. I have one, a black Maiser from Germany. It could indeed almost be taken for a bowler. I've been wondering whether I should try to bash a crease into the top of it. The hat's actually quite nice, but being all-black, it needs some "softening", maybe by changing the ribbon or by adding some jewelry in way of turquoise stones, like I seen in "3:10 to Yuma"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace